collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Remembering 92/93  (Read 13360 times)

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping

Offline nigel

Re: Remembering 92/93
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:40:57 PM »
I remember Norwich had to play us then Man U, in their following game.
They beat us, to go top, then Man U beat them to go top.
I'm convinced had the games been reversed they'd have beat Man U and lost to us and we'd have gone on to win the league.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 10:45:13 PM »
I remember Norwich had to play us then Man U, in their following game.
They beat us, to go top, then Man U beat them to go top.
I'm convinced had the games been reversed they'd have beat Man U and lost to us and we'd have gone on to win the league.

Garry Parker missed an absolute sitter in the Norwich game, which would have put us in the lead as I remember.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »
Too soon 😡

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 10:35:32 AM »
I remember going up to Blackburn in April I think and seeing us lose 3-0 - the same night as Manure won at Crystal Palace. Effectively our title race all but ended that night. An awful feeling.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »
I was working in a shop in Manchester at the time and, the day after United beat Norwich at Carrow Road, Andre Kanchelskis walked in with Mrs Kanchelskis ( in a day-glo shell suit as I remember - very fashionable with Eastern Europeans at the time) and I had to serve him. I tried to make a joke about him being yards offside for his goal at Norwich but  I don't think my West Midlands humour translated well.

When we went to Blackburn, wasn't that when the away end was being rebuilt at Ewood? I remember hundreds of Villa fans being marched out of the home end, along the touchline and being shoved in to the away end. Was that the same season?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 10:45:37 AM »
I was there when Deano had one chalked off on his debut at Elland Road (I think Hodge scored for Leeds in a 1-1 draw), but his home debut was probably the most memorable game of the season. Three games against United and they couldn't beat us in the head to heads but then that is what Ipswich say about us in '80/'81. The games at home to Coventry and away to Blackburn are the ones I remember I felt it was slipping away, particularly as United won on both those days. The Oldham game was desperately depressing.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 10:47:12 AM »
I was working in a shop in Manchester at the time and, the day after United beat Norwich at Carrow Road, Andre Kanchelskis walked in with Mrs Kanchelskis ( in a day-glo shell suit as I remember - very fashionable with Eastern Europeans at the time) and I had to serve him. I tried to make a joke about him being yards offside for his goal at Norwich but  I don't think my West Midlands humour translated well.

When we went to Blackburn, wasn't that when the away end was being rebuilt at Ewood? I remember hundreds of Villa fans being marched out of the home end, along the touchline and being shoved in to the away end. Was that the same season?

I seem to remember sitting in a stand at the side of the pitch at Ewood that season whereas on my previous visits we were always behind one of the goals.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 10:52:17 AM »

I seem to remember sitting in a stand at the side of the pitch at Ewood that season whereas on my previous visits we were always behind one of the goals.

That's where we were sitting too. Night game?

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »
I was there when Deano had one chalked off on his debut at Elland Road (I think Hodge scored for Leeds in a 1-1 draw),

I also remember that we were at the side of the pitch at Elland Road, instead of behind the goal, for Deano's debut

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 10:56:02 AM »
Liverpool home was a great day at VP, UTD at home in the league cup was a corker too. When we won at Forest away, I thought it was within touching distance. Then Big Ron tried to shoe horn Dalian back in the team when he didn't seem fully fit and we lost our mojo.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »
I was there when Deano had one chalked off on his debut at Elland Road (I think Hodge scored for Leeds in a 1-1 draw),

I also remember that we were at the side of the pitch at Elland Road, instead of behind the goal, for Deano's debut

Your right. I can't remember the name of that stand (Lowfields?) but on my previous visits we were behind the goal.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »
I watched that Blackburn game on TV screens set up on the pitch in front of the Witton Lane.
I'd forgot Sid was playing for them.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 01:28:08 PM »
We had a restricted allocation due to redevelopment at Ewood, I'm sure it was in the hundreds and we sat in the old and very cramped mainstand.
I remember being under the stand with Duran Duran's Come Undone playing over the PA and feeling utterly depressed, whenever I hear that song I'm there again.
Didn't Sid run the midfield that night for them?

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 07:06:18 PM »
Great. Just what I need at the moment, reminders of previous occasions the Villa have come up short. I look forward to the articles about our attempts to get into the Chanpions' League under MON and our cup final appearances of the 21st century.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal