collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Boxing 2018  (Read 27692 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Boxing 2018
« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2018, 04:17:17 PM »
I never liked Bellew but he made the most of his abilities and did more than all but a few fighters manage. I hope he holds onto his money and stays retired.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2018, 11:46:46 PM »
I never liked Bellew but he made the most of his abilities and did more than all but a few fighters manage. I hope he holds onto his money and stays retired.

I heard something earlier about his unpleasant character from. The early days being all about box office, being noticed etc. He has seemed to be a nicer guy the closer he got to the top.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2018, 11:49:59 PM »
Lights out Bellew.

Ended up being the kind of beating which isn't particularly pleasant to watch really.  Not really seen all that much of Usyk to be honest, but I thought in the build up and again tonight that he has very unnerving look and manner about him.

He looked very menacing against Bellew.  Even in the rounds he didn't win, you could see that he had a lot in reserve and he was on the font foot the entire time.  Bellew did well, and can now retire with his head held high, with his senses intact and his bank balance in good health.

Not sure holding his head high is the right term after that twatting! Haha. His senses were scrambled in the post fight interview with Mike Costello. Said the same thing about 10 times, asked if it was a clean shot and said he wanted to fight on. Asked if he could have too. Costello told him a polite 'no'.

Still, he made a few million.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2018, 11:54:53 PM »

I'm obviously not aware of his situation, but I just felt it was a fight that Bellew didn't really need to take and thought that he looked like he sort of felt that way himself throughout the build up.  Beating Haye for a second time would have been a good point to walk away. 

I met him once at another boxing event and he was a nice enough bloke and pretty quiet.  I've always thought that some boxers probably have to.go to a pretty horrible frame of mind to get themselves ready to fight. 

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2018, 10:06:17 PM »
Frankie Gavin fought for the European title last night. He came in five pounds overweight and got stopped in the fourth.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2018, 10:22:46 AM »
Frankie Gavin fought for the European title last night. He came in five pounds overweight and got stopped in the fourth.
I read 4lbs over...but irrespective the guys a disgrace...was another opportunity for him and he obviously didn't put the hard yards in.

Finished now...no way back.....such a waste of talent,maybe a few years ago.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2018, 10:38:59 AM »
He also got there twelve hours before the fight, travelling over on the ferry as he doesn't like flying, and without his trainer after they had a disagreement. What a waste of talent indeed, and I can see him carrying on, dropping down the bill with every fight because he can't afford to retire.   

Offline PGW

« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2018, 11:15:19 AM »
He also got there twelve hours before the fight, travelling over on the ferry as he doesn't like flying, and without his trainer after they had a disagreement. What a waste of talent indeed, and I can see him carrying on, dropping down the bill with every fight because he can't afford to retire.   
I know he's a fan of them but i've always tried to follow his career going to watch him quite a bit in his early years, he certainly was talented. Wouldn't cross the road now.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2018, 08:28:03 PM »
Kal Yafai's not exactly a great ticket seller.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #174 on: November 24, 2018, 09:12:35 PM »
And that was a 'controversial' scorecard.

Offline PGW

« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2018, 10:42:15 PM »
The 117-111 i agree but the others were quite fair.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2018, 10:44:51 PM »
The 117-111 i agree but the others were quite fair.

I have it to Kai by two at the outside and the other way wouldn't have been unfair. Kai was definitely below par; in fact he doesn't seem to have progressed since he won the title 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 10:52:19 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #177 on: November 26, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »

I think the 'problem' with Kal is that although he is a technically sound fighter, he isn't really going to appeal to the casual boxing fan.  For every purist who fully appreciates the skill and technique of a boxer like Yafai, there are a number of others who just want to see a tear up between two loudmouths who bait each other for months in the build up.       

Offline PGW

« Reply #178 on: November 28, 2018, 10:59:35 AM »

I think the 'problem' with Kal is that although he is a technically sound fighter, he isn't really going to appeal to the casual boxing fan.  For every purist who fully appreciates the skill and technique of a boxer like Yafai, there are a number of others who just want to see a tear up between two loudmouths who bait each other for months in the build up.       
I'm afraid i have to agree with you. If Kal is fighting in the Midlands i will go and watch him but if say he's topping bill or chief support somewhere ooop North or down in the smoke it wouldn't attract me unless the main bout was something extraordinary. Just sit at home and watch on TV.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #179 on: November 30, 2018, 05:55:57 PM »
Looking forward to the Wilder Fury fight, I know Wilder is the favourite due to his powerful punching but if it goes the distance Id expect Fury to win.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal