Heroes & Villains > Match Threads & Player Ratings

Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa: Pre-Match Thread

(1/30) > >>

Ads:
Preston was one of the poorest performances of the season. Technically we were diabolical, attacking , we were awful and Chester apart, defensively we were dismal. Possession was recycled time and again and we had no means of attacking or breaking down a stubborn and hard working outfit.

Wednesday then should be the ideal opposition, as they're utter mince and ill equipped for the relegation battle they find themselves in.

Decimated by injuries, it should be a game to bounce back in. But then there is the small problem of Adomah, Grealish, Green and likely Snodgrass being out.

We cannot play three defesnive midfielders and expect to achieve anything; BB, Jedinak and Onomah were desperate against Preston and so was Hourihane. Snodgrass having a Tommy Johnson at half time explains why he was ineffectual.

The 4141 should be ultra attacking, but you've got to blend it right.

I would like to see us go 442, as we do not have the midfield to play with Hogan up top, so a meat and veg 442 is the way I would go.

Johnstone

Hutton
Terry
Chester
Axel

Grabban and Davis up top.

So who do we play in midfield? Elmo must play, as he has the curious ability to not pass the ball 5 yards, yet sling in an excellent cross. We need one player capable of sitting and I'd go with BB, as he at least has some legs and can pass.

Lansbury ought to have an opportunity, as he cannot be anymore anonymous than Hourihane has been for a long time now. So who fills in on the right? Its a big question and I think we've got to hope that Snoddy recovers in time, as then we'd have some width and a means of attacking.

Grealish being fit would change matters massively, but it looks like he is out.

Last night has to serve as a line in the sand for certain players and their combination within the team.

Risso:
I hope Snodgrass is OK, as apparently he was just ill, so have 4 days to get over whatever it is.

Assuming he is, and grealish and Albert are out, I'd go:

Johnstone

Tuanzebe Chester Terry Hutton
Snodgrass Lansbury Jedinak O'Hare
Davis Grabban

Legion:
0-2

Legion:
Poll added.

Brassneck:
I think that we have to accept that without key players, it's not going to be pretty.

I would also be surprised if Bruce went 442 away from home but I guess we can live in hope.

Going for draws away from home and conceding possession has repeatedly backfired on us. I'm dreading the play offs if we have to settle for them because of this.

I suspect it will be very similar to the last two teams we put out. The back 4 will likely remain the same. For me, this means Elmo & Snoddy are the wide men. Hogan will probably start (although I thought Grabban looked far more lively last night) Jedi will probably play in his usual role leaving 3 from Lansbury, BB and Hourihane. I currently have no preference on which 2 to pick as they have all been underwhelming recently.

Without Grealish, the 4141 is not effective and I'm not sure we'd win a midfield battle with 2 strikers not getting involved a bit further back when needed (as Grealish does). Not knowing enough about Grabban, I wonder whether he could play a free "Grealish" type of role behind Hogan as Kodjia has done in the past?

We are all looking for 3 points here - I suspect Bruce would take a point. For me, I think we needed 9 wins from 15. Two games later, we now need 9 from 13 and this away game is one of the more winnable aways. In the absence of Grealish, we need Grabban to start IMO. Relying on Hogan on his own is futile as he won't be getting the service.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version