collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston ‘we almost caused a shock’ Villa v Peterborough Post Match Thread.  (Read 23967 times)

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
That's the Villa, QPR, Bristol City and Brentford going out to teams from a lower division.  Small consolation, we have a squad of players who set up properly should be capable of beating the likes of Peterborough.

Bollocks, I was looking forward to a cup waddle at the very least.

Online lovejoy

In the overall scheme of things this isn’t the most important match of the season.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Team put out was not good enough I'm afraid.

Club as a whole obviously not good enough in its present state to compete for this trophy, I'd say that's fairly obvious.

Whisper it quietly but it might not be the worst thing to happen to us. Newcastle and Brighton were both beaten by lower league teams in last seasons competition and didn't do either any harm.

So we better dominate the rest of the way then like those two teams did. I watched Derby yesterday take Man U very late into the game at Old Trafford and lose. You can still put in a decent showing even if the outcome is a defeat. They will take heart from that game and they rotated their line up. We won't take any confidence from this debacle. So I hope you're right and we kick off where left off vs Bristol City at Forest next week.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024

Club as a whole obviously not good enough in its present state to compete for this trophy, I'd say that's fairly obvious.

Whisper it quietly but it might not be the worst thing to happen to us. Newcastle and Brighton were both beaten by lower league teams in last seasons competition and didn't do either any harm.

Bruce will use it as justication that the squad needs to be strengthened in Jan as the likes of O'Hare, RHM, Bree etc aren't up to it yet.

Green going off at half time is worrying, hopefully only a precaution.

Elphick should have started next to Terry, playing Bree centre back was nonsense.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021

So we better dominate the rest of the way then like those two teams did. I watched Derby yesterday take Man U very late into the game at Old Trafford and lose. You can still put in a decent showing even if the outcome is a defeat. They will take heart from that game and they rotated their line up. We won't take any confidence from this debacle. So I hope you're right and we kick off where left off vs Bristol City at Forest next week.

It happened after the Boro game.

I just don't get the feeling we were cup for it today and yes that is on the manager so he can be blamed for that.

Same as when Lambert came out with the cup isn't important and then Sheffield United turned us over.

Next few weeks will show whether we've gone into another tailspin.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
I'd like to get worked up but I seriously couldn't give a shit. I suspect Bruce got the result he was after.

I hate early round cup games against lower league sides.

Crap atmosphere
Poor performances usually
Over enthusiastic day trippers from No Mark FC
Whoppers sat around you where season ticket  holders couldn't be arsed to turn up.

Unbalanced side. No holding player on the park. Lacklustre at best.

But still, meh.

Offline kippaxvilla2

‘Yeh well people have been shoutin’ at me to give the kids a go so I have done today and you can see they’ve let everyone down.’ 

Offline Boz

For all the money spent, our squad isn't great and our manager doesn't seem to be able to get more out of them through charisma or ideas. We piss this competition away yet again.

These are attributes Bruce doesn't possess, at least not positive ones

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
I know it's not the priority for the season. I know our chances of winning the competition was slim to none. I know it wasn't our first team.

BUT

I don't like losing. I don't like seeing our club humiliated. I don't like seeing positive momentum grind to a halt. For that reason I'm pissed off right now.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Not good enough and a really poor follow up to Monday.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024

It happened after the Boro game.

I just don't get the feeling we were cup for it today and yes that is on the manager so he can be blamed for that.

Same as when Lambert came out with the cup isn't important and then Sheffield United turned us over.

Next few weeks will show whether we've gone into another tailspin.

Having just battered Bristol City it would have been nice to continue the feel good feeling and momentum of winning. Something we've only done now once in 7 games. Instead he set out with an unnecessarily conservative approach at home to a lower league team and we've been turned over. Steve Bruce is his own worst enemy.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
I'm glad we didn't equalise. Peterborough on a Tuesday Night, ergh fuck that.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
I'd like to get worked up but I seriously couldn't give a shit. I suspect Bruce got the result he was after.

I hate early round cup games against lower league sides.

Crap atmosphere
Poor performances usually
Over enthusiastic day trippers from No Mark FC
Whoppers sat around you where season ticket  holders couldn't be arsed to turn up.

Unbalanced side. No holding player on the park. Lacklustre at best.

But still, meh.

Attendance 21k I see, imagine Posh took 3-4k so you're talking 17k Villa fans.

Reality is FA only gets exciting from 5th round onwards if you're not a lower league team.

I doubt anyone on here can even remember who we beat in the 3rd round the year we got to the final in 2015. I just had to check it now.

We've seen many times a half empty and flat VP transmits to the pitch. World of difference to Monday when everyone was up to it from the minute the fireworks started.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
This club needs to develop a culture of winning, so this result does matter in that context.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
Each to their own. Personally I prefer my team not to lose.
I'm glad we didn't equalise. Peterborough on a Tuesday Night, ergh fuck that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal