collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: George Cummings  (Read 1893 times)

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
George Cummings
« on: August 12, 2018, 10:39:15 PM »
I took my dad to the match yesterday. He’s 86 and been watching Villa since before WWII. He was telling me about George Cummings and said that he had been banned from football for life (sine die) before the war due to violent play and links to Glasgow organised crime, but was allowed to play again after the war.

Does anyone know nothing more about this?

Sounds like just the sort of player we need in our defence at the moment.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: George Cummings
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 11:32:14 PM »
He didn't have any links with crime (so far as we know) but he was famous for two things. First, he spent many years with Stanley Matthews in his pocket.  Second, he served the longest suspension of any Villa player. On Christmas Day 1942 he was sent off in a friendly at Leicester and banned sine die. He was allowed to play again in August of the followlng year, after having missed sixteen matches.

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 12:10:59 AM »
Cummings was also suspended/banned before WWII (1937ish?) in a drink/driving incident with Morton the goalie. Morton was promptly sold to Everton and Cummings didn't play again that season.

Bit of useless trivia, his 2 brothers played briefly for the Villa.
W. Cummings had a trial in goal in the midland midweek league (the pre-runner to the Midland intermediate league).
David Cummings played few games in the central league in the 1945-56 season.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
If you want a tough uncompromising defender with underworld links, lengthy bans and a tendency to upset the FA you want Frank Barson.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/dec/16/forgotten-story-frank-barson-aston-villa-manchester-united

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 09:03:10 PM »
He didn't have any links with crime (so far as we know) but he was famous for two things. First, he spent many years with Stanley Matthews in his pocket. Second, he served the longest suspension of any Villa player. On Christmas Day 1942 he was sent off in a friendly at Leicester and banned sine die. He was allowed to play again in August of the followlng year, after having missed sixteen matches.

My old man used to regale me with stories of how Cummings had Matthews terrified.  He reckoned that the first opportunity Cummings got, he would have Matthews hammered into the crowd and there was never any threat from him after that.  I don't know about the veracity of that but my old man loved him.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 10:13:23 PM »
He didn't have any links with crime (so far as we know) but he was famous for two things. First, he spent many years with Stanley Matthews in his pocket. Second, he served the longest suspension of any Villa player. On Christmas Day 1942 he was sent off in a friendly at Leicester and banned sine die. He was allowed to play again in August of the followlng year, after having missed sixteen matches.

My old man used to regale me with stories of how Cummings had Matthews terrified.  He reckoned that the first opportunity Cummings got, he would have Matthews hammered into the crowd and there was never any threat from him after that.  I don't know about the veracity of that but my old man loved him.

My dad tells the tale that Cummings told Matthews that " He could dance as much as he liked but he was going to put him into the crowd".  Bill Shankley picked him in his All Time XI.

Does anyone know if he worked at Fort Dunlop after his playing days?

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 08:22:12 AM »

My dad tells the tale that Cummings told Matthews that " He could dance as much as he liked but he was going to put him into the crowd".  Bill Shankley picked him in his All Time XI.

Does anyone know if he worked at Fort Dunlop after his playing days?

Yes, according to this. Also, Hardy Spicers.

https://wikivisually.com/wiki/George_Cummings_(footballer)

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 09:11:46 AM »
I might be raving but I think I saw him play for the Vila Old Stars.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 03:06:02 AM »
Think my Dad might have mentioned the Villa Old Stars

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal