collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Remembering 92/93  (Read 13363 times)

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
Re: Remembering 92/93
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 07:07:22 PM »
I watched that Blackburn game on TV screens set up on the pitch in front of the Witton Lane.
I'd forgot Sid was playing for them.

Wasn't it the Trinity Road stand we were in for the Blackburn game?

I was there until my mate left at half time. Boy was there a hangover the next day.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 08:44:14 PM »
I watched that Blackburn game on TV screens set up on the pitch in front of the Witton Lane.
I'd forgot Sid was playing for them.

Same here.  Still have my stub at home.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 09:00:20 PM »
We had a restricted allocation due to redevelopment at Ewood, I'm sure it was in the hundreds and we sat in the old and very cramped mainstand.
I remember being under the stand with Duran Duran's Come Undone playing over the PA and feeling utterly depressed, whenever I hear that song I'm there again.
Didn't Sid run the midfield that night for them?

You beat me to that last comment. My recollection of the night is that Sid played a blinder, but I wasn't sure if my memory was playing tricks on me.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 10:07:51 PM »

When we went to Blackburn, wasn't that when the away end was being rebuilt at Ewood? I remember hundreds of Villa fans being marched out of the home end, along the touchline and being shoved in to the away end. Was that the same season?

Yes, they had that big mural up on the stand with pictures of supporters painted on it.

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 10:12:13 PM »
I remember a newspaper quietly reporting that the premier league trophy had been sent to old Trafford while we were still in with a chance.

I heard Big Ron saying a few years ago that since the fergie time owls match every 50/50 seemed to go manures way. Considering I’m sure we were pulling up trees at the same time they were losing at home to Wimbledon that season.

Garry Parker not called up for England that season - travesty.

“If you want to see great goals, get yourself down to Villa Park” - Hansen

“We need two goal of the seasons, one for villa and one for the rest of the prem” - Motson?

Aye that Blackburn defeat was one of the worst nights of my villa life.

Man City donating 3 points.

Anfield 2-1 Parker special.

We could beat manure, manure could beat Norwich, norwich could beat villa.

Offline FranzBiberkopf

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 10:15:54 PM »
My abiding memory of that season was Stan Stauntons cracking goal up at Old Trafford on the live Sunday game. Outside of the left boot, arrowhead into the top corner.

Didn’t we also do the double over Liverpool that year, as well as bear Man U atour place, draw at theirs? But threw in a few freak results too (spanked at Cov for instance).

Happy days though. Joyfull football.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 10:19:07 PM »
Not the greatest editing but shows more of the game than you can normally find.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 10:26:52 PM »
Simple fact is we weren't good enough. We had that great few months when we looked fantastic but we started (two wins in eight) and ended (won 4 of 11) the season pretty crap. Saunders went on one of his regular goal droughts from the end of Jan for the rest of the season, scoring only 2 in the last 17, Dalian didn't score again after that great double at Sheff Weds in early December. We were a side that scored great goals, but we weren't a great goal scoring side.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:08:05 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 10:47:58 PM »
Liverpool home was a great day at VP, UTD at home in the league cup was a corker too. When we won at Forest away, I thought it was within touching distance. Then Big Ron tried to shoe horn Dalian back in the team when he didn't seem fully fit and we lost our mojo.

I remember that. IIRC Yorke had been doing ok but we rushed Dalian back. Hope we don’t make the same mistake with Kodjia

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 11:55:30 PM »
My abiding memory of that season was Stan Stauntons cracking goal up at Old Trafford on the live Sunday game. Outside of the left boot, arrowhead into the top corner.

Didn’t we also do the double over Liverpool that year, as well as bear Man U atour place, draw at theirs? But threw in a few freak results too (spanked at Cov for instance).

Happy days though. Joyfull football.
Yes double over Liverpool was indeed done. When we beat them 2-1 at Anfield Fergie said that's the sort of result that makes you sit up and notice a team.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 12:30:56 AM »
Liverpool home was a great day at VP, UTD at home in the league cup was a corker too. When we won at Forest away, I thought it was within touching distance. Then Big Ron tried to shoe horn Dalian back in the team when he didn't seem fully fit and we lost our mojo.

I remember that. IIRC Yorke had been doing ok but we rushed Dalian back.

York was doing more than okay, I always blamed Big Ron for not giving Yorke his chance, he fully deserved it yet he insisted with Dalian and we threw it away. We played some cracking football though. I'm knackered just rewatching the highlights of the draw at Old Trafford.

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 01:18:39 AM »

I remember that. IIRC Yorke had been doing ok but we rushed Dalian back.

York was doing more than okay, I always blamed Big Ron for not giving Yorke his chance, he fully deserved it yet he insisted with Dalian and we threw it away. We played some cracking football though. I'm knackered just rewatching the highlights of the draw at Old Trafford.
In fairness - it must be hard to leave out your son (copyright Ms Brady)

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 01:48:42 AM »
We took 10 points out of 12 in Dalian's first 4 games back. We then lost the last 3 of the season. Main reason wasn't Dalian but Saunders. After the 6 goals in his first 4 he only scored another 7 in the last 31 games.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 07:49:09 AM »
I remember leaving the Holte after the 0-0 draw at home to Coventry where we battered them for 90 mins but just couldn't score. On the way out of the ground it was announced Manure were losing 1-0 to Sheff Wed. Remember being gutted when we got back to the car and heard the scores :'(. That was the day we lost the league in my opinion. 

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 10:28:17 AM »
In my mind is the revenge the following season of winnng the League Cup and denying them a clean sweep of domestic trophies.

They haven’t managed it since and probably won’t now. Plus looks like at some point the most expensively assembled team in history will do it this year - their neighbours.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal