collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Oh we're not Press-ed up - again  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Simon Page

Re: Oh we're not Press-ed up - again
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 10:30:25 PM »
I always feel like Richard Herring on International Women's Day when the subject of Man Utd in the World Club Championships comes up, but never tire of it so here goes:

England were bidding for the 2006 Word Cup. FIFA introduced its World Club Championships and demanded the inclusion of the European Champions. Man Utd said they didn't want to take part. FIFA got a bottom lip, then the FA and Tony Banks (then Sport Minister) put pressure on the club because it would hinder the World Cup bid if they refused, so Man Utd said they'd do it but wouldn't appear in the FA Cup 3rd Round taking place at roughly the same time. For such a usually classless - or at least solipsistic - club they acted impeccably. I hope the Villa would have done the same.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 10:37:06 PM »
I always feel like Richard Herring on International Women's Day when the subject of Man Utd in the World Club Championships comes up, but never tire of it so here goes:

England were bidding for the 2006 Word Cup. FIFA introduced its World Club Championships and demanded the inclusion of the European Champions. Man Utd said they didn't want to take part. FIFA got a bottom lip, then the FA and Tony Banks (then Sport Minister) put pressure on the club because it would hinder the World Cup bid if they refused, so Man Utd said they'd do it but wouldn't appear in the FA Cup 3rd Round taking place at roughly the same time. For such a usually classless - or at least solipsistic - club they acted impeccably. I hope the Villa would have done the same.
I've never considered Man U classless, Liverpool however?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 08:17:08 AM »
I can't imagine a planet where Manchester United behave with more dignity than Liverpool.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 08:24:38 AM »
The words "dignity" and "Manchester United" are mutually exclusive.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal