collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Preston: Pre-match Thread  (Read 16854 times)

Online tomd2103

Re: Aston Villa v Preston: Pre-match Thread
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2018, 04:25:50 PM »
If Albert & Jack are still sidelined, I can't say I'm feeling particularly optimistic about us snaffling all 3 points this evening. With our lack of midfield creativity allied to PNE's organisation and resilience, I can envisage a game of few chances - with possibly the odd goal. A point wouldn't be the end of the world (for either side), but how we could do with hitting straight back after a disappointing weekend.

I'll go 1-1 (whilst praying for some impending good news about Grealish & Adomah), but hopefully we'll find a way of nickin' it.

UTV

Grealish obviously makes a big difference but we have won plenty of games without him before so it is just up to the others to step up if he is not there.

I think Grabban has played out wide before in his career, so he might be an option if Adomah is out.  Grealish is a big loss of course, but we should have enough options in midfield to win games like this.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2018, 04:26:52 PM »
This is the side predicted by that Gregg Evans fellow on the Birmingham Live (yikes!) site:

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2018, 04:29:30 PM »
This is the side predicted by that Gregg Evans fellow on the Birmingham Live (yikes!) site:

He's been on here so

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2018, 04:30:18 PM »
I hope he's right with that side. plenty of attacking threat there.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2018, 04:30:23 PM »

No real issues with that side to be honest.  We are a bit short of wide players in the squad though.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2018, 04:30:58 PM »
Frightening dark clouds have gathered over the city there is a bad omen obviously for someone😥

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2018, 04:34:26 PM »
15k to Sunderland?

Leeds would take more.

And sing louder.

Couldn't hear the Holte against Preston at all. Very poor.

OK, the game hasn't even started. But that's hardly an excuse.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »
Express and Star

Aston Villa v Preston - preview

Saturday’s defeat at Fulham has Villa eager to quickly bounce back by beating Preston tonight, a result which would ensure they move – for 24 hours at least – back into second place.

But to do so they must crack one of the toughest opponents in the division.

Preston have been beaten just six times in the league this season and arrive at Villa Park fresh from holding leaders Wolves to a 1-1 draw, a game in which they played the final 31 minutes a man down following John Welsh’s sending-off.

Indeed, excusing a slump where they lost four on the bounce, the form of Alex Neil’s men has been as good as any team barring the runaway leaders.

Villa supporters will recall November’s 2-0 win at Deepdale as being among their most comfortable of the season but on that occasion the hosts were missing a number of key players, particularly in defence.

They arrive in B6 on a run of just one defeat in 16 league games and Neil said: “We need to keep believing and continue the run that we are on.

“The bigger the challenge the better for us, and the sweeter it is when you get a result in those situations.”

The result at Craven Cottage was a reminder that, no matter how good Villa’s recent form, automatic promotion is a prize not easily won. With 14 games still remaining – a relative age in Championship terms – there will inevitably be further ups and downs between now and May, though it is not like anyone within the club was expecting otherwise.

“The one thing you can’t do is get carried away with it because it kicks you in the backside,” said Bruce.

“So of course you guard against it but I’m hoping the experience I’ve got in the team and the know-how we’ve got will handle all that.

“If you think you’ve cracked it in this game you come unstuck so we’ll keep the basics right.”

Bruce’s chief dilemma is who to field on the left wing with both Albert Adomah and Andre Green absent due to hamstring injuries.

Robert Snodgrass and Josh Onomah were both utilised in that position at Fulham and neither impressed.

The visitors will welcome back Ben Pearson and Greg Cunningham after both missed the draw with Wolves through suspension, though Welsh misses out following his red card

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2018, 04:37:48 PM »
It sounds to me like qv is criticising the home support again. What a surprise!
Or I'm discussing it and giving my opinion on a forum, the same as others are. I'm not the only one saying it. How about giving your opinion on the matter rather than posting with no substance?

It is your thing, though, isn't it - criticising our support?

My opinion is that you worry too much about it. Who gives a fuck what crowds Sunderland get? Really?

Just enjoy the match and the fact we're at least winning games on a regular basis.

As far as I have read, he hasn't criticised our support. He has simply stated that 28,000 would be poor tonight. Villa have tried to boost the attendance (presumably knowing that it was going to be poor) by offering an incentive of tickets for £10. Still this doesn't seem to have enticed many people but they were happy to pay 3 times this amount to watch the derby. Villa want more people through the turnstiles, Bruce wants more people through the turnstiles and the team want more people through the turnstiles. Let's not pretend that this is a theatre where the audience is incidental.

The club have invested and committed massively over the past 18 months or so since Lerner left. Is it really too much to ask the fans to go that extra mile? There is much talk of Leeds fans lifting their team on Sunday to come back from the dead.

It's all very well telling QV to sit back and enjoy the match - I'm sure he will. By the same token, is there anything wrong with him wanting more fans to do the same?

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2018, 04:42:19 PM »
As long as we try and keep to the good things we were doing g prior to Fulham we shall be fine. Get the ball to feet. No hoof balls to Hogan. We don't need to retreat into ourselves now. I think Lansbury or Onomah can play a  significant role if given the chance.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2018, 04:45:58 PM »

Johnstone up front on his own. Don't like that. Why's he in a different colour?

Offline postal

« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2018, 04:50:45 PM »

Johnstone up front on his own. Don't like that. Why's he in a different colour?

He's in a different colour so when the defense hoof it up field they know who to aim for.  ;)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »
Draw all over it.

Why does it have draw written all over it? We beat them comfortably at their place earlier in the season. And while they do have a decent away record we’re very good at Villa Park.

If we apply ourselves as we have done for the vast majority of the past 2 months we’ll win.

I though he was responding to BE's post directly above.

If its a draw it will only be because the atmosphere is shit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal