collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Disrespecting the cups  (Read 15487 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Disrespecting the cups
« on: January 06, 2018, 09:24:13 PM »
I know we are far from being the only club, but we are The Villa 7 times FA Cup winners,  5 times winners of the League Cup, and of course a certain European Cup.

The argument is always  that a  cup run can damage your league  prospects.  Well last season when we lost at Tottenham we were lower mid table so not quite sure on that one.

Its not only the manager who picks a weakened  squad, the Villa bandwagon is also downsized.  Less hospitality, paper tickets  for season ticket holders, no visit to the Holte Suite by the legends that were in attendance and no opening  of the Holte Suite after the game.

For a sizeable number of fans they target a visit to Villa Park for the first cup tie.  A large number of kids were in attendance thanks the £1 offer.

FA Cup runs never did the likes of Man Utd, West Ham, Millwall, Cardiff or Sunderland any harm as a 2nd division club so what makes us so special.  Don't forget we managed a double in 1975.

The FA Cup is the holly grail for a lot  of Villa fans so please Dr Tony please can you instruct our great club to at least make a fist of it next  season.  UTV

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
Re: Disrespecting the cups
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 10:30:48 PM »
Used to love the FA Cup but such is the nature of football these days most clubs in the top two divisions would rather finish in a 'safe' 14th place than run the risk of having to play extra games to actually win a trophy. I hate seeing clubs like Peterborough and their support being described as "no marks", that's the sort of arrogance that we used to rightly condemn Man United supporters etc for coming out with.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 10:51:31 PM »
I still love the FA Cup and dislike the way teams don't play their strongest teams. There again that team today should have been good enough. My one criticism is that Elphick should have started alongside Terry, he don't need a rest. I would also have started Whelan

Offline luke95

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »
Could take us only 6 games for us to win the f a cup.

Yet a lot of fans want to make the league a priority where it'll most probably take 10 wins just stay in it or 20 wins to be in with a shout of winning it.

Call me old fashioned buI'd'd rather we went to win every game as it comes be it league , f a  cup or egg cup

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »
I don't think its disrespecting the cups really, it's just values have changed. Once the FA cup was a big prize financially as well as prestige and probably worth more than the prize money for winning the Div.1 league.  Now you have the situation where us going up is worth many many millions more than a FA cup win. What sane club isn't going to aim for that? If someone offered 38m for winning the cup like they offer for finishing first in the premier league and 24m for getting to the last 8, then I guarantee no-one would disrespect it 8)

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 11:11:49 PM »
Ths season, out of all the seasons I can recall, is the one where we needed to be pragmatic in our approach to the FA Cup. I'm sorry to admit that the fact we've gone out means nothing to me (easy for me to say when I haven't paid for the privilege of seeing it I know).

That's not to say I dont hate the way the FA Cup has been completely dumbed down over the last 15 years though. Until there's a Champions League place attached to winning it it'll never change unfortunatley.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 11:50:58 PM »
Its a shame and a sad reality that today might have been my last early FA Cup visit to Villa Park as I've just about had enough of the weakened side selection over the years. A 3rd Round home tie guarantees a weekend off for the first team.

My ideals are outdated I suppose and  my £10 won't really matter because if I see my manager treat today as a training exercise then why should I bother?

As a fan I feel a few emotions right now.

Conned. Because what I saw today wasn't a committed team effort. Players played out of position. I'm not keen seeing my goalkeeper time wasting after 60 minutes at home and also not happy about seeing midfielders after missing tackles sitting on their arse pulling up their socks while the opposition attack and disappear into the distance.

Sympathetic. Because young guys like Callum O'Hare have waited and waited for opportunities of game time and when a start comes along he's playing in nothing more than a glorified training game.

Frustrated. Because all of that momentum gained over the last few games has gone down the toilet. What about a bit of a feel good factor with a Cup run or is that really an out dated opinion.

I'll guarantee to everyone here that we wouldn't have got anywhere near the Final but we won't find that out now will we?

So fine. Next season can the club not patronise us by giving us all of this magic of the cup bollocks when we're clearly not interested in competing in this great competition.

Or just play the U23's

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 12:37:24 AM »
Nunkin1965, I agree, if we don't win next week the momentum has gone and there will be another crisis. What team id you want to start if I may ask?

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 07:40:17 AM »
Totally agree with the main poster. We lose momentum and also is there any empirical evidence whatsoever that a cup run harms your league form?

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 08:00:22 AM »
I have been watching this guy since we played Ipswich. Interesting perspective I thought.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 08:02:11 AM »
Nunkin1965, I agree, if we don't win next week the momentum has gone and there will be another crisis. What team id you want to start if I may ask?

One with at least 8 changes to include out first team from the one that finished yesterday I would imagine.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 08:23:27 AM »
There will always be an excuse.

Let's say we actually get promoted. Next season will be a battle just to stay away from the bottom six, so when the 3rd round arrives we'll be making the same excuse that there's something else more important and we can't have the extra games.

The chances of us winning any silverware again are extremely remote.

I love the FA Cup and hate the way it's been completely devalued.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 08:31:43 AM »
The disrespect shown to both domestic cups, especially the F.A. Cup, is something I find really difficult to comprehend. I guess it's an age thing, but as someone for whom Cup Final day was one of the highlights of their childhood year, it was one of the main reasons I became a football fan.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is the disrespect is a combination of the F.A. themselves devaluating their competition with sponsorship, rule changes and scheduling; allowing the tail to wag the dog, i.e. the big clubs determine some of the rule changes for their own benefit; and an influx of overseas owners, managers and players from countries where the domestic cup was always a minor consideration and have brought with them that prevailing attitude.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 09:18:57 AM »
Totally agree with the main poster. We lose momentum and also is there any empirical evidence whatsoever that a cup run harms your league form?

1969. Leicester reached the final losing to Man City but got relegated.

Offline dl9

• It all began vs Eintracht Frankfurt......
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 09:35:20 AM »

1969. Leicester reached the final losing to Man City but got relegated.

2013 Wigan win the cup and get relegated

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal