collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by cdward
[Today at 03:31:31 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 03:30:50 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Burnley 4 v 1 Aston Villa 26 August 1972  (Read 2745 times)

Offline He wears a magic hat

Burnley 4 v 1 Aston Villa 26 August 1972
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:02:41 PM »

Just stumbled across this. Not a great day but you don't see too many highlights from this era.

Bit of nostalgia for the older members of the forum

&t=133s

Offline Brassneck

Re: Burnley 4 v 1 Aston Villa 26 August 1972
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 06:27:15 PM »

Just stumbled across this. Not a great day but you don't see too many highlights from this era.

&t=133s

This was the first ever game that I travelled to on a football special. That in itself was an eye opener and an experience. Great find.

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 08:22:08 PM »
I was on the Special that day, too. As we left afterwards, some urchins were stoning the train, and a piece of ballast came through the open window, and split my mates nose and forehead right open. There really was claret everywhere!.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 09:57:06 PM »
Does Cumbes actually try to save any of the goals?!

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 10:28:47 PM »
First time I ever went to Burnley was as a 16 year old in 1976 Div I - they were already relegated.

Was on the Lions trip that stopped over at Blackpool on the Friday night.  I was playing bingo all night in the hotel.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:42:40 PM »

&t=133s

This was the first ever game that I travelled to on a football special. That in itself was an eye opener and an experience. Great find.

Some decent players in that Burnley team, Dobson, Thomas, Stephenson, Phillips. 

Dave Thomas is btw now blind but what a player he was especially when he started for QPR.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 02:46:05 AM »
I was at the game and we were lucky it was only 4 .I seem to recall they thrashed us at Villa Park later in the season as well. The other thing i remember from the game was the fighting between their mob and ours in the half way line stand .I still have not seen us win at Turf Moor and i have been a few times

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
I was on the Special that day, too. As we left afterwards, some urchins were stoning the train, and a piece of ballast came through the open window, and split my mates nose and forehead right open. There really was claret everywhere!.

LOL yes - A kid in his 20s and two little brats aged about 12 on some waste ground. I heard the bangs as the train was being hit but it was further back (I must have been towards the front)

Do you remember stopping just outside Manchester alongside a train full of Man U fans that was travelling in the other direction?

I'd only ever been with my dad in the car prior to that game - It was like being unleashed into a new world.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 05:11:42 PM »
I didn't go but I remember this game, a bit of a reality check as I remember.  That was a good Burnley side that as mentioned earlier also beat us convincingly at Villa Park later in the season.

I'm sure this was the last year of just 2 up and 2 down (to and from the old first division) and although we finished third, I seem to remember we were a distance away from Burnley and QPR both of whom beat us home and away.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:54:31 AM by castlefields_villan »

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
I didn't go but I remember this game, a bit of a reality check as I remember.  That was a good Burnley side that has mentioned earlier also beat us convincingly at Villa Park later in the season.

I'm sure this was the last year of just 2 up and 2 down (to and from the old first division) and although we finished third, I seem to remember we were a distance away from Burnley and QPR both of whom beat us home and away.

Correct. Burnley in particular dismantled us.

I think the momentum from the 3rd division carried us that season, but we were nowhere near the equal of QPR and Burnley.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 05:50:25 PM »
I was at that game but only have hazy recollections- well you remember the wins more.
Burnley had quality players and as has been said already it was a reality check for us.
The big thing about Burnley then was Bob Lord the chairman. Imagine Doug Ellis at his most dictatorial interferring, double it and you had `Mr Burnley`Bob Lord.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »
I didn't go but I remember this game, a bit of a reality check as I remember.  That was a good Burnley side that as mentioned earlier also beat us convincingly at Villa Park later in the season.

Correct. Burnley in particular dismantled us.

I think the momentum from the 3rd division carried us that season, but we were nowhere near the equal of QPR and Burnley.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 12:20:02 PM »
Jim Cumbes reckoned that what did for us that year was the in-fighting on the board during the summer of 1972. "We went from a situation where everyone was pulling together, to one where the board was divided and there was a lot of politics." 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:14:50 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 11:13:57 PM »
I remember that we played quite well in this game but were beaten by some superb finishing. John Gidman made his debut in the next game!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal