collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan Deakin  (Read 8341 times)

Offline stubbsyandy

Re: Alan Deakin
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »
Sad news indeed, my condolences to all his family and friends. As with Oscar, that team was one of my first memories of our beloved Villa, and Alan Deakin one of its mainstays thru changing times.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »
That really is sad.  He is three years younger than I am.  Great, brave, creative player.  The rapier to Mike Tindall's broadsword in Joe Mercer's team.  Adored him.  Wanted to be him.  Very odd observation for which I crave indulgence.  He had a very bad complexion just like I did then..  My salvation was that if Alan Deakin could cope with acne so could I.  Always remembered as the face under Dennis Law's boot.  Those of you who think you have seen The Holte explode should have been there that day.  God bless you Alan.  Sleep on you Villa hero.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 01:05:34 PM »
Before my time unfortunately but my Father always talked about him and the infamous incident with Denis Law

For those that were there please relay the incident again

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 01:15:59 PM »
Alan was one of my first Villa heroes along with Colin Withers, Charlie Aitken, John Sleeuwenhoek and Tony Hateley....tough times to be a Villa fan but I worshipped all of them! Alan Deakin was automatic choice every game and should have been selected for England but for competition for his position. A schoolmate who was a Baggies' fan had an uncle who knew Alan who gave him a shirt with the number 4 on it....I tried for years to get it off him but failed!

A fellow Villa fan told me that he spoke with Denis Law at a book signing and asked him about the head stamping incident...Law said he was due in Manchester to open a night club and was being paid handsomely for it so had to do something outrageous to get off the field and on the train to Manchester, so....
how true it is I have no idea!

RIP Alan.

Offline godzvilla

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 01:44:17 PM »
Before my time unfortunately but my Father always talked about him and the infamous incident with Denis Law

For those that were there please relay the incident again
16 Nov 1963 , Villa beat a highly fancied Utd side 4 nil . Hately (2) Burrows & Deakin himself, were the scorers.
I  was young man standing down front of the Witton End , Law & Deakin had been at it all the game, with Deakin coming off best & containing Law. There was a tussle between the two about 10 yds up from our penalty area with play moving up-field ( towards the Holte ). Deakin was lying prone on the ground when Law turned back and maliciously kicked him full in the face.
Play was stopped and Law was sent off, I remember this vividly because, for the first ( and last ) time in my life I ran onto the field , and remonstrated with Law who basically told me to F-off. The crowd went ballistic and if Law had´nt gone off I would have feared ( not really!) for his well being , mainly from other Villa Players. Law was abrilliant, dirty , cowardly back-street bully, type of player. Deakin was no Angel but he certainly did´nt deserve what Law did to him.......................R.I.P indeed, Alan , you ,´ Slogger´  Sleewenhoek and AlanTindall  were the best of ´Mercers Minor´s .............Godzvilla!
VILLA...Starting lineup:
Goalkeeper Geoff Sidebottom
Defender/Right back Mick Wright
Left back Charlie Aitken
Centre half John Sleeuwenhoek
Wing half Alan Deakin
Wing half Dave Pountney
Outside Left Harry Burrows
Outside right Tommy Ewing
Outside right Jimmy MacEwan
Centre forward Tony Hateley
Inside Forward/Wing half Ron Wylie

MAN.UTD.
 Goalkeeper Harry Gregg
Defender Bill Foulkes
Defender/Left back Tony Dunne
Left back Noel Cantwell
Midfielder Paddy Crerand
Midfielder Graham Moore
Wing half Maurice Setters
Midfielder/Forward Bobby Charlton
Centre forward David Herd
Forward Denis Law
Inside forward Albert Quixall

Offline brian green

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 01:58:26 PM »
Thank you godzvilla.  Brings it all back.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 01:59:07 PM »
Very sad news one of my favourite players from the 60s, as others have mentioned part of a  famous half back line of Tindall, Slogger and Deakin. A talented player, whose career was blighted by injury, during his time with us he suffered a broken leg, fractured ankle, broken toe and twisted knee. He did however finish his career as captain.

Glad to see his passing has been mentioned on Sky Sports. He played over 230 games for us and hopefully he will be remembered on Saturday with a deserved round of applause.

RIP Alan

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 02:20:41 PM »
He, Slogger and Hateley were my first favourites. I remember reading of him missing the chance to beat Spurs at WHL when the score was 5-5.

I suppose it must have been injury, but he seemed to fade away quickly.

Wish I could remember exactly what he'd done to annoy Denis Law (apart from his head being a tempting target)!
The day of 5-5 game at WHL my late father and I  were watching the reserves at VP - the bloke manning the scoreboard was really busy that day - there weren't many communication outlets back then but before we left to go home word had soon got around that Alan Deakin had missed a sitter in the last minute - must have been via a radio commentary or through one of the Argus hacks on a phone in the press box - incredible

My lasting memory of Alan was walking behind him after a game at Bramhall Lane - me and dad were heading back to the station (for the Villa special)and Alan and another guy (presumably the trainer) were heading for the hospital on foot - Alan had been injured in the game and was going for an X-ray at the local A&E !!
No fancy taxis or ambulances for footballers in those days.

A Villa stalwart was Alan - RIP 

Offline brian green

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 03:01:29 PM »
That 5 - 5 game sticks in my memory too.  I was due to have an interview at Margaret Street College of Art on the Monday morning and my mother insisted that I should have a haircut. (not really necessary because I was brilliant) and I sat in the chair of Mr Les Joyner on the Warwick Rd Greet listening to the goals rain in.  He was a Nose so he turned off the radio when Alan Deakin missed a sitter for our sixth goal.  I sometimes think I dreamed all this.  Like beating Brizzle 5-0.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »
Apologies for repeating what I've posted before on the 5-5.  Me and the old man couldn't afford to go to that match so, went up the Sty instead.  The half-time score came up as either 4-1 or 5-1 I can't remember.  What I do remember though is the cheering from the noses and thinking that that was either eight or nine goals we'd shipped in one-and-a-half games as the previous week we'd been turned over by four at home to Fulham I think it was.

After the game was over, we hung around for the full-time score and for the life of me I can't think why as I was expecting double figures!  Anyway, the score came up 5-5 and we thought the scoreboard blokes were taking the piss, no transistors at football matches those days.  Me and the old man walked back into town just in time for the early editions of the Argus to hit the streets.  5-5 it was, couldn't believe it, and the fact that it could have been 5-6 felt like we'd lost, wins at WHL were a rarity back then.

Godzvilla, that's just as I remember the Denis Law incident too and you couldn't have been too far away from me as I was stood down the Witton End that day.  I must admit I don't remember your cameo though.  Too incensed with Law I suppose.   Sendings off were also a rare sight back then.

I remember going to Goodison Park in 1966 to watch us.  I was an apprentice at the time and the bloke I was attached to was a Scouser that supported Everton.  We were two down and the match was drawing to a close when Everton attacked again which was broken up by Alan Deakin,  Colin Withers was on the edge of the penalty area and shouted 'yes Al' and Alan obviously thought he was further back than he was as instead of just tapping it back to Withers, he put his boot through it and it went flying straight into the net, you couldn't help but laugh.  Boom 3-0!  If memory serves, I think we pulled one back.

Alan Deakin RIP you stalwart.

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 03:52:09 PM »
I had just started going regularly in 1963-6 season, having left school in the summer. Standing in the Trinity Road enclosure I remember the Man U game and Law kicking /stamping Deakin on the head as Deakin lay on the ground. When Law's name is mentioned, usually in adulation it seems, the memory of the dirty coward's action comes to the fore
The half back line of Tindall, Slogger and Deakin had its potential ruined by serious leg/ankle injuries to both Tindall and Deakin; they were never the same afterwards.

I have a memory of an England U23 game being shown on the BBC, circa 1962-63, in which Slogger, Deakin and Burrows played. Hope that is not a false one down to old age!

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 03:53:58 PM »
Alan Deakin was a fine player whose career was ruined by injury.

RIP, Alan.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 04:40:55 PM »
16 Nov 1963 , Villa beat a highly fancied Utd side 4 nil . Hately (2) Burrows & Deakin himself, were the scorers.
I  was young man standing down front of the Witton End , Law & Deakin had been at it all the game, with Deakin coming off best & containing Law. There was a tussle between the two about 10 yds up from our penalty area with play moving up-field ( towards the Holte ). Deakin was lying prone on the ground when Law turned back and maliciously kicked him full in the face.
Play was stopped and Law was sent off, I remember this vividly because, for the first ( and last ) time in my life I ran onto the field , and remonstrated with Law who basically told me to F-off. The crowd went ballistic and if Law had´nt gone off I would have feared ( not really!) for his well being , mainly from other Villa Players. Law was abrilliant, dirty , cowardly back-street bully, type of player. Deakin was no Angel but he certainly did´nt deserve what Law did to him.......................R.I.P indeed, Alan , you ,´ Slogger´  Sleewenhoek and AlanTindall  were the best of ´Mercers Minor´s .............Godzvilla!
What isn't often mentioned in reports of the 1963 game, which tend to concentrate on the Law kicking, is the quality of Deakin's goal, a thundering volley from (as I recall) well outside the box. I'd put it in the top 10 of Villa goals I've seen live.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 04:58:11 PM »
That match cemented my youthful belief that we were going to win every match. From 63-66 the spine of the team were burnt into me, along with the kit of that period (I had a knock-off replica) and the music. I didn’t go to every game (none of my family were interested in football and I had no money) but I don’t recall attending a home game that we lost until we were in the second division.

Alan, like the rest of them, are still young men in their prime for me.

Sigh.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 06:47:12 PM »
I had just started going regularly in 1963-6 season, having left school in the summer. Standing in the Trinity Road enclosure I remember the Man U game and Law kicking /stamping Deakin on the head as Deakin lay on the ground. When Law's name is mentioned, usually in adulation it seems, the memory of the dirty coward's action comes to the fore
The half back line of Tindall, Slogger and Deakin had its potential ruined by serious leg/ankle injuries to both Tindall and Deakin; they were never the same afterwards.

I have a memory of an England U23 game being shown on the BBC, circa 1962-63, in which Slogger, Deakin and Burrows played. Hope that is not a false one down to old age!

I know I definitely saw an England U23 match at the Sty that included Deakin and Sleeuenhoek.  I can't remember who the opposition were unfortunately.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal