collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:27:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What the Villa mean to me  (Read 6102 times)

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: What the Villa mean to me
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »
Hope you get well soon VCTM I echo JD great thread.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 12:44:43 PM »
Great post VCTM. Sorry to hear about the health issues, I've great respect and admiration for your tenure as season ticket holder etc from afar. I'm sorry to say I've only made the trip over for one game so far this season, but hoping to make the Wolves match and hopefully playoff semis if we get there. It does get harder to support the club from Ireland, the Championship is not well covered here, but like you I've got the club in my blood - my mother passing away after 68 years of supporting the Villa through thick and thin just cemented this, the club has always been in our family but I'm the last one left now who can carry on the 'legacy' after many cousins etc have lapsed.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »
Not many things in life can effect my mood like The Villa. I'm guessing Villa also defines me in that if you asked any of my family, even extended family and friends what was the first word that they thought of when I was mentioned, chances are they would say 'Villa'.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »
There's a couple of, what I assume, are Irish season ticket holders who cross the road where I do on the way back after every home game and equally I know of Corky from from NI who goes to every game, home and away. I have a lot of time for that sort of effort.

For me the Villa means a great deal, but its ability to sway my mood has diminished considerably.

I put a fair amount of time and resources into attending by virtue of my unfortunate geographical location. I found that I became perhaps most numb to it in the relegation season. I can recall countenancing relegation under Houllier and it must have been akin to being told you had just months to live it was such a horrifying prospect. But as I walked out of Old Trafford, I just shrugged and didn't care. I felt proud to have sung defiantly for the club at the end, as everybody was, rather than the players on the pitch.

For me we are a huge club with the biggest potential going and I take a lot of pride from that. I think, bizarrely, being down here has restored a bit of that and polished the ego; we are the big boys on the block. We are the highest gate of the season for most of the clubs down here and its nice to be the big cheese again. We have started winning too and there's a real pleasure in driving away having won.

I guess I use the victories to shape my mood and try and rationalise the defeats. There are occasions, Preston away and Brentford away, where I've been absolutely steaming about the result, but I calm down fairly quickly.

I love going to Villa Park. I think part of it is that nostalgic feeling that I enjoy about being home in Birmingham, but I enjoy the dash down the M6 and the anticipation match day brings. Away games remain the more exciting prospect and I've been looking forward to Forest since the final whistle against Bristol.

Ultimately, its a hobby, a past time and it supposed to be fun. Sometimes moaning about it is enjoyable, but on the whole I love it. I've been to some great places here and abroad following us and some absolute dog holes too. Its never felt like time wasted for me. I appreciate with age becomes a tinge of regret and a sense of loss as life enters later years and that perhaps fuels some of the more misty eyed posts in the thread, but I don't think there can be a single member of this board who hasn't taken immense joy from being apart of this fraternity.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:51:37 PM by Ads »

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 01:51:18 PM »
What Waynejames posted earlier set me thinking on this again.  Like him, the Villa was a great friend to me when I didn't have too many, they had all entered into relationships and I didn't see much of them.  The Villa was a constant in those times and I would travel away as often as I could on my own. 

I always had hope with the Villa that one day we would actually come good and win something.  That culminated in that night in Rotterdam but, for me it was the bitter-sweet defeat of Highbury the year before.  I cannot put into words good enough my feelings on running back to the car and the enormity never fully sunk in until I was driving to referee a match somewhere over the Maypole way when, sitting at traffic lights I let out this total involuntary roar.  Other drivers must have thought I was mad.

Rotterdam was special, my marriage and the birth of my kids and subsequent grandkids even more so but that day at Highbury fulfilled all my Villa dreams.

I was at the Sheffield United match over Christmas and did what I always do, walked around the ground and general area, Villa Park is, as it always has been is an imposing stadium and whilst I believe losing the old Trinity Road stand was sacrilege, I have to admit grudgingly, that the new one is, from the outside impressive.

Having got into our seats, I cannot describe my feelings just sitting there taking in the atmosphere.  It evoked memories of long gone days and HEITS and I recall looking at the old men that used to stand around where I stood when I was a boy and listen to how they used to talk about players I'd never seen and the history of the club and I realised that I was now one of those old men.

My feelings for the Villa will never change.

Get well soon VCTM.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 01:58:27 PM »
Great memories Dave.

Offline mike

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2018, 08:13:05 AM »
I fell out of love with football in general and then Villa in particular. The greed, the arrogant players, the sheer cynical shittiness of the whole set up. The final straw was when I thought about getting my boy a Villa shirt and realised the bloodsucking immoral price it was going to cost me. I can afford it but there must be so many people who have to make sacrifices just to give their kids a rubbishy bit of nylon that would cost a tenner without the badge on it so some wanker can be paid an obscene salary. I got fed up of all of this nonsense having the power to make or break my weekend. The only thing that kept me going was this site. Then I got abuse from some bloke who calls himself Clampy over a bit of light hearted fun. I thought, fuck, it, that’s me. I chucked the Villa stuff out and didn’t even look at the results any more. I paid one more visit here a while ago to find we were doing shit and Clampy was aggravating someone else, so I patted myself on the back and gave it up again.

Then, I started taking my boy to football in Malvern and it was like a sea of red shirts. Mostly Man Utd with a few Liverpool thrown in. I’ve always said I’d rather he was a nose than a glory hunter, so there and then I sat him down and told him he can only support the team where he lives or the team I support. I got him home, ordered him a shirt, found some highlights for him to watch (Bristol City of course) and my wife dug out a scarf that I must have forgotten I’d bought her. So it’s back on the rollercoaster for me.

Now, ironically, VCTM was always a poster I’d look out for, always made sense and never sniped, plus my wife is from over that way. Sorry to hear you’ve been poorly, mate, get yourself better.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 08:10:41 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys - very much appreciated -
I am feeling well enough to make the shortish journey to Bury on Monday to watch the kids -  I have travelled to watch the kids in the past - ie Barnsley and Blackburn for example
It makes me proud to watch youngsters playing for the shirt that still  means so much to me - more so than watching some of the overpaid prima donnas we have attracted over recent years
I hope to meet up with some Villans at Gigg Lane or the nearest boozer to it

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 08:35:23 PM »
Unusual one for me. I only get to 3 or 4 games a year, mainly due to circumstances and location. I have loved the Villa since 71. Probably my favourite match was 3-1 win over Bournemouth. But as you grow up and have kids it's hard to justify the money against what the family needs.

I haven't lived in Brum for over 35 years, and lived in various locations. The toughest was when I lived in Chester, half were 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' and half were Man U. They used to take the piss, even the ones who were born in Suffolk and said they had always supported Man U. In the end I told them my Grandfather was Spanish, so I had a season ticket for Barca, which I shared with my cousin. Load of crap but they fell for it and sort of looked up to me. Anyway I have lived up North for a while now, I could get to quite a few away games in the championship, but I can't go. I contacted the Villa to try to get away tickets but I don't have enough home games. I know I couldn't do the home end. When the Villa score, It don't matter if I'm with 20 OAP'S or 300 absolute knobheads, I go off my feet with GET IN.  I would get a pasting most weeks.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 08:51:05 PM »
Great post VATM but  Aston Villa are Aston Villa regardless of circumstances.  They could be bottom of the Bisto Gravy League and I would love them with all my heart.  Fuck the fuckers.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:52:44 PM by brian green »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2018, 08:57:20 PM »
PS    Mike ignore Clampy.

Offline cdward

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »
The Villa to me is like a family, the "We did not choose, we were chosen" line sums it up for me.
It is a roller coaster of emotions that only other fans will understand.
When they win, only we know how happy it makes us feel, when they lose, only we know how it affects us.
We can criticise them, but if a non family member tries, we defend them to the hilt.
We tend to drift away with age, but will always be part of the family.
Younger members are shown the family tree(trophy cabinet), so they know their what their history is.
We have had our ups and downs, and the birthday parties (cup finals) are good but becoming few and far apart.
Personally I will always love them, even though they annoy the hell out of me just like my real family, I have passed on the baton to my kids, and hope they continue the blood line to their kids.
They are always part of my life, even if I don't visit them every week like I used to.
VTID

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2018, 05:25:15 AM »
I fell out of love with football in general and then Villa in particular. The greed, the arrogant players, the sheer cynical shittiness of the whole set up. The final straw was when I thought about getting my boy a Villa shirt and realised the bloodsucking immoral price it was going to cost me. I can afford it but there must be so many people who have to make sacrifices just to give their kids a rubbishy bit of nylon that would cost a tenner without the badge on it so some wanker can be paid an obscene salary. I got fed up of all of this nonsense having the power to make or break my weekend. The only thing that kept me going was this site. Then I got abuse from some bloke who calls himself Clampy over a bit of light hearted fun. I thought, fuck, it, that’s me. I chucked the Villa stuff out and didn’t even look at the results any more. I paid one more visit here a while ago to find we were doing shit and Clampy was aggravating someone else, so I patted myself on the back and gave it up again.

Then, I started taking my boy to football in Malvern and it was like a sea of red shirts. Mostly Man Utd with a few Liverpool thrown in. I’ve always said I’d rather he was a nose than a glory hunter, so there and then I sat him down and told him he can only support the team where he lives or the team I support. I got him home, ordered him a shirt, found some highlights for him to watch (Bristol City of course) and my wife dug out a scarf that I must have forgotten I’d bought her. So it’s back on the rollercoaster for me.

Now, ironically, VCTM was always a poster I’d look out for, always made sense and never sniped, plus my wife is from over that way. Sorry to hear you’ve been poorly, mate, get yourself better.
A sentiment I agree with Mike, the sniping of other Villa fans ( and there are only a few that w@nt to make it personal) really does grate with me.
I come from that place that a fellow Villa fan is allready head and shoulders above any other stranger you might meet.
I do love tha camaraderie when I go to Villa Park and striking up conversations with other fans, it evokes the memories of going with my Dad and his mates, sadly all gone now. Villa Park is a place I have to keep going back too, I still feel a strong sense of belonging. I am looking forward to my next visit Burton Albion in a couple of weeks time.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2018, 11:26:05 AM »
My beautiful wife Diane died of lung cancer 6 months ago, losing her has been devestating, nearly everything that previous mattered no longer does yet my feelings for the Villa remain exactly the same, Villa is one of the few things in life that gives me a purpose, I talk to her all the time but as kick off nears I always say gotta go for a while now speak to you again after the game, so the question was what does Villa mean to me? the answer is everything.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »
My beautiful wife Diane died of lung cancer 6 months ago, losing her has been devestating, nearly everything that previous mattered no longer does yet my feelings for the Villa remain exactly the same, Villa is one of the few things in life that gives me a purpose, I talk to her all the time but as kick off nears I always say gotta go for a while now speak to you again after the game, so the question was what does Villa mean to me? the answer is everything.

It's fantastic that the Villa are helping you through such a tough time. Quite a humbling read, all the very very best to you.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal