collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Preston: Pre-match Thread  (Read 16845 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Aston Villa v Preston: Pre-match Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2018, 10:31:40 AM »
Hair care tips?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2018, 10:33:41 AM »
Played well at Leeds in his cameo as an attacking player. Played poorly as the midfield anchor against Peterborough.

Perhaps Grabben may come in to play out wide and Angela join Thor in the middle.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2018, 10:39:31 AM »
Played well at Leeds in his cameo as an attacking player. Played poorly as the midfield anchor against Peterborough.

Perhaps Grabben may come in to play out wide and Angela join Thor in the middle.

Bjarnason has done OK as a holding midfielder, as what we lose from Jedinak's height and physical presence we get back in energy and a bit more pace.  Lansbury, when he has done OK needs to play further forward, as he has got a decent range of passing and is capable of scoring a goal.  It sounds like we might be without Albert for a while, so it's imperative we start putting players in positions that suit them.  Snodgrass looked lost on the left, Bjarnason is abysmal in any sort of advanced midfield position and Onomah shouldn't be in the squad at all, never mind playing in any sort of wide position.  If Bruce keeps up with these sorts of selections I think things are going to go south pretty quickly.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »
I dont see why we are helping Spurs with Odamah when he isnt actually playing that well , Id stick to Villa players thats all.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2018, 11:13:06 AM »

Bjarnason has done OK as a holding midfielder, as what we lose from Jedinak's height and physical presence we get back in energy and a bit more pace.  Lansbury, when he has done OK needs to play further forward, as he has got a decent range of passing and is capable of scoring a goal.  It sounds like we might be without Albert for a while, so it's imperative we start putting players in positions that suit them.  Snodgrass looked lost on the left, Bjarnason is abysmal in any sort of advanced midfield position and Onomah shouldn't be in the squad at all, never mind playing in any sort of wide position.  If Bruce keeps up with these sorts of selections I think things are going to go south pretty quickly.

100%.

Offline Ads

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2018, 11:17:36 AM »

It would be easier to manage if it was Adomah and another or Grealish and another, but it creates a problem.

442 is one option, if we were to play 4141 then Hourihane and Lansbury central with Thor in behind to account for the space Angela leaves would work. Then Snoddy right and then its a headache as to who plays wide left.

Grabben has played wide before, so it could well be about keeping that shape and playing him there. Gives us a bit of flexibility to go 442 if needs be too.

I don't follow the antipathy some have over Onomah and the nonsense about attitude and not being bothered that has developed.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »
The left side is the problem but if he uses Onamah or Barney for Jack the situation is exacerbated.
We dont know form fitness  of Ohare RHM Green Angela but we need a performance from at least one of them.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »
If both are out tomorrow i would go with the following (dont like the fact weve changed formation from the winning one)

Johnstone
      Axel, Chester, Terry, Hutton
                   Thor
Snodgrass,Lansbury, Hourihane, Onomah
                  Hogan

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »

I don't follow the antipathy some have over Onomah and the nonsense about attitude and not being bothered that has developed.

I don't think it's an attitude thing, he just very obviously isn't suited to playing in a wide position, and he hasn't had a good game in ages.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2018, 11:39:51 AM »
PNE only sold 600, surprised. Didn't they sell out last year?

Offline Ads

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »

I don't think it's an attitude thing, he just very obviously isn't suited to playing in a wide position, and he hasn't had a good game in ages.

If we're going to shoehorn a player, then Axel is an option. Knock a ball into the channel and I doubt there's a player in the league who is going to be quick enough to catch him.

I thin they will go 442 myself and so if we match them, quality ought to count, particularly if we can dominate territory.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2018, 11:58:24 AM »
I think that Axel had an excellent game on Saturday but purely for his attacking attributes, I'd start Elmo at RB if he's fit.

Snodgrass has to play on the right so the biggest dilemma for me would be who to play on the left.

I think that without Jack and Albert, Hogan is going to be feeding on scraps for 90 minutes which isn't good enough for a team playing at home. I wonder whether there is a way of starting both Hogan and Grabban?

If we stick with 441, I'd probably go with Jedi in front of the defence with two from Lansbury, Hourihane and BB in front of him.

We've somehow got to be positive tomorrow and not simply plod along as we did in many home games in the first half of the season. I'm not suggesting we go gung ho (it would be impossible to do so with the players available) but we have no real number 10 available if Grealish is out so why not line up with a system that suits the players we have available? Either 442 or even 433 might suit the players better than persisting with a number 10 who creates very little.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2018, 12:30:47 PM »
Lose or Win ?
The Darkest Hour or Three Nil Affords Offsetting Thread Fury ?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2018, 12:42:27 PM »
We need to win this to get back on track so I'm going for a 2-0 win.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2018, 12:44:00 PM »
PNE only sold 600, surprised. Didn't they sell out last year?
Like me, the thought of negotiating the M6 there and back is enough to put anyone off :(
Having said that I`m hopefully venturing down tomorrow

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal