collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread 2018  (Read 119616 times)

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
Re: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread 2018
« Reply #1155 on: September 26, 2018, 02:19:32 PM »
Contract signed, two year deal with Hants

Amidst the highs of what looks like a Championship winning promotion campaign, this would be a blow.  Someone mentioned to me a few weeks ago that he was leaving and if I recall correctly, it was down to the Bears only offering him a year whereas other counties were offering two.  I'm guessing there is a policy in place at Edgbaston of only offering 1 year contracts to players over 30, but he will be a big miss as there doesn't really seem an obvious replacement lined up as of yet.

I suspect Brookes is considered his replacement (as a bowling all-rounder) and then we've got the lads from Gloucester coming in to compete for Wrights spot.  It's a shame to not have a leftie though because they can be very useful.

I'm far more concerned about how we going to replace Trott though.

Not sure any of those will be a like-for-like replacement for Barker though Paul.  As for Trotty, I think Hain will just move up to four and we'll look at someone at five.   

I think with the emergence of Rhodes and Sibley, who after a nervous start have really blossomed, will negate the post Trott era a little. We haven't had a good opening pair for a while now, but these 2 might just do it for us.

Farewell Jonathon, Keith and Chris. You have been great for us.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1156 on: September 26, 2018, 02:22:47 PM »
 Well done...You Bears!
A bit disappointed with the Keith Barker decision. Him and Wright were handy batsmen in the lower order. Obviously Giles is keen on youth hence the signing of the new bowlers.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1157 on: September 26, 2018, 02:27:39 PM »
Contract signed, two year deal with Hants

Amidst the highs of what looks like a Championship winning promotion campaign, this would be a blow.  Someone mentioned to me a few weeks ago that he was leaving and if I recall correctly, it was down to the Bears only offering him a year whereas other counties were offering two.  I'm guessing there is a policy in place at Edgbaston of only offering 1 year contracts to players over 30, but he will be a big miss as there doesn't really seem an obvious replacement lined up as of yet.

I suspect Brookes is considered his replacement (as a bowling all-rounder) and then we've got the lads from Gloucester coming in to compete for Wrights spot.  It's a shame to not have a leftie though because they can be very useful.

I'm far more concerned about how we going to replace Trott though.

Not sure any of those will be a like-for-like replacement for Barker though Paul.  As for Trotty, I think Hain will just move up to four and we'll look at someone at five.   

I agree. I just think they decided that with his age they didn't want to give him 2 years and have him 'in the way' of Brookes. The potential of us having Woakes and Stone with England for most of the season is the bit that would've made me keep him though. That's probably the biggest frustration in Cricket right now, counties that do well and bring players through often don't get the benefit of it. Look at Yorkshire and Lancashire, they've both been around the bottom of the division all summer but would that be the case if Root, Bairstow, Jimmy, Buttler, etc were available for them?

I can see us having to go without Rhodes at times as well next year for the same reason and, either way,2-3 players out of the first choice 11 for most of the summer is hard to handle. In the past it worked ok but with the international calendar being stretched to cover most of the summer and us hosting 2 series most years it's unsustainable now.

Offline Colhint

« Reply #1158 on: September 26, 2018, 02:49:20 PM »
I think the big worry about Barker leaving is Jeets. Jeets has been bowling the opposite end to Barker for a decade and taken about 6 billion wickets. I don't think we will have a left hander in the team.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #1159 on: September 26, 2018, 04:06:02 PM »
Thanks to PGW of this thread for his updates throughout the season and the use of his guest passes so I could be at Edgbaston today with a mate to enjoy the championship win and pay tribute to Trott, Barker and Wright.

I’m sad to see Barker leave but as I understand it the club offered a deal and at his age, he wanted a longer deal.

I was lucky enough to be at a Q&A with Ashley Giles in July and he commented that the squad was too big, he said they had 27 full time professionals and needed trimming. He wanted to bring in younger players who could play across all three formats. I think the squad will number something like 20 players at the start of next season.

You Bears!

Offline Colhint

« Reply #1160 on: September 26, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »
Agree with you VFL   many thanks to PGW for his updates.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #1161 on: September 26, 2018, 04:22:18 PM »
Agree totally about the updates from PGW...…..Top man

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1162 on: September 26, 2018, 04:55:02 PM »
Agreed 👍🏿

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1163 on: September 26, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »
Yes, thanks PGW. Much appreciated updates.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1164 on: September 26, 2018, 07:13:47 PM »
Encouraging that Craig Miles took 8 wickets for Gloucestershire against Derbyshire in the Championship. He could be really useful now he's signed for the Bears for next year....

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #1165 on: September 27, 2018, 02:20:27 AM »
Well done Warwick

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #1166 on: September 27, 2018, 08:51:34 AM »
Cric Info has a lovely write up and interview with Trotty by the way - brought a tear to my eye !

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #1169 on: September 27, 2018, 10:22:18 AM »
This? Great article, assume it is the one you mean.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8204/report/1127737/day/3/birmingham-bears-vs-kent-specsavers-county-championship-division-two-2018

Yes that's the one I wish I could have been there yesterday as I was funnily enough when he made his debut.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal