collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Oh we're not Press-ed up - again  (Read 2482 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
Re: Oh we're not Press-ed up - again
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 10:07:51 PM »
Great piece Dave as you've put into words as to how the FA Cup is seen by the majority. I grew up in an era when the world seemed to stop on Round 3 day at 3 o'clock. That's not the case anymore as teams smell the stench of the Premier League circus and the get there at all costs outlook.

Just like the games modern giants have diluted the importance of this treasured competition so the games modern giants decide what will happen next to the football landscape. Not the Premier League or the FA.

I personally cannot wait for the big six to disappear into the distance and play Barcelona and PSG every other week.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 10:08:18 PM »
Nice work Dave. Puts things into perspective.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:37:36 PM »
Why's the pitch such a mess? Didn't we win some award last year?

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 10:41:05 PM »
Glad you mentioned the pitch Dave.
The first thing I said on taking my seat on Saturday was that I had not seen the pitch looking so bad for a long, long time.

Offline Ayup

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 11:08:43 PM »
Good read.

Offline Boz

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 09:22:46 AM »

Have we lost the award winning groundsman?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 10:04:37 AM »
Spot on Dave.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 10:35:57 AM »

Have we lost the award winning groundsman?

Jonathan Calderwood was head hunted by PSG I think 3 years ago and won groundsman of the year in France in his first season. 

The pitch doesn't look the best this season.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 01:36:33 PM »
Great piece and sums up exactly how I feel about the FA cup.

I cannot remember a year growing up in the 60's 70' 80's where my Mother would make a special spread on FA cup final day and the whole day was spent with the build up and the game. The only games I have seen in the last 17 years both involved Villa and I was there - absolutely not interested in it any more.
With all the ills of modern moneyball the blame can be put firmly at the foot of Man UTD. The day the FA allowed them to "drop out" of the competition for financial gain by them and presence for the FA they started killing the competition off and then allowed year after year Fergiscum to play absurdly weakened teams without reprise.

The greatest cup competition in the world is now a case of which moneybags team wants to win it when it suits them.

As for the pitch I am not sure what happened as it was perfectly ok for the Bristol game but did look in terrible condition on Saturday

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 02:20:15 PM »
Very good last section, Dave. Players like Nigel Sims and Alan Deakin will be remembered with an affection and respect that the present generation of mercenaries will never earn. (Basil D'Oliveira is in the news today because his widow's just died. The present Worcs players who come and go, as the Villa players do, will never achieve his standing in the minds and hearts of the supporters).

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 06:34:12 PM »

I cannot remember a year growing up in the 60's 70' 80's where my Mother would make a special spread on FA cup final day and the whole day was spent with the build up and the game. The only games I have seen in the last 17 years both involved Villa and I was there - absolutely not interested in it any more.
With all the ills of modern moneyball the blame can be put firmly at the foot of Man UTD. The day the FA allowed them to "drop out" of the competition for financial gain by them and presence for the FA they started killing the competition off and then allowed year after year Fergiscum to play absurdly weakened teams without reprise.

The greatest cup competition in the world is now a case of which moneybags team wants to win it when it suits them.

As for the pitch I am not sure what happened as it was perfectly ok for the Bristol game but did look in terrible condition on Saturday

Very good article Dave.

Lawrenson made a good point on the radio this weekend. When commenting on the weakened teams fielded by the bigger clubs in various ties eg Villa v Peterborough, he said that the bigger club may field good players with ability / experience etc but they are not used to playing  and fightingas a unit.  That weakens them when the chips are down.

Re Hookeysmith's comments above, I thought that Man U were obliged to drop out of the FA Cup the year they had to compete in that Brazilian tournament? IIRC they were not too pleased about it themselves.

The FA cup is following the League Cup in that most fans only get interested now once they get to the quarter finals and Wembley looms on the horizon.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 06:38:16 PM »

Very good article Dave.

Lawrenson made a good point on the radio this weekend. When commenting on the weakened teams fielded by the bigger clubs in various ties eg Villa v Peterborough, he said that the bigger club may field good players with ability / experience etc but they are not used to playing  and fightingas a unit.  That weakens them when the chips are down.

Re Hookeysmith's comments above, I thought that Man U were obliged to drop out of the FA Cup the year they had to compete in that Brazilian tournament? IIRC they were not too pleased about it themselves.

The FA cup is following the League Cup in that most fans only get interested now once they get to the quarter finals and Wembley looms on the horizon.

Much as I hate them, Man Ure had little say in it. FIFA were trying to make a big deal of the tournament and the FA pushed it in the hope of votes for a World Cup bid.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 06:40:27 PM »
Regarding the pitch maybe we need to get Souters to have another look at it.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 06:49:51 PM »

Very good article Dave.

Much as I hate them, Man Ure had little say in it. FIFA were trying to make a big deal of the tournament and the FA pushed it in the hope of votes for a World Cup bid.

Agree totally with all three posters above, 100%

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal