collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

The Running thread by Richard E
[Today at 01:42:41 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Olneythelonely
[Today at 01:40:20 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:37:23 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 01:28:47 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 01:25:44 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by usav
[Today at 01:25:15 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:22:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Booing.  (Read 12713 times)

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
Re: Booing.
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2018, 03:11:32 PM »
Better to boo than fuck off on 75 minutes en masse.

I'm not sure I agree with that.
Appreciate others will disagree, but for me the majority role of a football supporter is exactly that, supporting & encouraging.
It'll sound patronising, but I seem to remember the Baggies coming up one year and maybe going straight back down, but being impressed by the persistent positive support they seemed to get from their fans. (of course my experience of their away support may not have represented their home support).

Clearly there is a difference between working your socks off whilst being not good enough, and being lazy/not stepping up etc.
Of course there are times when enough is enough, these should be very few & far between. Maybe we've had too many of those of late, I share the intense frustration towards some of our expensive wastrels.

I suppose for me it's about how do we get what we want, and whilst of course these are usually tiny tiny margins, the current West Ham crisis is an excellent case where some of the crowd make it more difficult for the team.

I want my team to do well. Encouraging them on the whole is the best way to do that. I reckon it's quite rare that a crowd turning on a team helps them.
It's just *so* very very far from something I could easily do, to boo my own team. Am I alone in this?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:05:46 PM by purpletrousers »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2018, 03:29:05 PM »
Sorry I make that as a person who doesn't agree with booing very much.

In fairness to the people in the Witton Lane, at least they're consistent in their fucking off en masse.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2018, 04:54:04 PM »

I'm not sure I agree with that.
Appreciate others will disagree, but for me the majority role of a football supporter is exactly that, supporting & encouraging.
It'll sound patronising, but I seem to remember the Baggies coming up one year and maybe going straight back down, but being impressed by the persistent positive support they seemed to get from their fans. (of course my experience of their away support may not have represented their home support).

Clearly there is a difference between working your socks off whilst being not good enough, and being lazy/not stepping up etc.
Of course there are times when enough is enough, these should be very few & far between. Maybe we've had too many of those of late, I share the intense frustration towards some of our expensive wastrels.

I suppose for me it's about how do we get what we want, and whilst of course these are usually tiny tiny margins, the current West Ham crisis is an excellent case where some of the crowd make it more difficult for the team.

I want my team to do well. Encouraging them on the whole is the best way to do that. I reckon it's quite rare that a crowd turning on a team helps them.
It's just *so* very very far from something I could easily do, to boo my own team. Am I alone in this?
I completely agree with this - it can only ever be entirely counter productive to a teams performance.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »

Rule of 3 mate. If we go 3 down we aren't getting back in it and, particularly on a week night, people have school/work the next day. Pissing off a bit early seems entirely appropriate. If we were going at them then fair enough to expect people to stop. But we were creating bugger all, had an incredibly unbalanced team that were far more likely to concede again than mount a comeback and the ref certainly wasn't going to let us build up any sort of head of steam.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2018, 10:02:36 PM »

..........far more likely to concede again than mount a comeback and the ref certainly wasn't going to let us build up any sort of head of steam.

......except it was us that scored next of course!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2018, 10:05:57 PM »
If folks left last night on 75 mins then it was QPR making it 3-0 that was the next goal. I didn't see too many leaving until the 3rd went in and then it was a mass exodus.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal