collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston ‘Barnstorming’ Villa vs Barnsley Post Match Thread.  (Read 17223 times)

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
Re: Aston ‘Barnstorming’ Villa vs Barnsley Post Match Thread.
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2018, 10:49:19 PM »
It's really rather nice to be coming up from London these days without much concern for whether we'll win or not.

Few random thoughts from the day.

You'd think by now that away teams would understand that there's really no point in making us attack the Holte first half. It won't change anything.

That 4-1-4-1 is really working for us. Barney has really found a spot in the team where he can excel. Other than one give away from a Terry pass, he did the simple things really well, and kept the energy levels up all the way through.

You can really see the Agnew effect in the pre-match routines. No more casual, half-arsed shooting. Full-on, pressing drills. The six-on-six two-ball drill getting players moving the ball through a crowd really showed in the game itself – Jack's set up for Conor's goal being one case in point.

Our crossing has improved massively of late. Every ball in from Snoddy, Albert and Elmo caused them problems. I don't remember a single aimless cross.

A full Holte in full voice is a wonderful thing. It properly felt like the 12th man at times. Their number 19 getting subbed 10 minutes after he'd blazed into the Holte, with 'you're f***ing sh**' still ringing in his ears was a thing of great joy and beauty.

I was sitting next to a lad of about eight, face painted claret and blue, massive smile on his face throughout and singing his heart out with his Dad. Made me think of all the times my Dad took me at that age, and even though he died 20 years ago, it's the place I feel closest to him. Nice to think that there's a whole generation of kids who actually want to go to games again after the dross of the last few years.

In short, all good. Already looking forward to Burton next.
Great post mate 👍
X 2 👍

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2018, 11:32:49 PM »
It's really rather nice to be coming up from London these days without much concern for whether we'll win or not.

Few random thoughts from the day.

You'd think by now that away teams would understand that there's really no point in making us attack the Holte first half. It won't change anything.

That 4-1-4-1 is really working for us. Barney has really found a spot in the team where he can excel. Other than one give away from a Terry pass, he did the simple things really well, and kept the energy levels up all the way through.

You can really see the Agnew effect in the pre-match routines. No more casual, half-arsed shooting. Full-on, pressing drills. The six-on-six two-ball drill getting players moving the ball through a crowd really showed in the game itself – Jack's set up for Conor's goal being one case in point.

Our crossing has improved massively of late. Every ball in from Snoddy, Albert and Elmo caused them problems. I don't remember a single aimless cross.

A full Holte in full voice is a wonderful thing. It properly felt like the 12th man at times. Their number 19 getting subbed 10 minutes after he'd blazed into the Holte, with 'you're f***ing sh**' still ringing in his ears was a thing of great joy and beauty.

I was sitting next to a lad of about eight, face painted claret and blue, massive smile on his face throughout and singing his heart out with his Dad. Made me think of all the times my Dad took me at that age, and even though he died 20 years ago, it's the place I feel closest to him. Nice to think that there's a whole generation of kids who actually want to go to games again after the dross of the last few years.

In short, all good. Already looking forward to Burton next.
Great post mate 👍
X 2 👍

I thought the big bloke who was taken off was not that bad. Caused us problems in the air so I was kind of glad he got the hook. They also had a half decent player in the middle.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2018, 06:16:14 AM »
The point above about pre-match drills is a good one. Always thought we looked very amateurish before

Very pleased at the moment. One cause for concern was the chances we gave away. 5 very good ones I’d say. We’d get punished for that in the prem. Almost all of them were self inflicted. That is unusual for us, so hopefully an aberration.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2018, 07:54:42 AM »
We'll get 40k + crowds for SHA, Wolves, Leeds and Derby I reckon. Cardiff and Reading on Easter Monday won't be far off either.

Well yes the 4 biggest home games are yet to come in terms of attendence. 2 x high 30s and 2 x low 40s would be my guess

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2018, 01:16:35 PM »
Leeds are in their natural position I think. They've spent fewer seasons in the top flight than the Blues, for example.

Let's not talk Blues up too much. They may have been in the top flight more times but they have played 24 more seasons than Leeds. It's 50 out of 91 for Leeds (55%) and 57 out of 115 for Blues (50%). In summary; Blues are shit.

Excellent work.

Bravo!

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2018, 10:01:39 PM »
On December 23rd after blowing that 2-0 lead vs Sheff Utd, we were 9 points off an automatic promotion place.

It's now 3.

The team is doing well.

This season could yet be great.

Does anybody on here appear on The Villa View?  ;D

Just asking because I was listening to their post match reaction on Youtube last night and they read this post out so they definitely come on here.

Great channel btw.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal