collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Poll

Tony or Ron?

Stick
Twist

Author Topic: Hypothetical stick or twist  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
Re: Hypothetical stick or twist
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 07:12:51 AM »
I wouldn't risk the European Cup (and Super Cup). Definite stick.

My thoughts. We will probably never get close again...

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 07:56:25 AM »
Stick. We won the European Cup with Tony Barton, the greatest day in our history. Wouldn't change that for anything.

Offline nigel

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 08:07:10 AM »
I have a theory about this. I don't think Saunders was all that bothered about the European Cup. He wanted to win it, but as far as he was concerned he'd achieved his biggest ambition in 1981 and anything else was a bonus. Whether it was this, or falling out with the Bendalls, he lost a bit of his drive and our results, plus his record after, bore this out.

I ve just finished reading the book 'The Odd Man Out' and it did appear he was falling out with the Bednalls more and more over contract issues.
If I read correctly,  too, a couple of senior players were non to happy and wanted out, Tony Morley being one, but stayed when Ron left.

I'm afraid I don't think we'd have won it had Ron stayed.
I do, however, think we'd have had more years challenging at the top of the league, though.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »
I wouldn't risk the European Cup (and Super Cup). Definite stick.

My thoughts. We will probably never get close again...

We won't, ever. Unless the Oil money heads south to us from Manchester.

Definite stick.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 12:38:06 PM »
I have a theory about this. I don't think Saunders was all that bothered about the European Cup. He wanted to win it, but as far as he was concerned he'd achieved his biggest ambition in 1981 and anything else was a bonus. Whether it was this, or falling out with the Bendalls, he lost a bit of his drive and our results, plus his record after, bore this out.

I ve just finished reading the book 'The Odd Man Out' and it did appear he was falling out with the Bednalls more and more over contract issues.
If I read correctly,  too, a couple of senior players were non to happy and wanted out, Tony Morley being one, but stayed when Ron left.

I'm afraid I don't think we'd have won it had Ron stayed.
I do, however, think we'd have had more years challenging at the top of the league, though.

The contract story was in the background, but the catalyst was, apparently, the board (ie Don Bendall) increasingly interfering with his work. "I am paid to manage Villa, not be a puppet or an office boy." I suspect only three men ever knew the real reason - one's dead, one has always resisted attempts to tell the full story so I doubt he will now and the third barely knew how to tie his shoelaces even back then.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »

I'm with Dave on this one, our form shortly before Ron left was worrying and Tony Barton had a bit more than the new manager bounce.

I not only wonder whether we'd have that wonderful night in Rotterdam had Ron not gone, but also whether our perilous league position have got worse.  To finish 11th (which is where I think we finished) the year after being league champions was very respectable alongside winning the European Cup.

Very hard to think what would've happened beyond that though.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »
Manchester City in 1938, was the answer to the question a lot were asking before Ron left. Loved Ron but i'd definitely stick with Tony Barton.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 07:49:55 PM »
For all that he had done before at the club, the season he left, under Saunders we had beaten part timers in the first round and nearly gone out in the second round under him and were sixteenth in the table when he left. Tony Barton steadied the ship and lifted us to safety before taking us through the quarter finals, semis and victory in the final. Sadly at that time we ideally needed someone in charge of the club who's surname was neither Bendall or Ellis.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:53:48 PM by Damo70 »

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 08:16:12 PM »
Were there other options considered before they gave the job to Tony, or at least other candidates mentioned in the press? It's some gig when you think about it, it's not often (especially more back then) that the job at the Champions comes up, with them in the 1/4 finals of the big cup.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 08:32:54 PM »
Were there other options considered before they gave the job to Tony, or at least other candidates mentioned in the press? It's some gig when you think about it, it's not often (especially more back then) that the job at the Champions comes up, with them in the 1/4 finals of the big cup.

Tony got the acting manager's job because he was there and Ron Bendall had no interest in football so he didn't have a clue what to do once Saunders had gone. He made a good start so giving him the job permanently was the obvious thing to do.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 10:55:33 PM »

Tony got the acting manager's job because he was there and Ron Bendall had no interest in football so he didn't have a clue what to do once Saunders had gone. He made a good start so giving him the job permanently was the obvious thing to do.

Another superb point Dave
UTV

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2018, 11:05:14 PM »
As I remember it (I was a kid so this may not be right) Barton's appointment was quite a surprise. Roy Maclaren was much more prominent under Saunders - how come he wasn't offered the job?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2018, 11:17:55 PM »
As I remember it (I was a kid so this may not be right) Barton's appointment was quite a surprise. Roy Maclaren was much more prominent under Saunders - how come he wasn't offered the job?

McLaren was the trainer, Barton the manager's assistant. It's been hinted that McLaren had a bit of a higher profile because Saunders was happy to let him have it as he was strictly a backroom man whereas he didn't like the thought of Barton taking any glory. Saunders always had to be the undisputed number one.     

Offline Damo70

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2018, 12:04:32 PM »
I was a Villa mad eleven year old when Barton was appointed. At that time I knew who and what MacLaren was, but had never previously heard or seen of Tony Barton to my knowledge.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal