collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial condition and constraints if we don’t go up.  (Read 7377 times)

Offline andyaston

Re: Financial condition and constraints if we don’t go up.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 03:02:07 PM »
We havent spent any money this season really so what's the difference?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 03:08:01 PM »
We havent spent any money this season really so what's the difference?

Isn’t that point that’s being made? It’s not about what we could spend it’s about what the rules allowed us to spend.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 03:14:05 PM »
We have but not much, problem is that we couldn't spend much this season and next season we're going to be £20m down before we kick a ball. 10 first team squad players leave this summer, while some don't need replacing (i'm looking at you Gabby) a lot of them do. As it stands our only keepers will be Steer, Sarkic and any other youngsters. Our only CB will be Chester and Richards.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 03:30:10 PM »
We have but not much, problem is that we couldn't spend much this season and next season we're going to be £20m down before we kick a ball. 10 first team squad players leave this summer, while some don't need replacing (i'm looking at you Gabby) a lot of them do. As it stands our only keepers will be Steer, Sarkic and any other youngsters. Our only CB will be Chester and Richards.

It would have to be run in a completely different way and I think we would be looking at a fairly lengthy stay in the division.  The emphasis would have to be on promoting young players from the academy and the U23 side and it would have to be viewed as a long term project.   

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 04:05:57 PM »
Gabby going gets rid of around £3m doesn't it?  Plus all the medical, flights to Dubai, shisha costs?

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 04:19:46 PM »
Actually let's look at who we could offload without affecting us too much on the playing side.

Gabby - £3m wages.
Hutton - £1.5m (reluctantly)
Samba - £1m?
Onomah - £500k
Terry - £3m?  (reluctantly)
Richards - £1.8m (if only)
Jedinak - £2m

Total £12.8m

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 04:57:29 PM »
I intend to push Wyness about the realities of FFP next season at the Trust AGM tonight.

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 07:38:43 PM »
The money that will be available to the three sides relegated from the premier league this year automatically gives them a huge financial advantage over the rest of the Championship teams. (There again it hasn't done Sunderland and Hull much good this year ! 😀)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:42:52 PM by wolfman999 »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 08:35:45 PM »
The money that will be available to the three sides relegated from the premier league this year automatically gives them a huge financial advantage over the rest of the Championship teams. (There again it hasn't done Sunderland and Hull much good this year ! 😀)

It didn't do much for us either. It's not just about what you have. It's more about how you spend it, and Cardiff are doing a really fine job showing everyone how it can be done on next to no budget.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 08:45:12 PM »
I intend to push Wyness about the realities of FFP next season at the Trust AGM tonight.
Be interesting to hear what response you get Chelts.

Offline frank black

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 08:45:22 PM »
It’s also that fact you get relegated with some shite players on fat contracts that prevent the parachutes from being used to speculate.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
In fairness if FFP stops another Portsmouth I'm all for it.

What happened at that club from 2009-15 was criminal, succession of owners who couldn't care less and they were relegated from premier league with 95& wage to turnover ratio which is ridiculous and with their ongoing problems they fell through the divisions and are only just recovering now.

Shame is happening to Sunderland. They'll always be poorly run clubs but imo there is no excuse to see your wage bil massively spiral out of control especially if you don't have a huge amount of matchday income as Pompey with a 20k crowd didn't.

FFP is decent from that respect imo.

I think the bigger problem here is that because we've spent stupid amounts last 18 months and still aren't a cert to go up people think that's the only way to get promoted. It's not.

If this forces us to start scouting properly and sign and develop players in the long term that could well be better for us than just buying stop gaps and then having to replace most of them when we're promoted as we would have to do if it happens next season.

It's clear we'd have to sell a major player or two. If we say had to sell Chester to sign Grabban and Snodgrass I'll do it tbh.

It's tough but that's the way the vast majority at championship level do it. They sell and then develop more players e.g. Preston and Brentford.

Offline frank black

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 08:48:13 PM »
Nothing to stop us from doing a Wolves next season and gambling on promotion to balance the books. Time for Tony to roll the dice and show the money. (Unlikely I know)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 08:54:22 PM »
S HQ it depends what problem they were trying to solve.
The unintended consequences ( or some believe intended) is to create an untouchable elite whilst still not protecting clubs from gross Financial Missmanagement.
There were a number of ways they could have stopped the Pompey situation and I do not think this is what they had in mind with FFP.
Just making Financial Reporting more transparent and using and monitoring Financial Covenants for example.
They have chosen a very limited and easily abused method.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 08:55:15 PM »
Nothing to stop us from doing a Wolves next season and gambling on promotion to balance the books. Time for Tony to roll the dice and show the money. (Unlikely I know)
Except there is everything to stop us doing exactly this.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal