collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Championship Memories by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:24:50 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:20:05 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Yeltzer
[Today at 07:18:53 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Axl Rose
[Today at 07:14:14 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:11:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Taylor
[Today at 07:09:17 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs AFC Bournemouth Pre-Match Thread by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:08:36 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:07:14 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Burton (Not match thread)  (Read 8790 times)

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
Re: Burton (Not match thread)
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 10:58:49 PM »
The club have tweeted that a crowd of 32.5k+ is expected. It will be just over 33k imo, can't see Burton bringing many as they only had 2k at home the other night!
Doug has been giving them tax advice. 
I think you’re right, taking 4000 empty seats in the Trinity top tier away plus the gaps in the away end I didn’t see where the other 3000 gaps were ?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 12:56:07 PM »
Well it goes to show that trying to work it out by counting seats left on line was a waste of time   ::)

Considering how many was there the atmosphere was dead

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 01:09:43 PM »
Well it goes to show that trying to work it out by counting seats left on line was a waste of time   ::)

It has been all season. Even Bristol City when we scored 5 the atmosphere was poor.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 01:18:59 PM »

It has been all season. Even Bristol City when we scored 5 the atmosphere was poor.

If only you'd sing like you moan it'd be electric.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 08:22:39 PM »

If only you'd sing like you moan it'd be electric.

He's right though - the atmosphere's generally crap at VP these days.

Lambert has a lot to answer for but breaking the fans' collective souls with the shit he served up has got to be top of the list.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 10:11:47 PM »
Is the general atmosphere at Villa Park really that different; better or inferior than th vast majority of stadia around the country or Europe? When it’s rocking it’s brilliant and very loud. But for the most part when it’s the middle of the game and not a whole lot is happening is it that different to other places? And some of these bigger grounds with bigger crowds are hardly raucous. I think from my experience it’s not that different to most places but with the upside of it being simply incredible at times which sets it apart from other clubs. Not many places have the Holte or a structure like it.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2018, 11:08:42 PM »
As we had won 5 in a row I was expecting a bit more atmosphere, the team were flat for the first 20 minutes and so was the crowd. That set the scene.
It’s a bit grind out the win, get the points and move On to the next game.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 06:34:15 AM »
Is the general atmosphere at Villa Park really that different; better or inferior than th vast majority of stadia around the country or Europe? When it’s rocking it’s brilliant and very loud. But for the most part when it’s the middle of the game and not a whole lot is happening is it that different to other places? And some of these bigger grounds with bigger crowds are hardly raucous. I think from my experience it’s not that different to most places but with the upside of it being simply incredible at times which sets it apart from other clubs. Not many places have the Holte or a structure like it.

Maybe the Villa isn't that different to other grounds now but it feels different to 10 years ago. Burton's entire away following could've arrived in a minibus but there were still times on Saturday when you could hear them from the Holte. I genuinely think a lot of fans have had their enthusiasm beaten out of them and it'll take a while, if ever, for it to come back.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2018, 06:44:03 AM »
We were playing a glorified non-league side.

It's the way it is. Man United and Liverpool probably have decent atmospheres when they play each other, but they're flat when they play us unless there is an incident that incites the crowd. It's been that way for 20 years.

Be a much better atmosphere on Sunday.

Offline frank black

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2018, 07:28:48 AM »
Different demographics going to games now, the good/bad old days are gone.

Just stop moaning, sit down sip your cappuccino and leave 10 mins before the end if you don’t like it. Along with the other 2000, trying to miss the traffic.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2018, 07:36:06 AM »
I’ve wondered if the closure of most of the local pubs has had an effect, a few years ago you’d have a few beers locally and there would normally be a sing song in the pub which got you in the mood a bit.

That and being shit for the best part of ten years.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 08:44:33 AM »
I'd imagine being shit for over half a decade has had the biggest effect.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 09:18:36 AM »
I'd imagine being shit for over half a decade has had the biggest effect.

Yep, apart from a few fleeting glimpses, any sense of hope and expectation was beaten out of us from the appointment of McLeish to the dying embers of Black and relegation. It’s going to take a few more months/years to get any level of consistent positivity back in the fan base. Relegation and the manner of it, destroyed the link between the fans and the team/players, it’s only just lately started to recover.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2018, 12:57:44 PM »
Couple of points... the capacity used to include all hospitality seats, so I know there are loads of those unsold, (if you wanted a seat at the blues game in a box you could probably get one). Also there were 1500 seats above the 800 or so Burton fans. So with 4500 in the Trinity, 2000 in the Witton Lane and 1000 in hospitality there's only another 1500 empty seats around the ground that make up for the total missing.

As for the atmosphere; we have been bludgeoned to death as fans over the last 8 years (and even before that our home performances and results were never great). That said we are a bit flat as a crowd. Look how Leicester got behind their team once they had a sniff of success, same with Stoke when they first came up to the Premier League. We have never been noisy and intimidating on a regular basis, but it would be great if we could get behind the team more during the run in.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2018, 02:08:40 PM »
Different demographics going to games now, the good/bad old days are gone.

Just stop moaning, sit down sip your cappuccino and leave 10 mins before the end if you don’t like it. Along with the other 2000, trying to miss the traffic.

I reckon that is about it - different demographic and fewer people who have known a noisy atmosphere. I disagree on one point though - it's a lot more than 2000 leaving early. I always wonder if the  people who regularly leave early also go to the cinema and miss the last 5-10 minutes of the film.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal