collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Southampton (H) 29th March 1981  (Read 5017 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Southampton (H) 29th March 1981
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 12:56:41 PM »
For a while Geddis was in a very exclusive club as someone who had won FA Cup, League title and European Cup winners medals. Obviously he is still in that club but it isn't as exclusive as it once was. Jimmy Rimmer had a similar claim to fame with two European Cup winners medals with two English clubs.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 12:17:51 PM »
7.20...If you're the visiting manager and you want a handshake at the end you had better be quick, nobody keeps Ron Saunders waiting.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 07:53:39 PM »
He was no John Deehan let alone an Andy Gray, Brian Little, Peter Withe or Gary  Shaw but he is remembered as a massive part of our proud history.  Bobby  Robson believe  me would never have sold us a better than average  player.  The two clubs were not exactly bossom buddies.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 07:57:18 PM »
Im not sure there was that much history between the clubs when he signed wittonwarrior, but may be wrong. That season we won the league was a different matter lol, I liked John Deehan by they way lol

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »
There was no history between us, and Bobby Robson never said anything.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 08:01:11 PM »
He was no John Deehan let alone an Andy Gray, Brian Little, Peter Withe or Gary  Shaw but he is remembered as a massive part of our proud history.  Bobby  Robson believe  me would never have sold us a better than average  player.  The two clubs were not exactly bossom buddies.

Ipswich are convinced we were lucky in the title winning season and that they were the better team. The fact that we finished four points clear of them in the days of just two points for a win doesn't seem to compute with them. They may point out our twelfth placed finish the following year. But we could point out that whilst they were finishing second (again) we were winning the European cup.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2018, 08:03:55 PM »
There was no history between us, and Bobby Robson never said anything.

I'm not sure many of the people involved with Ipswich at the time do. Apart from Alan Brazil, who uses his media stage occasionally to mumble something which comes across as a bit bitter still after all these years. Although I have also heard him compliment our team from that season on occasions. I guess it depends what mood he is in.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 08:41:29 PM »
I don't know how many people remember or even know this fact but out of the six nominations for the PFA Player of the Year in 1981, three Ipswich players finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the voting. No wonder they were in a state of shock that we beat them to the title.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 10:32:06 AM »
I don't know how many people remember or even know this fact but out of the six nominations for the PFA Player of the Year in 1981, three Ipswich players finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the voting. No wonder they were in a state of shock that we beat them to the title.

My first thought was that John Wark won player of the year, then I thought I vaguely remembered it was Frans Thijssen. Didn't Gary Shaw get the young player award? If I was guessing the Ipswich 1-2-3 I would go Thijssen, Wark and take a punt on Terry Butcher as the third.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »

Ipswich are convinced we were lucky in the title winning season and that they were the better team. The fact that we finished four points clear of them in the days of just two points for a win doesn't seem to compute with them. They may point out our twelfth placed finish the following year. But we could point out that whilst they were finishing second (again) we were winning the European cup.

ok - they beat us home and away in the league and beat us in the FA Cup that season - but it's a rags way of thinking that the season is all about 2 (or in this case 3) games.  We won five more games in the league than them and as is so often pointed out - this was the last season of just 2 points for a win.  The season was over 42 games.  OK the way we won it may have been a little strange, but we did win it - fair and square.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 01:52:18 PM »

My first thought was that John Wark won player of the year, then I thought I vaguely remembered it was Frans Thijssen. Didn't Gary Shaw get the young player award? If I was guessing the Ipswich 1-2-3 I would go Thijssen, Wark and take a punt on Terry Butcher as the third.

Yes, John Wark won it, with Paul Mariner and Frans Thijssen making up the Top Three.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 03:09:42 PM »

Yes, John Wark won it, with Paul Mariner and Frans Thijssen making up the Top Three.

I have a feeling Thijssen might have won the football writers award.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2018, 08:51:03 AM »

ok - they beat us home and away in the league and beat us in the FA Cup that season - but it's a rags way of thinking that the season is all about 2 (or in this case 3) games.  We won five more games in the league than them and as is so often pointed out - this was the last season of just 2 points for a win.  The season was over 42 games.  OK the way we won it may have been a little strange, but we did win it - fair and square.

We were bloody robbed in the game at Villa Park and there was a blatant handball in the build up to the goal in the FA Cup game.

Offline ColinMac

• GM : 12.05.2021
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »
92-93 we beat Man U at home in the league and beat them in the league cup, drew with them away and McGrath won PFA player of the year, but ultimately it meant nothing as Man U won the league as Villa challenge ran out of steam, we haven't spent a lifetime since moaning that we were robbed or that the better team didn't win the league.

Ps, 80-81 was the last season of 2 points for a win, 3 points were introduced the following season, under a 3 points system, our lead over Ipswich would have been even more emphatic.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 06:39:34 PM »
After beating us in the third round of the FA Cup they played Shrewsbury, Charlton, Forest and Man City in that order. Considering we beat Forest and City at home and drew with them both away that season and that Shrewsbury and Charlton were lower division teams, the chances are we would have had a decent cup run if they hadn't beaten us at the first hurdle. They probably did us a favour, especially as they had to replay their Shrewsbury and Forest ties.

And no, I hadn't forgotten we lost to Cambridge in the league cup.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal