collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa: Pre-Match Thread  (Read 18746 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa: Pre-Match Thread
« on: February 21, 2018, 09:14:00 AM »
Preston was one of the poorest performances of the season. Technically we were diabolical, attacking , we were awful and Chester apart, defensively we were dismal. Possession was recycled time and again and we had no means of attacking or breaking down a stubborn and hard working outfit.

Wednesday then should be the ideal opposition, as they're utter mince and ill equipped for the relegation battle they find themselves in.

Decimated by injuries, it should be a game to bounce back in. But then there is the small problem of Adomah, Grealish, Green and likely Snodgrass being out.

We cannot play three defesnive midfielders and expect to achieve anything; BB, Jedinak and Onomah were desperate against Preston and so was Hourihane. Snodgrass having a Tommy Johnson at half time explains why he was ineffectual.

The 4141 should be ultra attacking, but you've got to blend it right.

I would like to see us go 442, as we do not have the midfield to play with Hogan up top, so a meat and veg 442 is the way I would go.

Johnstone

Hutton
Terry
Chester
Axel

Grabban and Davis up top.

So who do we play in midfield? Elmo must play, as he has the curious ability to not pass the ball 5 yards, yet sling in an excellent cross. We need one player capable of sitting and I'd go with BB, as he at least has some legs and can pass.

Lansbury ought to have an opportunity, as he cannot be anymore anonymous than Hourihane has been for a long time now. So who fills in on the right? Its a big question and I think we've got to hope that Snoddy recovers in time, as then we'd have some width and a means of attacking.

Grealish being fit would change matters massively, but it looks like he is out.

Last night has to serve as a line in the sand for certain players and their combination within the team.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:20:30 AM by Ads »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa: Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 09:51:02 AM »
I hope Snodgrass is OK, as apparently he was just ill, so have 4 days to get over whatever it is.

Assuming he is, and grealish and Albert are out, I'd go:

Johnstone

Tuanzebe Chester Terry Hutton
Snodgrass Lansbury Jedinak O'Hare
Davis Grabban

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »
0-2

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 09:56:08 AM »
Poll added.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 09:57:07 AM »
I think that we have to accept that without key players, it's not going to be pretty.

I would also be surprised if Bruce went 442 away from home but I guess we can live in hope.

Going for draws away from home and conceding possession has repeatedly backfired on us. I'm dreading the play offs if we have to settle for them because of this.

I suspect it will be very similar to the last two teams we put out. The back 4 will likely remain the same. For me, this means Elmo & Snoddy are the wide men. Hogan will probably start (although I thought Grabban looked far more lively last night) Jedi will probably play in his usual role leaving 3 from Lansbury, BB and Hourihane. I currently have no preference on which 2 to pick as they have all been underwhelming recently.

Without Grealish, the 4141 is not effective and I'm not sure we'd win a midfield battle with 2 strikers not getting involved a bit further back when needed (as Grealish does). Not knowing enough about Grabban, I wonder whether he could play a free "Grealish" type of role behind Hogan as Kodjia has done in the past?

We are all looking for 3 points here - I suspect Bruce would take a point. For me, I think we needed 9 wins from 15. Two games later, we now need 9 from 13 and this away game is one of the more winnable aways. In the absence of Grealish, we need Grabban to start IMO. Relying on Hogan on his own is futile as he won't be getting the service.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:08:53 AM »
Gone for another draw.

Reasoning: I went for a draw v Fulham - we lost. I went for a narrow 2-1 win v Preston - we drew. I'd be inclined to say we'll win this one, but seems I've been overly optimistic across the board (hah) so put your money on a point folks.

Offline Ads

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 10:10:11 AM »
Grabban seemed to have a bit of unpredictability about him. He beat a man with a bit of skill, seemed quick and his dipping volley wasn't too far off, while his crossing was good.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 10:17:40 AM »
Draw. More lost ground on 2nd.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 10:32:20 AM »
Was it Grabban who put that cracking ball to davis at the end who should have at least hit the target?

that was quality

Offline Ads

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 10:42:11 AM »
Draw. More lost ground on 2nd.

That's what it will be if we approach the game showing the level of attacking ineptitude we have last night and with three defensive midfielders.

If he wants to persist with a 4141 and Snoddy is ill, then Grabban, Lansbury, Hourihane and Elmo with BB in behind would be better. At least there are three players who can play a ball forwards out of that lot.

Wednesday don't score a lot, they're negative and generally a bit shite. There is absolutely noway we can tolerate anything but a win.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 10:56:15 AM »
Sheff Weds have terrible injury problems, even worse than us.

Bannan, Kieran Lee, Steven Fletcher and Gary Hooper all injured, all regular starters for them. Think Jordan Rhodes was ill last night.

That said they did win at VP although a wonder goal after 40 seconds is a bit of a fluke.

It's a difficult one to call for me given our issues.

Sheff Weds haven't conceded many and have drawn a lot since their new manager came in. Their worst game by far under him was losing 3-1 to SHA with some comical defending.

0-0 but I hope for better as we need to get back to winning games very quickly.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 10:59:35 AM »
This was their team from last night:

Sheff Wed

28Wildsmith

46Venāncio
    12Loovens
    39Thorniley
    2Hunt

3Jones
    32Pelupessy
    6Fox
    44Stobbs

33Wallace
    21Boyd

On reflection we should be beating that regardless of our issues. Four players in that team I've never heard of.

Ross Wallace and George Boyd as their front two gives you an indication of their injury issues aswell.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 11:01:27 AM »
Whatever happened to Forestieri? He caused us no end of grief last season.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »
3 points nothing less. but do not play bjarnson jedi and onomah in the same team.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 11:02:09 AM »
If we were gaining victories based on what percentage of the opposition players I've heard of, we would finish the season with forty-six wins, and probably get about thirty wins on our way to romping next year's Premier League title.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal