collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fond Memories of Games We Have Lost  (Read 13106 times)

Online Chris Harte

Re: Fond Memories of Games We Have Lost
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 10:41:54 PM »

Not for the scoreline but a cracking atmosphere and plenty happening on the pitch.
No offence, but I do find that an odd choice. I remember it being pure evil.

Arsenal away, 1981.

List ends.
I wish I'd been there.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 12:20:59 AM »
I wasn't there either, I was a few weeks short of my first birthday, so it was a bit of a cheat me including it. Still, I reckon I can still have fond memories of something I have watched lots of times since!

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 12:44:02 AM »
Liverpool in the FA Cup in 1988. They were one of the best teams in Europe and still hadn't lost, and we were top of the 2nd division. My only experience of the grouns choc full with 48,000.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 01:01:38 AM »
Liverpool in the FA Cup in 1988. They were one of the best teams in Europe and still hadn't lost, and we were top of the 2nd division. My only experience of the grouns choc full with 48,000.

I was at that game. It was live on telly and played on a Sunday. It was also Superbowl Sunday. I remember it well because the following day I started my first ever job.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 07:04:58 AM »
We lost 1-2 to Leeds at home in our first game back in Division One in 1975. I'd never seen us in the top league before, my formative years being spent witnessing our descent and return from Division 3. I can still remember my disbelief at seeing Villa amongst the Div One fixtures.Leeds were a good side then but we held our own heralding a great few years. Think one of theirs was a penalty. Looking back it was great to see Charlie Aitken in the team having stuck with us through the tough times.

That was my first game in the top division as well. We did hold our own in this game and it felt great seeing Villa playing in the first division. 

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »
Losing 3-1 at Maine Road a week after we beat Manure in the League Cup Final.  We didn't care and they all applauded us as we were entering the away end and then again when we sang 'we only hate Man United'.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2018, 03:40:07 PM »
Losing 3-1 at Maine Road a week after we beat Manure in the League Cup Final.  We didn't care and they all applauded us as we were entering the away end and then again when we sang 'we only hate Man United'.

I remember the City fans at Villa Park in 1993 with their 'good luck Villa from the City of Manchester' banner. And nobody will ever convince me that Keith Curle didn't deliberately 'hand' us that penalty. I also remember a bit of a love in with the Arsenal fans at Highbury around the same time. We were vying for the title with United and they had two cup finals coming up against Wednesday. They started singing anti United songs and we responded by teaching them a couple of songs about Trevor Francis, much to their and our amusement.

Although I have used a bit of artistic licence telling those stories on this thread as we won both games.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:42:38 PM by Damo70 »

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2018, 05:11:53 PM »

I remember the City fans at Villa Park in 1993 with their 'good luck Villa from the City of Manchester' banner. And nobody will ever convince me that Keith Curle didn't deliberately 'hand' us that penalty.

Apparently, Curle told Shaun Teale at the PFA bash the week before we played Man City that we would get a penalty in the game .

Alex Alex Cropley from this site told me about it before the game started but I didn't believe him. When Curle inexplicably handled the ball in the box (under absolutely no pressure) we stared at each other in disbelief

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »
European game against Celta Vigo played at the Hawthorns was a good laugh. Referee didn’t seem to know any of the rules and even blew up for full time with 85 minutes played.

Yes mental game even just playing it there as the Trinity was getting rebuilt.

I believe the ref was called Dieter Schocher.

He gave two penalties and sent off three (two for us and one for them) and blew up early before some of the players actually had to point to the stadium clock which showed 85 minutes.

I think Channel 5 showed the game live so there may be highlights of it somewhere, maybe on Villaboy's youtube channel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/863863.stm

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2018, 02:31:02 PM »
We lost 1-2 to Leeds at home in our first game back in Division One in 1975. I'd never seen us in the top league before, my formative years being spent witnessing our descent and return from Division 3. I can still remember my disbelief at seeing Villa amongst the Div One fixtures.Leeds were a good side then but we held our own heralding a great few years. Think one of theirs was a penalty. Looking back it was great to see Charlie Aitken in the team having stuck with us through the tough times.

That was my first game in the top division as well. We did hold our own in this game and it felt great seeing Villa playing in the first division. 

Same here. I also think it was the first game at Villa Park I'd see us lose, other than the previous week when we played Leeds in a friendly for our Centenary game.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2018, 12:41:00 PM »
Of course Highbury was quite special and slightly surreal!

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2018, 12:42:49 AM »
losing 4-2 to Liverpool in 1998 to end our unbeaten run. Hell of a game even if Robbie fucking Fowler got a hat-trick.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2018, 11:42:08 AM »
losing 4-2 to Liverpool in 1998 to end our unbeaten run. Hell of a game even if Robbie fucking Fowler got a hat-trick.

Could've easily finished 6-6 with all the chances missed.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2018, 08:36:46 PM »
Of course Highbury was quite special and slightly surreal!
Yes, I was there and we were poor on the day. My abiding memory of the match was the Clock End reaction to Bosko Jankovic of Middlesborough ending Ipswich interest in the title.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2018, 09:14:18 PM »

I was at that game. It was live on telly and played on a Sunday. It was also Superbowl Sunday. I remember it well because the following day I started my first ever job.

The club was being reborn under Graham Taylor. We couldn't match them on the pitch but it was a day and a set piece event when I thought we threw off previous miserable years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal