collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Mortimer  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Brassneck

Paul Mortimer
« on: February 09, 2018, 06:11:29 PM »
Not wishing to detract from the subject in the recent Forest thread, can someone help clear this up for me?

He was one of the first batch of signings that BFR made yet fell out of favour very quickly and soon left the club.

What was the story there? I don't think I've ever understood what went on. I seem to remember a mate telling me that he had run up to the Holte End after scoring and sticking his fingers up or something along those lines. I was at the game in question but was sat in the Trinity.

I can never remember him being a "boo boy" or the crowd doing anything that would be deemed to be getting on his back.

What went wrong?

Offline Confusious says

Re: Paul Mortimer
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 06:23:21 PM »
I believe he thought he was better than he was, and wanted adulation. But when it was not forthcoming to the degree he hoped for he lost interest & conviction which led to his transfer as I recall

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 06:24:24 PM »

Offline luke95

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 06:28:43 PM »
Not wishing to detract from the subject in the recent Forest thread, can someone help clear this up for me?

He was one of the first batch of signings that BFR made yet fell out of favour very quickly and soon left the club.

What was the story there? I don't think I've ever understood what went on. I seem to remember a mate telling me that he had run up to the Holte End after scoring and sticking his fingers up or something along those lines. I was at the game in question but was sat in the Trinity.

I can never remember him being a "boo boy" or the crowd doing anything that would be deemed to be getting on his back.

What went wrong?

Sure it was after he scored his first & only goal for us, he then gave the Holte End the middle finger .

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 06:32:39 PM »
Did he score against us after he left?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 06:32:55 PM »
He scored the 4th against Luton, ran to the Holte with his arms open for adulation and when he didn't get it he turned away with a dismissive wave of his arm. No middle finger or anything.

That was his last league game for us, although he did play in the LC when Grimsby knocked us out in the 2nd round 2nd leg at VP.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:34:36 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 06:38:43 PM »
Found footage of it, 28mins in.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 06:42:54 PM »
Found footage of it, 28mins in.

Good goal to be fair. Also, the fans at the front were celebrating so what did he expect for a goal against Luton, a pitch invasion and being mobbed for his shirt?

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 06:55:49 PM »
Both Cyrille and Dalian in that brief footage of Mortimer’s goal.😢

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 07:45:35 PM »
All very strange. I'm still none the wiser. I can't believe that he came here expecting to be the superstar, given the players we had at that time.

I went to most of those early season games, home and away and can't remember any negative comments from the crowd towards him. I just looked at our results for that season and note that we played at Coventry just before the Luton game. I don't remember that game and probably wasn't in attendance. I note that Mortimer was substituted in the game and wonder if he was having a bad game which prompted the Villa fans to get on his back a bit? There must have been some underlying animosity to prompt him to make that gesture after scoring. I can't for the life of me think what it could have been.

Thanks for all the replies.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 09:21:06 PM »
Perhaps he's a bit of a loon?

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 09:26:33 PM »
He nearly tarnished the sacred name Mortimer at this club.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 11:23:38 PM »
I think BFR said in his book that he was a bit of a punt as much as anything else.  He soon clocked he wasn't up to it and went for Garry Parker at Forest.

As upgrades go, not a bad one.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 12:08:28 AM »
He nearly tarnished the sacred name Mortimer at this club.

It wasn't that bad mate it was only a slight temporary blemish, instantly forgettable, just like Paul who........

Online tomd2103

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 01:01:22 AM »
He scored the 4th against Luton, ran to the Holte with his arms open for adulation and when he didn't get it he turned away with a dismissive wave of his arm. No middle finger or anything.

That was his last league game for us, although he did play in the LC when Grimsby knocked us out in the 2nd round 2nd leg at VP.

Another one of the great Villa myths debunked then.  I've always heard it said that he 'flicked the v's' at the Holte after that goal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal