collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press- ing on and on and..you get the picture  (Read 5952 times)

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
Re: Press- ing on and on and..you get the picture
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 11:17:49 AM »
Maybe football people from across Europe still want to witness a real Derby game that's not been totally sanitsed by Sky and the prawn sandwich brigade. There's a genuine, earthy, realness for Villa v Blose that makes it special IMO.

Mr Woodhall spotted me before the game and was accompanied by a Belgian fella who is researching derby games across the globe. I made the comment that it ain't what it used to be - when I was a teen the derby was more intense because we would each take 10k away fans - but I was chuffed it was a really good atmosphere. Sanitised it wasn't.

Glad you went and they won for you mate. How I would have loved to have joined you, and taken Sonoko to a derby. But it was still great here in Tokyo, loads of Villa in a pub we watched the game in, and not a single Bluenose. Happy days. Tokyo is definitely ours :)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »
Their side of the story.

http://thebirminghampress.com/2018/02/derby-day-disappointment/

He couldn't quite manage to say that the significantly better team won could he?
Instead going for the millions we spent compared to them (how many players did bagpuss bring in that were better than ours???)

To be fair most noses I have spoken to have been very honest about the defeat and conceded that we out played but (and this really hurt them) clearly out fought them and wanted it more. To be fair all they have ever had is "fight" so when we even beat them at that it cannot be compared to how much money we spent on better players

It was about desire and we excelled at having it

UTV

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 01:38:29 PM »
Didn’t we spend just £2 million on two players, Elmo and Whelan, in the summer while Harry spent £18 million?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 01:46:37 PM »
Didn’t we spend just £2 million on two players, Elmo and Whelan, in the summer while Harry spent £18 million?

Don't let facts get in the way of a nose's moronic ramblings :)

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 01:49:22 PM »
Their side of the story.

He couldn't quite manage to say that the significantly better team won could he?
Instead going for the millions we spent compared to them (how many players did bagpuss bring in that were better than ours???)

To be fair most noses I have spoken to have been very honest about the defeat and conceded that we out played but (and this really hurt them) clearly out fought them and wanted it more. To be fair all they have ever had is "fight" so when we even beat them at that it cannot be compared to how much money we spent on better players

It was about desire and we excelled at having it

UTV

I recall one Birmingham Mail article in the summer saying that they had got a better deal getting Marc Roberts than we had getting John Terry.  Not really worked out that way has it? 

Offline russon

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »
Their side of the story.

Had to smirk at his final sentence, pretty clever I’ll give him that. Fair do’s to him for concentrating on his own club rather than ours too, something the rest of them might like to take his lead on, we live in hope.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 02:35:49 PM »
Maybe football people from across Europe still want to witness a real Derby game that's not been totally sanitsed by Sky and the prawn sandwich brigade. There's a genuine, earthy, realness for Villa v Blose that makes it special IMO.

Mr Woodhall spotted me before the game and was accompanied by a Belgian fella who is researching derby games across the globe. I made the comment that it ain't what it used to be - when I was a teen the derby was more intense because we would each take 10k away fans - but I was chuffed it was a really good atmosphere. Sanitised it wasn't.

Glad you went and they won for you mate. How I would have loved to have joined you, and taken Sonoko to a derby. But it was still great here in Tokyo, loads of Villa in a pub we watched the game in, and not a single Bluenose. Happy days. Tokyo is definitely ours :)

It was the same in Shanghai Nik. I saw 3 derbies there from 2009-2011 and only came across one Bluenose.

Sunday was a fine day :)

Hope to see you in Asia this year.....

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 01:23:21 AM »

It was the same in Shanghai Nik. I saw 3 derbies there from 2009-2011 and only came across one Bluenose.

Sunday was a fine day :)

Hope to see you in Asia this year.....

Yes, me too mate. We can toast promotion, hopefully.

If believing that horrid lot was anything to go by, didn't everyone in China support Blues? Haha. I watched the away game in 2011 in Windows at Jingan-Collins got the equaliser, and we pretty much deserved to win it. There were a good 10-15 Villa fans in there that day, behaving pretty badly aswell. A couple of Dutch mates I was with believed it to be 'standard Brits abroad behaviour'.

Looking forward to seeing you soon, mate.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 08:09:24 AM »
Their side of the story.

Had to smirk at his final sentence, pretty clever I’ll give him that. Fair do’s to him for concentrating on his own club rather than ours too, something the rest of them might like to take his lead on, we live in hope.

It was a rather short and (not so) sweet report. I suspect he just wanted to get it done and over with.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 11:50:50 AM »
Another good read Dave  - spot on.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 01:06:08 PM »
Their side of the story.

I wish they had started Gardner too, so he could have got an absolute chasing and had the piss ripped out of him.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2018, 07:31:15 PM »
Talking of sanitised. Lots of Blues fans online saying they were glad that they were Blues fans because of the embarrassing flags (who do we think we are Crystal Palace?), Oasis Manc karaoke etc There was obviously no mention of those happy clapper things they were issued with at their place last time. To be fair I'd happily lose the flags at the start (although I wouldn't mind an eagle or rather a big lion on the pitch to scare the bejesus out of the opposition players, but animal welfare and all that).

Could you imagine the meeting at the council trying to get the safety certificate renewed?!

"An actual, live lion you say?"  ;D

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2018, 07:51:59 PM »
Talking of sanitised. Lots of Blues fans online saying they were glad that they were Blues fans because of the embarrassing flags (who do we think we are Crystal Palace?), Oasis Manc karaoke etc There was obviously no mention of those happy clapper things they were issued with at their place last time. To be fair I'd happily lose the flags at the start (although I wouldn't mind an eagle or rather a big lion on the pitch to scare the bejesus out of the opposition players, but animal welfare and all that).

Could you imagine the meeting at the council trying to get the safety certificate renewed?!

My eyesight isn’t what is was but we’ve had real lions down there for years. Think they have got to used to people, don’t seem to scare people at all. Even got pet names, Hercules and something.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2018, 10:12:48 PM »

My eyesight isn’t what is was but we’ve had real lions down there for years. Think they have got to used to people, don’t seem to scare people at all. Even got pet names, Hercules and something.

Hercules, Bella and Chip. At one family fun day a number of years back 'Bella' asked my wife for a sip of her lager and confessed to to my wife that she was pissed.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2018, 05:38:58 PM »

Hercules, Bella and Chip. At one family fun day a number of years back 'Bella' asked my wife for a sip of her lager and confessed to to my wife that she was pissed.

Was it Les Dawson's daughter in the costume?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal