collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Players you've wanted to do well/badly after leaving Villa  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
Players you've wanted to do well/badly after leaving Villa
« on: January 13, 2018, 10:52:07 PM »
Well:
Benteke - I think he deserves a better club than Palace to be honest
Baker - not the best defender we'll ever have, but he tried his best
Gestede - see Baker
Adama - the potential is there but he's a bit rubbish. If he was good, it'd be great to see.
Further back:
Dion
JPA
There'll be others

Badly:
Downing
Delph
Craig Gardner - although I enjoy him being fairly insignificant even if it is a slight contradiction of terms.
Lescott
I'm too young to remember fan's favourite Steve Hodge...

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

Re: Players you've wanted to do well/badly after leaving Villa
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:18:58 PM »
Well: Anyone who wasn't just here for the money and gave it a go; and who left on good terms and/or we got good money for; and didn't go to a team I hate; and/or players who came through our academy.

Badly:  Everyone else - almost everyone we've signed in the last 6-7 years.

Wasn't arsed about losing Downing, he had half a good season and we robbed Liverpool of £20m for him.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:22:55 PM »
I didn't mention Olof and Bouma. Really hoped they'd make a success of their careers after playing for us.

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:24:15 PM »
Always pleased to see Steven Davis doing well. No idea why we let him go for peanuts. Gary Cahill as well.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 12:59:29 AM »
Hodge, although it was funny when he got lonely in London. It was even funnier when Dorigo jumped ship to go to Chelsea and we passed them as we went up and they went down. I was gutted watching Andy Gray score in and win cup finals with Wolves and Everton. I was distraught at seeing my childhood Villa idol Tony Morley in the shirts of Sandwell and Small Heath. I didn't mind so much the likes of Bremner and Mortimer playing for Small Heath at the tail end of their careers and certainly didn't shed any tears over the likes of Blake and Hopkins. It hurt seeing my one time favourite Steve McMahon do so well with Liverpool and I was gutted when Colin Gibson went to United around the same time. Platty never looked right in an Arsenal shirt. I had no problem with the likes of Ridgewell (in fact he gave me more pleasure in a Small Heath shirt than when he played for us) or Davies. But I do have a genuine dislike of that annoying scrote Craig Gardner.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 02:17:09 AM »
I wish we could have kept Davis and Cahill both were sold before their prime and replaced with duds.

Offline Kimaster1976

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 09:14:59 AM »
The Davis and Cahill sales were ultimately what undid O'Neill's reign and started the long term rut and Lerner closing his chequebook.

Sell 2 talented young players with a very bright future for peanuts and replace them with the likes of Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Knight and Davies for ridiculous money and wages to mostly sit on bench.

Offline saint13

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 10:51:54 AM »
Yes, for some reason O'Neil could not wait to get the two of them out the door despite the fact that Davis had carried us for a season when he was only emerging in the team at the time.

It was the first glimpse for me that he was not all he was cracked up to be as a manager.Iit will be interesting to see how he does at Stoke if he gets offered the job.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 03:45:17 PM »
Yes, for some reason O'Neil could not wait to get the two of them out the door despite the fact that Davis had carried us for a season when he was only emerging in the team at the time.

It was the first glimpse for me that he was not all he was cracked up to be as a manager.Iit will be interesting to see how he does at Stoke if he gets offered the job.

I'm sure the story around letting Cahill go involved MON not liking his style pf play/distribution. I thought he looked a class act from the start with us.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 04:41:55 PM »

I'm sure the story around letting Cahill go involved MON not liking his style pf play/distribution. I thought he looked a class act from the start with us.

O'Neil didn't think he was a very good defender. Curtis Davies signed to replace him.

Petrov being signed meant there was going to be no place for Davis.

In a minority I know but seriously don't know what additionally Petrov bought that couldn't have been added to Davis's game.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »

O'Neil didn't think he was a very good defender. Curtis Davies signed to replace him.

Petrov being signed meant there was going to be no place for Davis.

In a minority I know but seriously don't know what additionally Petrov bought that couldn't have been added to Davis's game.

MON preferred experience. A bit like Mourinho in that respect.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »
Young, Milner and Barry. I feel privileged to have seen them play for us and am glad they went on to have further success. My old man used to wax lyrical about some of the half back lines of our past and I think those three are names that should live on in the Villa annals. An absolute joy to watch all three.

Felt nothing but good wishes for Sid, Walters, Platt, Yorke, Ugo, Southgate, Mellberg, Benteke, and quite a few others. If they put in a shift and gave us some enjoyment, I have a lot of time for them. Also agree with those who still like Davis and Cahill.

The only ones I don't have any real care about are those who appeared like they couldn't be arsed or bleated to such an extent they got a move. I can forgive Yorke, Ugo, Southgate and Benteke because of what they gave while they were here and I get their reasons. Harder with Delph and, especially, Solano. Impossible with Hodge and Dorigo.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 04:57:13 PM »
Hodge, although it was funny when he got lonely in London. It was even funnier when Dorigo jumped ship to go to Chelsea and we passed them as we went up and they went down. I was gutted watching Andy Gray score in and win cup finals with Wolves and Everton. I was distraught at seeing my childhood Villa idol Tony Morley in the shirts of Sandwell and Small Heath. I didn't mind so much the likes of Bremner and Mortimer playing for Small Heath at the tail end of their careers and certainly didn't shed any tears over the likes of Blake and Hopkins. It hurt seeing my one time favourite Steve McMahon do so well with Liverpool and I was gutted when Colin Gibson went to United around the same time. Platty never looked right in an Arsenal shirt. I had no problem with the likes of Ridgewell (in fact he gave me more pleasure in a Small Heath shirt than when he played for us) or Davies. But I do have a genuine dislike of that annoying scrote Craig Gardner.

Strange to think Bremner played nearly as many games for Blues as he did for Villa.

Gardner a total cock.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 01:56:09 PM »
I very much wanted Andy Gray to do badly at Wolves.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 09:34:58 AM »
I very much wanted Andy Gray to do badly at Wolves.

I think them getting relegated and going bankrupt at exactly the same time as his replacement was winning us the European Cup ticks that box.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal