collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan Deakin  (Read 8339 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Alan Deakin
« on: January 03, 2018, 02:34:27 AM »
I've just found out that Alan died on Tuesday evening after a short illness. He was 76.

RIP and best wishes to his family. He was a true gent on the occasions when I met him; I'm sure those with longer memories than mine will be able to tell us about their recollections of his playing career.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: Alan Deakin
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:45:21 AM »
I was a regular at Villa Park when Alan was captain it's a long time ago but I remember he was a solid player more reliable than spectacular. It's a credit to him that he played so many games for Villa another Villain gone.
R.I.P

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 02:53:37 AM »
RIP Alan

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 07:52:47 AM »
Very sorry to hear this and condolences to his family. Memories are a bit hazy from that long ago but I think that I recall him as one of 'Mercer's Minors' along with Mike Tindall and John Sleeuwenhoek. My 1st heroes.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 08:01:35 AM »
He, Slogger and Hateley were my first favourites. I remember reading of him missing the chance to beat Spurs at WHL when the score was 5-5.

I suppose it must have been injury, but he seemed to fade away quickly.

Wish I could remember exactly what he'd done to annoy Denis Law (apart from his head being a tempting target)!

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 08:04:50 AM »
Sorry if I missed it on here but Jimmy MacEwan died recently too. My sister interviewed him shortly before he passed away and he was in good spirits. She attended the funeral and Sid, Colin Gibson, Des Bremner, Ken McNaught and Tony Morley were also there.

I saw him play for the Old Stars when I was a lad and got his autograph. RIP to both Jimmy and Alan.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 09:04:58 AM »
How sad R.I.P

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 09:09:34 AM »
RIP.

Offline The Charmer

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 09:16:50 AM »
R.I.P. Alan

I also remember Alan alongside my early Villa heroes like Harry Burrows and Tony Hateley.

Woofles mentioned the infamous Denis Law incident.
If I remember correctly that lead to our best result of a difficult season, 4-0 and Alan was one of the scorers.

Offline Wearie Willie

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »
R.I.P Alan

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 09:48:07 AM »
R.I.P Alan.  One of my favourites, as Scratchins said, a Mercer Minors half back line of Tindall, Slogger and Deakin.
I remember he suffered a broken leg and or ankle which ultimately slowed down his career and allegedly allowed Bobby Moore to take his place in an international call up.  Not sure if that is true or simply something we Villa fans liked to think was the case.  Saw him play for Walsall a few times as well.

Online papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
Sad news. He was playing when I started to go to the games regularly. As Woofles suggested his career seemed to come to an abrupt end. RIP.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 10:00:59 AM »
I remember well the emergence of those Mercer Minors.  Alan Deakin was one of those the like of which I hadn't seen up to that point.  The likes of Alan and John Sleuenhoek had international futures ahead of them.  Alan Deakin suffered a broken leg, against whom I can't remember but was never the same player after.  He went on to serve the Villa well in times that began so promising but fell away to decline.  As it ever seems to be with the Villa, lack of foresight.  RIP Alan, condolences to your family and friends and thank you.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 10:22:57 AM »
One of my first Villa heroes, Alan was a solid player who was at one time tipped for England honours after Under 23 caps.
My first Villa team was routed out of my wooden rattle which I still have, made in woodwork at school.
Withers: Wright Aitken: Chatterley Sleeuwenheok Deakin: McLeod Mitchinson Greenhalgh Godfrey Anderson.
RIP Alan

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 10:26:19 AM »
While living in The Cotswolds I used to organise games between my village side and the Old Stars in the 1990's. I had the pleasure of meeting Alan on a couple of occasions and as Dave said, he was a gentleman and great company.

Rest In Peace Alan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal