collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheff Wednesday 2-4 Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 28592 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Sheff Wednesday 2-4 Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2018, 11:26:05 AM »
Great day out, but a very old and crap ground, 3 points that were not up for grabs after 70 minutes but taken back to B6 after 90+. Great fun on the tram and some good pubs during the day. The team at the end in front of us were a joy to watch, Brucey not my type of manager, but he has brought this club around and it's nice to have players that care and we care about them.

to a  tee sums  my  day  out  - they do  need  to sort their transport out though to and from the  ground - last season was even worse rammed to fk

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2018, 11:29:56 AM »
Most clubs in Yorkshire are shite. It’s a shite county.

Time we sorted this guy out Drummond.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »
A-hem!

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »
As a club they didn't behave at all 'honourably' over the disaster, and only belatedly and grudgingly put up the smallest memorial they could get away with. Sod them.

Sadly the relatively unmolested Leppings Lane end serves as an ongoing 'memorial' to the tragic events on that dreadful day. As others have said, the demolition & rebuilding of the stand has been long-since overdue.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2018, 11:34:26 AM »
Give me Hillsborough over these identikit grounds like St Mary's, Walkers Stadium and Pride Park anyday.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2018, 11:35:50 AM »
I thought that for 75 minutes we were second best; their reserve team moved the ball around really well and - as Clampy said above - if the goalmouth scramble had resulted in a SW goal we’d probably have lost.as it was, we scrapped well and got 3 points.
Their fans are somewhat arsey...

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2018, 11:37:23 AM »
Wednesday are the team with history of match-fixing.

Three players done for it in 1964

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2018, 11:38:46 AM »
I thought that for 75 minutes we were second best; their reserve team moved the ball around really well and - as Clampy said above - if the goalmouth scramble had resulted in a SW goal we’d probably have lost.as it was, we scrapped well and got 3 points.
Their fans are somewhat arsey...

They have been since Ron showed them where they stood in the great scheme of things. I well remember being gobbed on by men old enough to know better after Dalian had stuck it to them with his pair of wonder goals.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2018, 11:38:55 AM »
Wednesday are the team with history of match-fixing.

Three players done for it in 1964

Aha! No wonder they doth protest too much.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #204 on: February 25, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »
They're just a poor man's Leeds United.

At the moment they are a poor man's Sheffield United.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »
A-hem!

You, Drummond, The Mal, outside now!  You Last of the Summer Wine, James 'Erriot and Boycs lovers!

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2018, 11:45:44 AM »
Putting another side to them, we were in one of their clubs not far from the ground before the game. They were quite pleasant to be honest.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #207 on: February 25, 2018, 11:46:24 AM »
That MATCHFIXING thread is quite something. I’ve seen some headbangers on here over the years but it was three or four pages before the first ‘hang on a minute...’ post. I could just about get my head around it if they were suggesting that we’d lined some pockets but the general gist seemed to be that it’s an anti-Wednesday thing (that may go back to 1992, or even 1989). Let’s not stay in this division too long.

A further note: I thought I had the worst username in all of football message boards. The voice of reason there is called Vulva. Vulva!

I only saw the goals but what decisions were Sheff Weds supposed to have got yesterday? Ours was a penalty and in any case there were 10 seconds left so ref would've just blown if they'd cleared it. Our first goal might have been offside but tbh non TV games down here don't have replays so have no idea how anyone could be certain watching it at real speed.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #208 on: February 25, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
Great day out, but a very old and crap ground, 3 points that were not up for grabs after 70 minutes but taken back to B6 after 90+. Great fun on the tram and some good pubs during the day. The team at the end in front of us were a joy to watch, Brucey not my type of manager, but he has brought this club around and it's nice to have players that care and we care about them.

Can’t agree about the “crap ground” bit. Hillsborough is a fantastic stadium and always has been.
It's dated run down and not fit for purpose.  That end should have been bulldozed down in 89

I agree with this. Been past the ground a few times and approaching from Leppings lane it has a creepy feeling about it given its past and also situated in a valley. Standing at the memorial board for the victims was a very sobering 30 seconds.

I'd be uncomfortable on an away end knowing this is where so many people lost their lives, I too don't understand why it hasn't been rebuilt.

Bramall Lane imo is a much better ground and overall trip. Can walk to it from the centre in 10 minutes.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
Putting another side to them, we were in one of their clubs not far from the ground before the game. They were quite pleasant to be honest.

We'll have none of this 'quite pleasant' lark, Clampy. I think you'll find they're all arrogant, deluded arseholes. FACT!  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal