collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa match thread by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:25:48 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:24:04 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:08:23 PM]

Tennis 2024 by maidstonevillain
[Today at 08:02:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: When English Football Ruled Europe  (Read 11121 times)

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
Re: When English Football Ruled Europe
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2018, 10:51:37 AM »
Yeah, you're probably right Damo. Doug would have probably broken up that team no matter who the manager was.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »
Considering the desperate reputation of ITV Sport, the documentary was superb, it was worth noting that presenter Gabriel Clarke was also co-producer. In an age of hyperbole and bullshit on sports coverage this was both understated yet deeply powerful in it's coverage across all teams with bias towards any single one impossible to detect.

One of my most notable memories of 26th May 1982 was the empty chair next to me that day at school and hoping, rather selfishly, that Damo was off sick and not, as I feared with gathering jealousy, on the way to the Netherlands......

Online ez

« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »
Villa's win tends to get overlooked a lot. It was nice to see a documentary that gave equal attention to our victory as it did to Liverpool/Forest. Villa's win is worthy of a full-length doc in its own right.

I respect every English victory in the European Cup, especially Liverpool and Chelsea having to play away to their opponents in the 1984 and 2012 finals. But the story of Forest from the second division in 1975 to 1979 and 1980 double European champions under Clough and the Villa story from third division to champions of Europe in ten years will surely never be matched.

For me it's chelsea that stand apart from the rest as they never won the European Cup. The champions league has a lot more money involved but doesn't have the same prestige.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal