collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Victories in the Snow  (Read 3198 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Victories in the Snow
« on: March 19, 2018, 12:18:07 PM »
Posted this in the Bolton thread, struggling to think of too many matches I've ever seen us win in the bloody snow.

Someone suggested Sheffield United away in the cup when Yorke scored a chipped penalty. Any others?

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Victories in the Snow
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:30:32 PM »
Cardiff at home Boxing day 1968.
2-0. The Docs 2nd game. Brian Tiler scores on debut. 41,000. The giant had awoken.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 01:37:18 PM »
I was at that game!

The Villa lads played in crepe soles and kept their feet better than Cardiff on a  frozen pitch.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:44:11 PM »
Man City at home in the early 90's, Tony Daley with a great volley at the Holte End.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 03:28:21 PM »
2-0. The Docs 2nd game. Brian Tiler scores on debut. 41,000. The giant had awoken.

That may have been the only home game we didn't get to that season - due to the weather!

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 04:03:12 PM »
Tenuous, but Liverpool in John Gregory's first game as manager. There were semi-blizzard conditions and an orange ball was being inflated when the snow stopped and the sun came out.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
The Hawthorns in the League Cup 1984ish. It was bloody freezing, there was an orange ball and I'm sure Mark Walters and Dennis Mortimer scored in a 2-1 win.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 10:01:05 PM »
The Hawthorns in the League Cup 1984ish. It was bloody freezing, there was an orange ball and I'm sure Mark Walters and Dennis Mortimer scored in a 2-1 win.

That was the 1986 one.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 10:12:59 PM »

That may have been the only home game we didn't get to that season - due to the weather!

I was there that day - I remember it being sunny and snowy. The only game I can recall attending with my dad and my grandad and Villa winning making Christmas even better for a 6 year old.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 10:23:27 PM »

That was the 1986 one.

I was there as a fifteen year old and with the orange ball and my first live sighting of Carlton Palmer I thought he was going to use it as a basketball. He seemed the tallest player I had ever seen. Until I saw Kevin Frances come on as a sub for Derby against us. If I remember right the Villa fans chanted "what the f*ckin hell is that"?

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 08:35:46 PM »
1976 Newcastle at home we were 4th and then 5th. They brought an almighty following but we took them apart on the pitch.  Snow still evident on the witton end

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 09:56:57 PM »

That was the 1986 one.

I was there as a fifteen year old and with the orange ball and my first live sighting of Carlton Palmer I thought he was going to use it as a basketball. He seemed the tallest player I had ever seen. Until I saw Kevin Frances come on as a sub for Derby against us. If I remember right the Villa fans chanted "what the f*ckin hell is that"?
I thought Dennis Mortimer left in 1985.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »

That was the 1986 one.

Confession time. I need to fess up that I indeed threw a snowball that hit Tony Grealish on the head as he was preparing to take a corner at this game. When he looked around to see who’d thrown it the crowd around me started shouting ‘I’m Spartacus” back at him.  As a 13 year old it was brilliant but now I’m a bit ashamed.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 01:55:22 PM »

That was the 1986 one.

Thinking about it now I reckon we won 2-1 in the Milk Cup at the Hawthorns around 1983. Mortimer and Walters for us and Regis for them and Gary Owen got sent off by Clive Thomas for a touchline challenge on (I think) Paul Birch. That was my first visit to The Hawthorns. I also have recollections of a league cup tie in (I think) 1986. From memory I think we went two down to Albion at Villa Park, came back to draw 2-2 and then won the replay at their place 2-1. Feel free to correct me on any of that as I haven't looked it up and have just gone from memory.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 05:32:11 PM »

That was the 1986 one.

Thinking about it now I reckon we won 2-1 in the Milk Cup at the Hawthorns around 1983. Mortimer and Walters for us and Regis for them and Gary Owen got sent off by Clive Thomas for a touchline challenge on (I think) Paul Birch. That was my first visit to The Hawthorns. I also have recollections of a league cup tie in (I think) 1986. From memory I think we went two down to Albion at Villa Park, came back to draw 2-2 and then won the replay at their place 2-1. Feel free to correct me on any of that as I haven't looked it up and have just gone from memory.

We won 2-1 away in late November 1983 Damo. I was a student in Paris and remember struggling to get the result on a shite world service signal. I got hammered and for some reason threw a chair out of my 4th floor window. Luckily nobody was below. Strangely my best mate went to get the chair (you had to pay a fine for damaged furniture) and couldn't find it, nor any trace of it. We never resolved that one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal