collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:03:06 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press- ing on and on and..you get the picture  (Read 5917 times)

Offline Deano's Mullet

Re: Press- ing on and on and..you get the picture
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »
Can't wait to read your counterpart's article
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:49:30 PM by Deano's Mullet »

Offline Diablo

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 01:17:10 PM »
In his defence the few times I've read them they've been surprisingly pretty level headed and fair.

Good article Dave it obviously couldn't be written  Sunday lunch this week (timings and all that) but thankfully the team stepped up as a replacement to brighten the day. We need to hold on to an automatic spot now and as has been said if the team give the fans something to turn up for the fans will respond in numbers (whatever accents they possess). Our average attendances should improve now and take us from 2nd in the division currently (before Sunday) above Leeds.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 01:39:14 PM »
Great piece and especially the part about Grealish. I was worried that they would target him for treatment ranging from verbal rants to physical assault to wind him up and lose his effectiveness, but he just got up (apart from when that lump of shit trod on him) smiled and went at them again.
His wanting the ball when surrounded by opposing players and then with a little shimmy is away from them is very George Bestesque and he has now added sheer graft to his game - fair play to the lad.
The horrible injury at the start of the season may, in hindsight, be a blessing as his gym work has meant he has a strength to his game now as well.

The games cannot come quick enough

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 06:25:48 PM »
Maybe football people from across Europe still want to witness a real Derby game that's not been totally sanitsed by Sky and the prawn sandwich brigade. There's a genuine, earthy, realness for Villa v Blose that makes it special IMO.

Mr Woodhall spotted me before the game and was accompanied by a Belgian fella who is researching derby games across the globe. I made the comment that it ain't what it used to be - when I was a teen the derby was more intense because we would each take 10k away fans - but I was chuffed it was a really good atmosphere. Sanitised it wasn't.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 08:18:03 PM »
A happy Villa Park equals a happy planet. Great article Mr W. I so desperately want us to be up there with those so called big clubs.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 08:40:50 PM »
Great goal by Hourihane but that doesn't excuse him for being a passenger for most of the game, whether it is the role he's playing or the position not sure but I want the very good player he was at his previous club.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 11:15:58 PM »
Was he a passenger because he didn't play well, or was it down to the role he was asked to play? When played in a more attacking role he does well, but I don't think he's always asked to do that and it shows in his influence on the pitch. He's a solid and very reliable performer on the whole.

Offline FanNOTCustomer

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 11:27:28 PM »
Maybe football people from across Europe still want to witness a real Derby game that's not been totally sanitsed by Sky and the prawn sandwich brigade. There's a genuine, earthy, realness for Villa v Blose that makes it special IMO.

Yes, atmosphere tourists like what Sevilla get at their matches ,or Dortmund. They are welcome  :)

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 01:20:15 AM »
Was he a passenger because he didn't play well, or was it down to the role he was asked to play? When played in a more attacking role he does well, but I don't think he's always asked to do that and it shows in his influence on the pitch. He's a solid and very reliable performer on the whole.

My problem with Houlihane on Sunday was not the role we was asked to play but the fact that we dwelled on the ball alot and seemed to get caught in possession. He also was the only Villa player to get bullied off the ball by the Noses all afternoon. 

Great strike for the goal though so those of us that slagged him on the match thread (which absolutely included me) all ended up with egg of our faces which under the circumstances was fine by me.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 08:39:09 AM »
Our derbies are old time football events.  The game stripped of marketing, glamour, showbiz and sofa friendliness. The way it should be.  Put a Foster Bros flat cap on the heads of those Villa fans and a Woodbine in their mouths and they could have been roaring on Pongo Waring or Archie Hunter.

Good piece Mr Woodhall.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 08:51:08 AM »

Mr Woodhall spotted me before the game and was accompanied by a Belgian fella who is researching derby games across the globe. I made the comment that it ain't what it used to be - when I was a teen the derby was more intense because we would each take 10k away fans - but I was chuffed it was a really good atmosphere. Sanitised it wasn't.

He was gushing about it afterwards in the Bartons. Nice chap too.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 09:11:46 AM »
Talking of sanitised. Lots of Blues fans online saying they were glad that they were Blues fans because of the embarrassing flags (who do we think we are Crystal Palace?), Oasis Manc karaoke etc There was obviously no mention of those happy clapper things they were issued with at their place last time. To be fair I'd happily lose the flags at the start (although I wouldn't mind an eagle or rather a big lion on the pitch to scare the bejesus out of the opposition players, but animal welfare and all that).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:04:04 AM by Diablo »

Offline Diablo

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
Any chance of a link to this article? I'm having difficulty finding it.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 11:12:09 AM »

Offline Diablo

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 11:13:07 AM »
Magic. Thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal