collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial condition and constraints if we don’t go up.  (Read 7445 times)

Offline Big Dick Edwards

Re: Financial condition and constraints if we don’t go up.
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 08:56:16 PM »
At least young players like Green, Hepburn-Murphy and O'Hare will have to be given long runs in the team next season if we don't go up.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 09:12:18 PM »
S HQ it depends what problem they were trying to solve.
The unintended consequences ( or some believe intended) is to create an untouchable elite whilst still not protecting clubs from gross Financial Missmanagement.
There were a number of ways they could have stopped the Pompey situation and I do not think this is what they had in mind with FFP.
Just making Financial Reporting more transparent and using and monitoring Financial Covenants for example.
They have chosen a very limited and easily abused method.

As with anything clubs will always find ways around any rules. Manchester clubs getting their training grounds sponsored for huge amounts for example.

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 09:59:36 PM »
If we don't go up this season, that's a shame. But the players can honestly say they gave it a go.

In seasons to come, there will be plenty of good players who will join to promote the Club.

On wages that can be afforded. Like for instance, Cardiff.

Alun Evans. Chico Hamilton. Bruce Rioch. Ian Ross. Chris Nicholl. Andy Lochead. Geoff Vowden.

All Villa players eager to do the job.

Villa are a massive draw, regardless of wages.

We'll get there.

Hope it's this season.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 10:54:53 PM »
Wyness was interesting about this tonight. It seems we are confident of forcing through a fudge allowing bigger losses so it won't be so bad if we stop down.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 01:10:57 AM »
Although it is not relevant to the effect on our club, I am not convinced about the prevailing narrative that FFP in the EFL was designed to stop unfair competition. That is undoubtedly the case in EUFA/EPL regulations, but I seem to recall reading that from the EFL point of view, it was to stop clubs from spiraling into debt and going bust.

I know that Leicester and Bournemouth incurred heavy fines after getting promotion, but this does not detract from the case of when such investment goes wrong.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 02:29:12 AM »
S HQ it depends what problem they were trying to solve.
The unintended consequences ( or some believe intended) is to create an untouchable elite whilst still not protecting clubs from gross Financial Missmanagement.
There were a number of ways they could have stopped the Pompey situation and I do not think this is what they had in mind with FFP.
Just making Financial Reporting more transparent and using and monitoring Financial Covenants for example.
They have chosen a very limited and easily abused method.

As with anything clubs will always find ways around any rules. Manchester clubs getting their training grounds sponsored for huge amounts for example.
Not sure I agree, It would be pretty easy to standardise Finacial reporting across the whole Football industry if there was a real intent. They do this with Sports Franchises in the USA.
The only reason they get away with it is because the power is with the clubs not the Associations.
The Associations have been found to be corrupt which does not help.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 02:47:26 AM »
Wyness was interesting about this tonight. It seems we are confident of forcing through a fudge allowing bigger losses so it won't be so bad if we stop down.

ah that's what i like to see. creative accounting 8)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 03:06:11 AM »

He can say that of course but realistically?

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 03:26:56 AM »

Maybe, but it's my straw and i'm clutching it 8). The whole FFP thing seems to be about slamming the door on the likes of Man City joining the elite , 10 minutes after they're already sitting at the trough, so i'm not a fan especially as we could have been there instead of them.. As others have mentioned, no-one wants a club going out of business, but if you're well run, have the money to run at a loss and make a SERIOUS attempt to cut debt as we have then i don't see the fair play aspect. Some clubs have always been richer than others since the year dot and it was never always about how many people came through the turnstile.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 03:47:02 AM »

Maybe, but it's my straw and i'm clutching it 8). The whole FFP thing seems to be about slamming the door on the likes of Man City joining the elite , 10 minutes after they're already sitting at the trough, so i'm not a fan especially as we could have been there instead of them.. As others have mentioned, no-one wants a club going out of business, but if you're well run, have the money to run at a loss and make a SERIOUS attempt to cut debt as we have then i don't see the fair play aspect. Some clubs have always been richer than others since the year dot and it was never always about how many people came through the turnstile.
its based on a formula, not a subjective idea or aspiration.
We are either in breach of FFP or not.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2018, 06:51:26 AM »
Keep saying I am not sure it will be the apocalypse people think it will. There will be a small amount of money and loans to supplement the squad and it will easily be top 6. Get a decent target man, replace Snoddy intelligently and find a couple of centre halves. Keeper is a worry but there will be plenty of decent keepers on frees around Europe this summer.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2018, 06:58:47 AM »
Can you expand on this?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2018, 07:15:41 AM »
He said as much when he was on the WM phone in a couple of months ago.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2018, 07:36:29 AM »
Are we going to ask doug for 25 years back payment of naming rights?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 10:57:07 AM »
I intend to push Wyness about the realities of FFP next season at the Trust AGM tonight.
Be interesting to hear what response you get Chelts.

I seem to recall in the last one he said that FFP wasn't a problem this season, but would be next.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal