collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread 2018  (Read 143768 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: The International Cricket Thread 2018
« Reply #990 on: August 20, 2018, 03:17:54 PM »
The openers just aren't doing their job in protecting the lower order by taking the new ball on and sticking around.  Jennings just isn't good enough, and Cook looks like he's had his day.  They just don't seem to have the right mentality for it to be honest.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #991 on: August 20, 2018, 05:20:26 PM »
India are miles ahead and doubtless we will be all out by tea tomorrow, but Rahane has played a very peculiar innings none the less

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #992 on: August 20, 2018, 05:35:52 PM »
If we start losing, the mentality seems to be to give in and focus on the next match; as if it is all throw-away and doesn't matter.

Yep and has been for sometime.  Once India had put a decent first innings score on the board and we lost a couple of early wickets, it was if they decided that it was game over and as you say time to move on to the next one. 

That must come from the captain and coach these the tone on and off the field.

Agree and the test team has undoubtedly regressed under Bayliss.  You do have to wonder about the influence of the three most senior players as well (Cook, Broad and Anderson), especially as the ODI side has looked a really cohesive unit without any of those three in it.

You can't blame Broad and Anderson for the batting being shit though.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #993 on: August 20, 2018, 05:46:04 PM »
9 overs to bat for England tonight, so most probably 2 wickets or so down going into tomorrow.

Would be a bit of a triumph for this batting line up to extend the match into tomorrows evening session. Cannot see that though.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #994 on: August 20, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »
I’d bet a reasonable amount of money that Jennings, and probably Cook, won’t see the close.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #995 on: August 20, 2018, 06:12:11 PM »
If we start losing, the mentality seems to be to give in and focus on the next match; as if it is all throw-away and doesn't matter.

Yep and has been for sometime.  Once India had put a decent first innings score on the board and we lost a couple of early wickets, it was if they decided that it was game over and as you say time to move on to the next one. 

Agree and the test team has undoubtedly regressed under Bayliss.  You do have to wonder about the influence of the three most senior players as well (Cook, Broad and Anderson), especially as the ODI side has looked a really cohesive unit without any of those three in it.

You can't, but you do have to wonder what the atmosphere around that team is like, especially for younger players coming in.  Something hasn't been right in that environment for some time now.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #996 on: August 20, 2018, 06:14:13 PM »

You can't, but you do have to wonder what the atmosphere around that team is like, especially for younger players coming in.  Something hasn't been right in that environment for some time now.

I'd agree with that. Probably goes back to the drubbing we had in the 2013 ashes in Oz.

There was definitely a big clique involving Broad, Swann, Prior and Anderson, yet Pietersen was made the scapegoat for the tour.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #997 on: August 20, 2018, 06:34:28 PM »
Blimey I’m amazed they survived.

Offline Risso

« Reply #998 on: August 21, 2018, 11:11:48 AM »
Blimey I’m amazed they survived.

You weren't far off to be honest, Jennings lasted a whole 5 balls.  That'll see him dropped hopefully, he's been utterly useless.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #999 on: August 21, 2018, 11:13:26 AM »
He never looks settled at international level. I know sometimes you get a player like Bell who improves after a slow start to their international career but nothing that Jennings does has convinced me he will be good enough.

Get him dropped.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1000 on: August 21, 2018, 11:17:08 AM »
And there goes Cook as well.  Game over.

Even by Engand opening standards, these two have been dismal.  Cook needs to retire.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1001 on: August 21, 2018, 11:19:31 AM »
With no Jonny, this could be over by lunch.

No point in him risking doing more damage

Online aj2k77

« Reply #1002 on: August 21, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »
Anyone else sick of seeing Cook drop catches and go cheaply? He's been poor for a few years now.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #1003 on: August 21, 2018, 11:53:33 AM »
That simply has to be it for Jennings. Not good enough remotely at this level. Cook may find a reprieve as there isn't too many openers banging the door down apart from Rory Burns.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1004 on: August 21, 2018, 12:10:42 PM »
He never looks settled at international level. I know sometimes you get a player like Bell who improves after a slow start to their international career but nothing that Jennings does has convinced me he will be good enough.

Get him dropped.

What is concerning is that he's been dismissed in this test in exactly the same fashion he was dismissed regularly last summer by the South Africans.  The only real question lefty is whether he would fare better away from home where the ball doesn't do as much, but I am not sure he is going to get that opportunity. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal