collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - January Manager Of the Month  (Read 5763 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Steve Bruce - January Manager Of the Month
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 09:36:17 AM »
His Dad would have been proud, I'm sure he was anyway.

What about player of the month, surely one of Hogan, Snodgrass or Freakish walked away with this unless it was some flighty Fulham lad?

The Fulham player got it.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 09:38:50 AM »
He is ultimately responsible for the teams results. On the back of 6 straight victories it is well deserved.

Absolutely agree, whatever the underlying reason for the turnaround Bruce gets credit because it's his name on the door, exactly the same as he had to take the hits in the bad times.

I've said a few times that if you have runs like we did before Christmas you have to counter them with runs of wins, almost every season is the same, the sides that make the top 2 are the ones that can show prolonged runs without defeat where they're winning 7-8 out of 10.  We're on route to that sort of run now and he just needs to keep it going.  If we go unbeaten to the middle of March then it'll be truly in our own hands.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 10:43:57 AM »
Like a lot of others I’ve not been  Steve’s biggest fan as a manager , although he always comes across as I decent human being.  But credit where it’s due , we are no longer the unprofessional shambles that we were both on and off the pitch so well done! Please leave space on your mantle piece for Feb,March and April’s awards.
Hopefully it will bring you a little joy at a very tough time.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 10:47:00 AM »
Will he get presented with a big bottle of Bell's on the pitch before KO on Sunday?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »
He is ultimately responsible for the teams results. On the back of 6 straight victories it is well deserved.

Yes he takes the stick when its bad, so fair play to him.

Does he though? I never once heard him say "It's my fault, I accept the blame for that result" when we lost. What I do recall is his repeated indigence at people calling for his head when we went 5 games without a win at Christmas.

Don't get me wrong. He deserves the award this month, at least when compared to the rest of the Championship, and I recognize he's had a torrid week on a personal basis. He has my utmost sympathy, and I don't dislike him. But I don't think he's always faced the criticism well when we've had bad runs.
Yes he takes stick and lots of it.  There's plenty of threads to have a dig at him on here.  Doing so on a congratulatory thread seems a bit churlish.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 11:22:19 AM »

Does he though? I never once heard him say "It's my fault, I accept the blame for that result" when we lost. What I do recall is his repeated indigence at people calling for his head when we went 5 games without a win at Christmas.

Don't get me wrong. He deserves the award this month, at least when compared to the rest of the Championship, and I recognize he's had a torrid week on a personal basis. He has my utmost sympathy, and I don't dislike him. But I don't think he's always faced the criticism well when we've had bad runs.
Yes he takes stick and lots of it.  There's plenty of threads to have a dig at him on here.  Doing so on a congratulatory thread seems a bit churlish.

I've barely been involved on the forum for years, let alone any of those threads.

If the winning streak comes to a grinding halt - or, God forbid, we lose on Sunday - we'll see how long everybody's good grace lasts. As I said, he deserves the award for January, but December was appalling, and we might still be cursing that run at the end of the season when our recent form hits a speed bump or two along the way.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:28:58 AM by AsTallAsLions »

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 11:33:38 AM »
Are us football supporters ever happy?
Surely we can get off the ride for a bit and just congratulate the guy rather than banging on about before when we couldn’t put a run together?
Regardless of performance levels both team wise or individually six wins on the spin is some achievement in this league. Nice one Steve and all of the players and staff.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 11:39:00 AM »
Little stat in reference to the 'manager of the month curse'
Wolves boss won Novembers and the next game was a 1-0 win v Blues ;-)

Offline Confusious says

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 12:38:06 PM »
Well done Steve Bruce I know you had to wait to get your final piece of your coaching team in Agnew you are covered in all areas now. Glad you stuck to your guns to get us out of the car crash of a club, despite some keyboard warriors. Keep up the good work & good Luck!

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »
Wish it had gone to cottrell

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 01:17:44 PM »
Will he get presented with a big bottle of Bell's on the pitch before KO on Sunday?

Eric Morecambe is doing the presentation.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 01:19:18 PM »

Eric Morecambe is doing the presentation.

Wearing his specs all wonky

Offline cdward

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »
I remember Mourinho after his impressive 78 game unbeaten home run at Chelsea came to an end, he said it was time to celebrate, as it was going to end at some point.  His point was it's better to enjoy the achievement, than focus on the negative of them losing a game.
We will get beat again at some point, so better to just enjoy the moment, congratulate Steve Bruce on a great month and when the winning streak does come to an end, enjoy the fact it was achieved.
FWIW i think we will continue the run to 7 on the bounce.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 01:42:57 PM »

I've barely been involved on the forum for years, let alone any of those threads.

If the winning streak comes to a grinding halt - or, God forbid, we lose on Sunday - we'll see how long everybody's good grace lasts. As I said, he deserves the award for January, but December was appalling, and we might still be cursing that run at the end of the season when our recent form hits a speed bump or two along the way.

And the Gold Medal goes to Usain Bolt, but don't forget those races he lost.
And the winner by knockout is Anthony Joshua, but don't forget in his last fight he should have ended it in Round 5.
And the Oscar for best director goes to Steven Spielberg, but wasn't the last film he did rubbish for not winning.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 01:53:06 PM »
He deserved criticism for December. He deserves plaudits for January. That's how it works when the swings in form and performance are that drastic. Agnew has made a huge difference but Bruce appointed him. So if we are to criticise him for when it goes wrong, in equal measure we should commend him for making changes to his staff, players, tactics etc when it goes well. And right now, it's going well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal