collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Independent - 'glorious, gleeful pettiness'  (Read 7115 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: The Independent - 'glorious, gleeful pettiness'
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 12:27:27 AM »
I think the worst/moodiest atmospheres in the stands when I have been in the ground were Boxing Day 1982 at their place and the Enckelman game, also at the sty. The moodiest/worst regarding on the pitch was the October '83 'battle of Brum'. The March 2003 probably wins overall as it was equally moody in the stands and on the pitch. It was the night everyone in the ground seemed to lose the plot to some extent.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 01:15:32 AM »
I was actually late into the 03/03/03 fiasco; at least 20 -25 minutes late.

Didn't actually see any snarling faces or moodiness on the way to the ground.

But I remember heading up to the second tier of the Trinity and sensing the malevolence in the air before I even made it through to the other side of the gate. 

Fetid, on and off the pitch.

That's what that rabble bring to the party. They do us no favours at all.

Give me the early 90s when we saw Yanited, Liverpool and actual football teams as our rivals any day of the week.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 11:30:54 AM »
The anger escaped onto here on that dreaded night. The infamous Cnut night IIRC.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »
I think that was the away game that season.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 11:34:18 AM »
No, it was definitely the home game because the main instigator of cnut night was slagging off the fans who had taken time out to put something (although I can't remember what) on all the home seats before the game.

Online thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 11:38:15 AM »
The worst I remember was at the 2nd div game at the sty when we went down under McNeil. Garry Thomson scored and I think we won 2-0. Might have felt more moody because I was on the Kop, colours covered and celebrations very much muted!

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 11:44:10 AM »
03/03/03 will never be matched in terms of sheer nastiness inside VP.  It just can't.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 12:21:30 PM »
The worst I remember was at the 2nd div game at the sty when we went down under McNeil. Garry Thomson scored and I think we won 2-0. Might have felt more moody because I was on the Kop, colours covered and celebrations very much muted!
We never played Blues under Mcneil

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 12:24:32 PM »
We never played Blues under Mcneil

It was under Taylor and we won 2-1. It was freezing and the Sty was an utter dump. There was a procession of evictions throughout the game. Lots of trouble where Tilton and Kop met.
I queued up as a teenager to get a spot and got in about 1:45. Some lad was being kicked out as I entered.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 01:17:15 PM »

It was under Taylor and we won 2-1. It was freezing and the Sty was an utter dump. There was a procession of evictions throughout the game. Lots of trouble where Tilton and Kop met.
I queued up as a teenager to get a spot and got in about 1:45. Some lad was being kicked out as I entered.
What do you mean 'was'?  ;D

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 01:28:53 PM »

What do you mean 'was'?  ;D

Fair point. And well made.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 03:18:59 PM »
I was at the 97 bus stop heading to the Sty for the Garry Thompson game when a girl from an adjacent block of flats shouted from her window and waved a big spliff at me. I fancied her sister so that was the end of my interest in going to the game.

From what I heard later it could have been fate averting my early death as no doubt I’d have been running round with all the ‘characters’ had I gone.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:20:39 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 06:05:31 PM »
I was at the 97 bus stop heading to the Sty for the Garry Thompson game when a girl from an adjacent block of flats shouted from her window and waved a big spliff at me. I fancied her sister so that was the end of my interest in going to the game.

From what I heard later it could have been fate averting my early death as no doubt I’d have been running round with all the ‘characters’ had I gone.
Good to see you've got your priorities right Steve - sex,drugs and football - in that order?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 06:46:19 PM »

Good to see you've got your priorities right Steve - sex,drugs and football - in that order?

No. I’m finished with drugs. The others though, and music - well, what a question!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 07:38:47 PM »
I was actually late into the 03/03/03 fiasco; at least 20 -25 minutes late.

Didn't actually see any snarling faces or moodiness on the way to the ground.

But I remember heading up to the second tier of the Trinity and sensing the malevolence in the air before I even made it through to the other side of the gate. 

Fetid, on and off the pitch.

That's what that rabble bring to the party. They do us no favours at all.

Give me the early 90s when we saw Yanited, Liverpool and actual football teams as our rivals any day of the week.

Using your post about the game on the third of the third '03, take a wild guess what was the first Villa/Small heath derby I took my wife to.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:41:06 PM by Damo70 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal