collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:51:26 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:46:59 AM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 02:14:03 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What the Villa mean to me  (Read 6129 times)

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: What the Villa mean to me
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 06:00:30 PM »
My love and affection for the Villa dies when I do, regardless.

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 06:10:16 PM »
I live for Aston Villa.  That's not an exaggeration.  Most else is a handy passtime between games.  Yes, I'm young, but I hope I'm like this til I die.  My old man is, so I don't see why I can't be too.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 06:13:40 PM »
Only my wife and family mean more. Usually.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 06:15:04 PM »

upload images

What a place.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 06:16:19 PM »
History and stadium. The rest feels pretty meh to me at the moment and has done for the last 4-5 years.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 06:25:46 PM »
It is a strange one. My relationship with Villa and the game in general has changed over the years. It is still a release from the hum drum of life. Still an excuse to go out for a few beers. Still likely to set my anger buttons to Def Con 8. But it isn't as important as it used to be.

I enjoy venting my spleen in the fanzine about who I don't like elsewhere in the game. I enjoy what I do with the Trust to make the lot of our supporters, and those of other clubs, better. But it still isn't the fun it was when I was wide eyed youth.

I really associate it now with my pals. I have often thought it is worth just stopping going so I can free up lots of time and money. Spend it with the family instead.

But there are lots of people I class as friends that I just wouldn't have occasion to see if it weren't for the football. It is that which I find hard to give up on.

Whether this changes again when the boys get older I don't know. But I like to think some people I met through here, and have now known for many years, would roll out the red carpet for the kids at a game if I croaked it tomorrow.

Like a wider family, if you will. They might be downtrodden and miserable about it all, but a wider family nonetheless.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 06:34:55 PM »
I am also an exiled Brummie with a season ticket. I must love the club, why else would I travel up and down the motorway every other week to watch what we have had to put up with over the last few years.
   I do know that when we win I feel that life is a wonderful and the world is ok, when we lose I don't watch any football for days, crazy I know but as earlier posters have said after Wife and family The Villa is my life.

Apologies meant to add this at the beginnng, Get well soon VCTM.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 07:51:31 PM by West Derby Villan »

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 08:37:33 PM »
Aston Villa is the closest thing to faith I'll ever manage. There is no reason to believe, but I do. That's the only illogical thing in life I'm willing to put up with.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 08:56:04 PM »
Villa, whether good, bad or mostly somewhere in between, have been the only constant in my entire life. Something I return to when times have been difficult stretching back early childhood through adolescence and into adulthood. Villa have seen me through my parents' messy protracted divorce as a kid, my own relationship break ups and a period ill health. Villa have propped me up consistently they have helped me so they deserve my support. However this is not a blind uncritical devotion - as with (most) other football fans I can't go elsewhere.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 09:59:14 PM »
It was once a passionate, all-consuming affair; it is now that staid, loveless marriage where all your partner's faults are laid bare and drive you up the wall.  But we've got history and splitting up now is not only not worth the effort, I know that I'd actually miss her - and - to be honest - if close my eyes I can still see clear as day what I fell in love with as that wide-eyed, star-struck kid on the Witton End terrace all those years ago. 

Offline ColinMac

• GM : 12.05.2021
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 10:19:58 PM »
Villa used to be the most important thing in my life, now they are not, still enjoy going to games but I can take or leave it, if there is something that clashed then I have no qualms with missing a game (so much so I won’t be going to Villa Blues).

Had a season ticket for many years, then moved away from Birmingham and only maintained it for one season after that, 12 months ago,  after 8 years away I moved back to Birmingham and got a season ticket again.  I will probably attend only half of this seasons home games.

The Villa is a day out a few beers and a chance to see mates these days. Results don’t make or break my weekend, they are usually forgotten by the time I have walked through Aston Park.

Not sure if I have changed or the Villa or football have changed, used to obsessively watch any games on TV, now I can’t be arsed.

Offline waynejames

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 11:06:27 PM »
From the age of 5 to now aged 45 Villa have always been my friend. A friend that has always been there for me. A friend that has completely let me down at times, a friend that hasn't even bothered turning up for me at times, usually 3pm every other Saturday!. A friend that forgives me when I don't turn up. Most importantly a friend that will always be there come rain or shine. I always park the car near my mate Fred's by the Villa Tavern, I've have always approached Villa Park from Aston Church Road (I grew up on the rock so that's the way), I've always gone into the newsagents by the Brit Pub and said hello to the owners. Its a pre match ritual, we are creatures of habit and having Villa around is good for the soul.
I moved away from Brum and gave up my season ticket post O'Neil. I feel a bit of a let down when I only turn up on Boxing Day 2016 vs Burton, Fulham Away last season and Bristol City New Years Day.
Kids, Work, Wife, Life dictate now, the Villa used to be the be all and end all. In charge of me but not anymore, years ago if I missed a game I was the let down......
The way the game has changed is not for the good, I get my kicks now (excuse the pun snooker players!) from playing and watching snooker. It's a different ball game altogether (another pun sorry).
I will always love the Villa and will always be there for them in mind, (not always body!) and soul.
Up the Villa and god bless all who roll with em....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:26:32 PM by waynejames »

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 11:14:00 PM »
The one thing that has changed for me is that the match is only part of it now.  I love the day or night.  Another thing that has changed is that I now much prefer home games.  Will still go aways  but not the same as they were and hate standing up in cramped rows of seats away.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 12:11:10 AM »
You can choose your friends but not your family.

Family are stuck with each other, you might not like it, at times detest it, but always will it well in the end.

You might try and become part of a new family, but that won't work because you'll always yearn to love your proper one. Even if you don't see each other for days, weeks months or years.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 07:33:59 AM »
It shouldn't matter but it does.

The joy I get from a Villa win is so driectly out of proportion to what it really represents in the scheme of life, the universe and everything that some people would probably have me certified. I have tried to temper the flipside of getting too down after a defeat, we've had enough practice on this one the last few years, but it does piss me off at least temporarily when we do. For whatever reason the fortunes of the club are deeply ingrained in my psyche and I can't imagine life without it. Even when I think I don't care my reaction to the next match confirms that I do. It's difficult to explain to people who haven't got the bug but I know I'm talking to fellow travellers on this site.

Totally agree Meanwood Villa.
Even being on the other side of the world doesn't take away the pain every time we lose and the euphoria when we win. I try to pretend that it doesn't mean as much to me nowadays but it doesn't work.

Great thread VCTM and I hope you get well soon mate.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal