collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by rjp
[Today at 08:48:21 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Beard82
[Today at 08:46:12 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:45:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 08:44:42 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:44:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:44:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:43:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:43:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What the Villa mean to me  (Read 6137 times)

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
Re: What the Villa mean to me
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2018, 11:37:42 AM »
Coming home and meeting up with friends and family

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2018, 04:59:49 PM »
My beautiful wife Diane died of lung cancer 6 months ago, losing her has been devestating, nearly everything that previous mattered no longer does yet my feelings for the Villa remain exactly the same, Villa is one of the few things in life that gives me a purpose, I talk to her all the time but as kick off nears I always say gotta go for a while now speak to you again after the game, so the question was what does Villa mean to me? the answer is everything.

Truly sorry to read of your tragic loss - it puts my own health concerns in perspective
I get what you are saying and yes to many of us having an attachment like a club or a networking venue ( ie Villa Park, boozer,away ground) helps us through testing times - good on you Steve - I am sure Diane will be watching over you buddy

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2018, 05:09:05 PM »
My beautiful wife Diane died of lung cancer 6 months ago, losing her has been devestating, nearly everything that previous mattered no longer does yet my feelings for the Villa remain exactly the same, Villa is one of the few things in life that gives me a purpose, I talk to her all the time but as kick off nears I always say gotta go for a while now speak to you again after the game, so the question was what does Villa mean to me? the answer is everything.

Do you ever go in the Plough Steve ?

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2018, 08:58:31 PM »

Do you ever go in the Plough Steve ?

Yes I go to the Plough in Far Forest, not a proper boozer, its all about the food there but its just up the road and walkable for me.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2018, 10:22:13 PM »

It's fantastic that the Villa are helping you through such a tough time. Quite a humbling read, all the very very best to you.

Same from me Steve, as Clampy says that was humbling to read, and puts a lot of things in perspective.  UTV mate.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2018, 10:49:29 PM »
What does Villa mean to me? Since the 1960s I have been so proud to be a Villa fan, so proud to own the stadium (we all own a bit of it don't we?). I went regularly throughout my youth (Andy Lockhead's winner against Bournemouth, sliding down the mudbank that was the Witton End, stamping on the wooden Trinity Road stand when things got interesting, Charlie Aitken's surge forward to set up the winner against Spurs in the winter murk, beating Leicester City 8-3 in the 60s when none of my mates wanted ti go cos it was raining, plus loads of other memories I could go on about all night) then moved to London, moved to Spain, met my wife, got married, moved to Paris, moved back to London, had my two beautiful daughters, watched them grow up, worked hard, then started taking them to the games; then when they grew up and got partnered up, left home, I went back to being a season ticket holder. I love the banter, I love being part of the Villa family, I love a full raucous Holte End, and every time I take friends and family there, I feel part of it and love the way they are so impressed. I will always love going to the Villa - I now go up in the train from London after years of driving and listening to WM on the way home. Now there are always true Villa fans to talk to in the pub at New Street, on the train on the way home; we are a true family. Long may it last. Just turned 70 and still proud to be a Villa fan.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2018, 08:34:41 AM »
That's one long umbilical cord that attaches us all to the club Martyn.

Don't forget the semi final League cup win against ManU and the fivers against Arsenal and Liverpool too

Offline East Anglian Villan

• We go again, and again.......
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2018, 11:45:44 AM »
Even since leaving Birmingham in 2000, I've retained my season ticket (smart card or whatever it's called these days), and along with Dr Butler still make the 100 mile or so trek to B6.
The approach to the ground still feels the same as in 1978 for my first game even if the ground has changed beyond recognition since that day.
Despite the dark times - and I've seen relegation twice now - Villa remain a constant in my life no matter what has happened. Admittedly, I have fallen somewhat out of love with the game as a whole with the influx of money, the attitude of clubs to toward the FA Cup, SKY buggering about with kick off times and this obsession for finishing fourth in the Premier League...but when Saturday comes (Friday night / Sunday mornings etc...) and we are playing, the whole day centres around the match.
My Mrs even takes into account the fixture list when arranging stuff and never ever books anything without consulting me first - even she realises that Villa are my first love....
Frustrating as it is to be a Villa fan, I'll always be somewhat obsessed with the colours and the whole thing - whatever that is - I can't quite put my finger on it...
Away days are and have been frustrating as well given our lack of winning them over the last few years but the day out with the lads is always fun and regardless of the results we go again.....  :)
UTV

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2018, 12:59:24 PM »
I’m not surprised, so many have such an emotional attachment to the club ,if it was on team performance alone I’m sure many would have drifted away years ago. I have followed this club for 58 years and it just adds another dimension to my life and this sites part of that.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2018, 02:50:23 PM »
"this sites part of that."
I know exactly how you feel. Haven't got a clue who anyone is on this site, spoken to some of you in passing years ago and yet we all have a common bond, (unlike Facebook and other bloody annoying friends sites)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal