collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

The Running thread by Richard E
[Today at 01:42:41 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Olneythelonely
[Today at 01:40:20 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:37:23 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 01:28:47 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 01:25:44 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by usav
[Today at 01:25:15 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:22:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is the squad good enough for promotion ?  (Read 4227 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Is the squad good enough for promotion ?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 06:01:43 PM »
Boro and Bristol surprised me. I thought we were looking at another run like last January. I didn't think we were capable of a result like Bristol or a performance or rather we weren't capable of unleashing the overwhelming quality we have.

So who knows. We ought to win the next 4.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 06:10:40 PM »
Rowett to Stoke would help.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 06:41:16 PM »
Yes. Rowett to us would be even better

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 06:52:04 PM »
Manager holding us back due to lack of flair. Squad needs a firing Kodjia to go up. Let's see what the window brings.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 08:25:16 PM »
To get promoted? Yes.

To stay up? No.

This team is solid and built on some excellent loans and high quality veterans who are in their swansong. If we go up we absolutely need to sign better players in each of those positions.

Bruce should be getting credit for assembling a promotion worthy squad out of loans and older players, as well as blame if he doesnt do it.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 11:26:18 AM »
To get promoted? Yes.

To stay up? No.

Completely agree.

This team is solid and built on some excellent loans and high quality veterans who are in their swansong. If we go up we absolutely need to sign better players in each of those positions.

Bruce should be getting credit for assembling a promotion worthy squad out of loans and older players, as well as blame if he doesnt do it.

Can't quite agree with this part - assembling a promotion worthy squad out of loans and older players? He spent £15m on Hogan, and considerable fees by Championship standards for Lansbury, Hourihane, Bjarnason etc.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 04:17:05 PM »
Watford got promoted with a team full of loans and made wholesale changes since going up. We have a decent core, and Xia has already indicated we’ll have to spend a good amount once up. My concern is giving that responsibility to Bruce.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 04:21:49 PM »
My concern is the balance of the squad, especially taking into account injuries. Spoilt for choice in some areas of the pitch and not so in others.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 04:25:50 PM »
I maintain that Bruce will be gone at the end of the season regardless. Either failure if we're still here or thanks if we go up. Tony will want a new beginning.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 08:50:18 PM »
Yes.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 08:56:54 PM »
I maintain that Bruce will be gone at the end of the season regardless. Either failure if we're still here or thanks if we go up. Tony will want a new beginning.

Not a hope in hell of Bruce walking out on this job if he gets us up in May, nor will Xia sack him. Bruce has been waiting for a job like Villa all his career and he’s gonna fight tooth and nail to keep it. The only way he’ll leave is If we struggle in the PL next season and he gets sacked. Other than that is just fantasy stuff.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 09:02:05 PM »

Not a hope in hell of Bruce walking out on this job if he gets us up in May, nor will Xia sack him. Bruce has been waiting for a job like Villa all his career and he’s gonna fight tooth and nail to keep it. The only way he’ll leave is If we struggle in the PL next season and he gets sacked. Other than that is just fantasy stuff.

Yep completely agree. My concern is who are the types of player will he bring to the club, and he will have money to spend. We will at the very best be a mid table side in the PL if all things go well, but it will be a slog at times. I just don't trust Bruce to be the man to buy the players or long term be the manager. But there's no chance at all he'll be fired if we go up.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 09:06:28 PM »

Yep completely agree. My concern is who are the types of player will he bring to the club, and he will have money to spend. We will at the very best be a mid table side in the PL if all things go well, but it will be a slog at times. I just don't trust Bruce to be the man to buy the players or long term be the manager. But there's no chance at all he'll be fired if we go up.

I want him to get us up and put some firm foundations down in the PL. He’s a limited manager, he’s, but there’s not many others out there with a better record of getting teams out of this league.
Basically what I’m saying is that we should worry about the PL when we get there, not now.

Offline django

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 09:10:11 PM »
A sign of our squads depth tonight was that Lansbury was Forests best player when we played them last year, but tonight he was never likely to get off our bench. We're one of a few teams good enough for promotion and should at least get into the play offs. I've got a feeling we might even be able to reel Cardiff and Derby in. But we'd be in deep shit in the premier league.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 09:15:40 PM »
The squad is certainly enough to get promoted, obviously we will need strengthening IF and WHEN we get there and we will. What we have to do is get there first and then we can concern ourselves about the future.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal