collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sunderland  (Read 22328 times)

Offline Holte L2

Re: Sunderland
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 08:54:49 AM »
You won't believe this but many, many moons ago, I met a couple of lads from East Bolden on holiday and ended up stopping the night there when we played them (it was the year we won the league)

Haha, funny how things work out.  There's a car park at East Bolden Metrolink. Takes 10 minutes to get to the ground from there.

There's a pub opposite the tram stop called the Beggars Bridge.  And there's another two within a five minute walk - The Grey Horse and The Black Bull.

Offline carl9368

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 10:52:54 AM »
Got 4 refs with all aways on if anyone needs them
Pm if needed
Cheers carl

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »
I doubt anyone is going to need any references for this game to be honest.

References haven't been needed for Fulham which is one of the most popular aways of the season, is on a Saturday and which 4,000 tickets have been allocated. Most away games usually go down to season ticket holders with no aways so there is normally enough tickets to go round.

It doesn't look like we'll shift 3,000 for Sunderland on a Tuesday night which is very disappointing, given our form and what is a stake this season. If the roles were reversed, I'd wager Sunderland would sell out in the blink of an eyelid.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 11:45:06 AM »
You won't believe this but many, many moons ago, I met a couple of lads from East Bolden on holiday and ended up stopping the night there when we played them (it was the year we won the league)

Haha, funny how things work out.  There's a car park at East Bolden Metrolink. Takes 10 minutes to get to the ground from there.

There's a pub opposite the tram stop called the Beggars Bridge.  And there's another two within a five minute walk - The Grey Horse and The Black Bull.

Cheers for that - It's a good shout.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »
Sunderland haven't sold out at Villa Park in years.

Lets wait and see what happens when they actually go on sale before we start complaining.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »
Before complaining about the number of tickets we sell for a midweek game just outside the Arctic Circle, bear in mind how much it costs to go away and remember that sometimes in this league it's twice a week.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 12:04:45 PM »
Being disappointed is hardly complaining. Furthermore, you, yourself have waxed lyrical about how good our away support has been over the past few years (which it has).

However, your comment on the "Arctic Circle" just about sums our attitude towards a trip to Sunderland. For their fans, our ground is a run of the mill away game. To us it's a trip to the Arctic Circle.

I'd wager that Leeds would sell out on a Tuesday night for a game 200 miles away from leeds. I find it disappointing that we likely won't do the same, given our position.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »
Sunderland haven't sold out at Villa Park in years.

Lets wait and see what happens when they actually go on sale before we start complaining.

I said in the same position as us, not what they've done in the past few years.

I agree we should wait and see but as I previously stated, I am not complaining.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »
I doubt anyone is going to need any references for this game to be honest.

References haven't been needed for Fulham which is one of the most popular aways of the season, is on a Saturday and which 4,000 tickets have been allocated. Most away games usually go down to season ticket holders with no aways so there is normally enough tickets to go round.

It doesn't look like we'll shift 3,000 for Sunderland on a Tuesday night which is very disappointing, given our form and what is a stake this season. If the roles were reversed, I'd wager Sunderland would sell out in the blink of an eyelid.

Not shifting 3,000 tickets for a midweek trip to Sunderland is fine and totally understandable. Not everyone is in a position to do it.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 04:07:54 PM »
It might well be fine for you. However, for me, I find it disappointing given our league position.

I haven't just fallen out of the sky. I am fully aware of all of the cons that a midweek trip to Sunderland would bring. The fact remains that we've shown that we can take 3,000+ away in midweek as recently as last season with the trips to Brighton and Barnsley. All the cons in the world would not stop a football fan travelling if (s)he really wanted to.

I can't help but feel if Sunderland, Leeds or even Sheffield Wednesday were in our position, they would sell out a 3,000 allocation that is 200 miles away.

Offline Ads

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »
Sheffield Wednesday who took 1200 to Boro the other day?

Why are you disappointed over something that hasn't happened?

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 04:23:24 PM »

Again, you fail to understand the difference between "the other day" and "being in our position".

I'm not sure you actually read my original post but I said "it looks likely" and that is what I found disappointing.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 04:30:33 PM »
We’ll take 3000 to Sunderland if we’re still in the top 3. Although that perception is true about people thinking Sunderland is just south of Aberdeen yet Crystal Palace on a Tuesday is far harder to get to yet we sold that out last time I went there mid week (when Benteke scored)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 04:32:22 PM by andrew08 »

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 04:35:41 PM »
We don't travel brilliantly to the North East generally. We rarely took more than 2000 to Newcastle yet they would bring 3000 here almost every time. I've been part of a following of about 900 at Sunderland and the only time we took a decent following there was 2500+ in the cup with free travel, until our relegation season when we somehow took 3000. If we're still in the top 2/3 when we play them we should take 3k, no excuses.

Offline Ads

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »

Again, you fail to understand the difference between "the other day" and "being in our position".

I'm not sure you actually read my original post but I said "it looks likely" and that is what I found disappointing.

They've been on sale 8 minutes and only to 12+ and the away scheme. Why does it look likely?

Andrew I think it's because it's such a dull drive. Once you're on the M1 it's never ending. I live 30 miles closer but it seems nowhere near as far because of the M62/M60/M62/M1/A1 at before you get there breaks it up a bit.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:12:45 PM by Ads »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal