collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Queens Park Rangers Pre-Match Thread [POSTPONED]  (Read 39072 times)

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
Re: Aston Villa vs Queens Park Rangers Pre-Match Thread [POSTPONED]
« Reply #345 on: March 03, 2018, 11:06:16 PM »
Why Wolves then ? I notice most games were postponed due to frozen pitches as opposed to weather conditions

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #346 on: March 03, 2018, 11:11:20 PM »
I don't buy it that it's so much worse in Brum than other parts of the country where games have been played.

As a few examples, Burnley played while Rochdale (16 miles away) got postponed, Spurs played while Barnet (13 miles away) was called off, Southampton played when just down the road in the New Forest hundreds of people were stranded in their cars Thursday night.

If there's a will there's a way. Maybe the club felt it suited us for the game to be delayed given our injury list but it feels wrong to me.

I would say that on the comparatively quiet Snow Hill line at least half the trains were cancelled and most of the rest delayed. Every road I saw, including the city centre, was affected and every pavement slippy at best and downright dangerous in places. That's in comparatively quiet areas so I dread to think what conditions would have been like if thirty thousand people had been using them. Add the extra strain on public and emergency services and you get the only sensible decision.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #347 on: March 03, 2018, 11:29:48 PM »
In the end the game I am sure could have gone ahead. We'd have had 22k in the ground or less because supporters from both sides would have had trouble getting to the game, the kiosks would be shorter staffed, less police and other such services etc etc. But a decision was made, I assume in conjunction with QPR, transport services, the emergency services, police especially that if the game could be postponed then it would be a good idea. I am guessing that's ultimately how it went down and the club while acknowledging supporter disappointment felt it was the best of all options. I don't see an issue with that approach as I am convinced we didn't make it independently.

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
« Reply #348 on: March 03, 2018, 11:51:05 PM »
Given that only the night before the game, conditions on the expressway were absolutely dreadful, part of the decision must have considered the likelihood of more snow today.  The forecasts were still saying more snow was likely, so I can only feel they took the sensible decision.

Can you imagine the outrage if the game had gone ahead only for people to put their lives in danger trying to get home after the game?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #349 on: March 04, 2018, 08:56:47 AM »
At least it is not like the 'good old days' when you would arrive at the ground to find a hand written note on the gate telling you that the game is off!

Back in 1989, the reverse of this fixture was called off as we were on the M1 on our way down. Thankfully, the time old tradition of hanging a scarf out the window meant some kind soul overtook us near Newport Pagnall holding up a hand scribbled note saying "game off".

We were on our way to that one as well.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2018, 10:05:47 AM »
I spoke to a friend, Rangers supporter, and he was pleased that announcement was made early. Him and his friends were dreading driving up and would have been gutted if it had been called off at say midday.

Offline Macho Man Randy Savage

« Reply #351 on: March 06, 2018, 12:34:46 PM »
Does anyone know what the process is for getting a refund for this game? It doesn't mention on the website.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal