collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Disrespecting the cups  (Read 15486 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Disrespecting the cups
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2018, 02:03:09 PM »
I think we've just been shit in the FA Cup for about three generations, simple as that.

That's view as well

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2018, 02:19:17 PM »
Managers come up with excuses all the time. Whether it's we can't compete with the Doncasters of this world, the shirts are the wrong shade of grey or that was never a penalty. For every cub that's done well (which nowadays seems to equate with finishing 17th in the top flight for most) and gone out of the cups early, there's a Moscow or a relegation season. Meanwhile, the winners of the cups in recent decades also tend to do well in the league regardless of their moans about fixture congestion.

My issue isn't particularly with Bruce because if you are good enough to play for the Villa first team you should be good enough not to be humiliated by lower division sides on an increasingly frequent basis. My problem is the excuses and silver linings follow the defeats while beforehand we are implored to give up our hard earned to chase the dream. If bosses and clubs really don't want the extra fixtures, don't enter the bloody thing. Otherwise, you know what your number of fixtures could be and plan accordingly. Either way, don't claim before 3pm you are desperate to do well for the fans then spend the next 90 minutes royally screwing it up season after season. When it comes down to it, give me a League Cup and League Two ahead of Premier League survival and an insipid capitulation in the knockouts. I appreciate I'm a dying breed in this respect.

I'm also not sure today's players have the slightest clue about how good or bad we were in cups three decades ago. Again, cause and effect?

Offline john e

« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2018, 02:27:35 PM »
Managers come up with excuses all the time. Whether it's we can't compete with the Doncasters of this world, the shirts are the wrong shade of grey or that was never a penalty. For every cub that's done well (which nowadays seems to equate with finishing 17th in the top flight for most) and gone out of the cups early, there's a Moscow or a relegation season. Meanwhile, the winners of the cups in recent decades also tend to do well in the league regardless of their moans about fixture congestion.

My issue isn't particularly with Bruce because if you are good enough to play for the Villa first team you should be good enough not to be humiliated by lower division sides on an increasingly frequent basis. My problem is the excuses and silver linings follow the defeats while beforehand we are implored to give up our hard earned to chase the dream. If bosses and clubs really don't want the extra fixtures, don't enter the bloody thing. Otherwise, you know what your number of fixtures could be and plan accordingly. Either way, don't claim before 3pm you are desperate to do well for the fans then spend the next 90 minutes royally screwing it up season after season. When it comes down to it, give me a League Cup and League Two ahead of Premier League survival and an insipid capitulation in the knockouts. I appreciate I'm a dying breed in this respect.

I'm also not sure today's players have the slightest clue about how good or bad we were in cups three decades ago. Again, cause and effect?

I agree with all of that

Offline john e

« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2018, 02:30:34 PM »
maybe it's an age thing
I bet if you did the analysis the younger generation don't care as much about the cups as the older ones amongst us, it's no ones fault just different priorities we have been bought up with

I'm in my 50's and absolutely hate it when we go out of the cups and see no silver linings

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2018, 05:16:50 PM »
maybe it's an age thing
I bet if you did the analysis the younger generation don't care as much about the cups as the older ones amongst us, it's no ones fault just different priorities we have been bought up with

I'm in my 50's and absolutely hate it when we go out of the cups and see no silver linings

I'd love to see us win a major cup trophy (second place shields or Intertoto cup don't count).

I just realise some seasons we're more capable of mounting decent cup runs than others.

The MON years we obviously could compete more as we did in 09/10. Not just getting to the fourth round but making semis and finals.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal