collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sunderland  (Read 22197 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: Sunderland
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2018, 10:34:10 PM »
If we sell 3k for Sunderland on a Tuesday night in March it’ll be incredible, however I really don’t think we will.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2018, 10:40:00 PM »
If we sell 3k for Sunderland on a Tuesday night in March it’ll be incredible, however I really don’t think we will.

Me neither - We're currently on around 1100 with it down to season ticket holders with 1 away. There's a good 3.5 weeks until we play the game and that figure should double in that time. I think with so many going to Fulham and Sheff Wed beforehand, Sunderland will be the one that everyone chooses to skip.

On a positive, we did take a large following up there for a night game about 10 years ago when Lerner laid on free coaches, so it can be done. We also took 3000 to Brighton for a night game last season which is more or less the same distance.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 11:14:19 PM »
Brighton was a Friday night, so plenty will have just booked a day off and had a weekend at the seaside. Different to expecting people to take two days off for the joys of Sunderland in February.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 11:22:28 PM »
Brighton was a Friday night, so plenty will have just booked a day off and had a weekend at the seaside. Different to expecting people to take two days off for the joys of Sunderland in February.

Sunderland is in March and I don't recall anyone stating that they expected fans to take 2 days off. Why would they need 2 days off anyway? They'd be home for 2ish. It would just mean a late night.

And if these people can afford a weekend in Brighton for a football match then surely they can afford a trip to Sunderland? (which actually works out cheaper than Fulham on Saturday)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2018, 12:31:42 AM »
Because Sunderland is a shit day out whereas Brighton/London are actually enjoyable? It isn't that difficult. And not everyone drives, it's two days off if you're reliant on public transport.

Friday night games at the seaside are, obviously, more appealing than those played on Tuesday nights in a grim wasteland miles from anywhere, and weekend games allowing opportunity to travel to and from a venue without spending money on accommodation or taking time off work are more attractive still.

This isn't complicated, fucking Hell.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2018, 06:43:38 AM »

That's what we did for Brighton

As for Sunderland, the thought of getting in for 2am and getting up for work at 6am won't appeal to everybody. It's not always about the money.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2018, 10:15:44 AM »
Because Sunderland is a shit day out whereas Brighton/London are actually enjoyable? It isn't that difficult. And not everyone drives, it's two days off if you're reliant on public transport.

Friday night games at the seaside are, obviously, more appealing than those played on Tuesday nights in a grim wasteland miles from anywhere, and weekend games allowing opportunity to travel to and from a venue without spending money on accommodation or taking time off work are more attractive still.

This isn't complicated, fucking Hell.

How can Sunderland be a shit day out? You can stop off in Osmotherly at the top of the North York Moors and drink in a beautiful village for example. The Stadium of Light is a fantastic stadium and knocks spots off Brighton's. Most go to watch the Villa anyway, regardless of what the town or city is like that we are playing in.

I think you summed it up far better with your original post on this thread at Reply #4:

"Can't be arsed with a Tuesday night away"

You still wouldn't have minded some sucker bumping up your away record though would you?

Ultimately, each person has a right to make their own decisions on when and where they travel. I would hope that there will be 3,000 out there among our support that can be arsed, can afford it and don't have to get up at 6 the next morning (and even some who would travel despite having to get up at 6 the next morning). We'll have to wait and see.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2018, 10:25:36 AM »
I often use references from season ticket holders on here to get away tickets ( to supplement the meagre offering that the London Lions get from the club). I don't see myself as a sucker though, it's more a case of quid pro quo and I'm very grateful. They know who they are and they do a great service

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2018, 10:33:12 AM »
I often use references from season ticket holders on here to get away tickets ( to supplement the meagre offering that the London Lions get from the club). I don't see myself as a sucker though, it's more a case of quid pro quo and I'm very grateful. They know who they are and they do a great service

Anyone who uses a reference for Sunderland is a sucker though. It will go to general sale and most on here claim it isn't even going to sell out.

Why the need to be exploited to the detriment of your own client history just to boost someone elses?

Morally, the using of someone elses reference is wrong anyway because in games of high demand, it is depriving someone of a ticket who has traveled to more away games. Ideally, I would like the club to provide a facility where whoever is in physical possession of the match ticket can have that ticket allotted to their own history. There's no point in having a reference system if it isn't worked properly and people like you will always miss out on games with high demands because the fat cat who has fed you references all season will want to venture to the big game himself.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:34:55 AM by Brassneck »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2018, 10:43:43 AM »
I'm quite happy for people I know, in real life and on here, to use my references. Especially if they might not otherwise be able to get a ticket. It's hardly to the detriment of other fans as it's a game we won't sell out, anyway. Given that it's far away, on a Tuesday night, and in a rubbish city full of Matalans.

You don't like it, I've lost interest.

I assume you won't be doing the driving after stopping off in a beautiful village for a drink?

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2018, 10:52:17 AM »
I'm quite happy for people I know, in real life and on here, to use my references. Especially if they might not otherwise be able to get a ticket. It's hardly to the detriment of other fans as it's a game we won't sell out, anyway. Given that it's far away, on a Tuesday night, and in a rubbish city full of Matalans.

You don't like it, I've lost interest.

I assume you won't be doing the driving after stopping off in a beautiful village for a drink?

Of course it's to the detriment of other fans. Why would they need to use your reference when they could get it recorded on their own history? You certainly seem keen enough to get your history boosted (falsely) - Why shouldn't others do the same? You made no reference in your post to knowing the person either. It was an open invitation to the whole board.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for anyone to need references for these games. Loads go to general sale and if they don't reach general sale, 1 away is almost always enough to guarantee you a ticket.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2018, 10:53:51 AM »
One away is not enough to get tickets for several games and I was very grateful for references for a few games last season.

You haven't answered my question about whether you intend to drink and drive?

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2018, 10:59:18 AM »
One away is not enough to get tickets for several games and I was very grateful for references for a few games last season.

You haven't answered my question about whether you intend to drink and drive?

Your question was a silly one, designed at causing an argument and is not worthy of a response. Other than Burton this season, 1 away has been enough for every away game. Off the top of my head, Cardiff, Reading, Barnsley, Bristol, Preston, Middlesbrough, Sheff Wed, Leeds, Fulham, possibly Sheff U and certainly Sunderland have gone to general sale.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »
Enjoy yourself at Sunderland. Don't kill anyone on the way there or back, please.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2018, 11:19:50 AM »
Five and drive?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal