collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread 2018  (Read 143762 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: The International Cricket Thread 2018
« Reply #525 on: June 13, 2018, 07:06:18 PM »
This is really poor, we keep making bad decisions when we’re in control.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #526 on: June 13, 2018, 07:38:33 PM »
This is really poor, we keep making bad decisions when we’re in control.

Green top on the pitch though and I did find myself wondering during the Aussie innings if it's causing the ball to stick in a little, the Ali wickets definitely looked like that and a small change like that is all it needs to mess up the timing.  Buttler in particular seemed to be getting through the shots slightly early.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #527 on: June 13, 2018, 07:46:15 PM »
Maybe so, but I think England need to be careful. They’ll win this but they’ve looked a bit complacent in last couple of games. There’s a balance to be struck between being reasonably assured of your place and by it becoming a closed shop. The continued inclusion of Billings in and around the squad is indicative of the latter.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #528 on: June 13, 2018, 07:56:15 PM »
Good job from Willey at the end.

Online paul_e

« Reply #529 on: June 13, 2018, 08:11:31 PM »

Agreed, really grown-up performance from him in a potentially tricky situation.

Maybe so, but I think England need to be careful. They’ll win this but they’ve looked a bit complacent in last couple of games. There’s a balance to be struck between being reasonably assured of your place and by it becoming a closed shop. The continued inclusion of Billings in and around the squad is indicative of the latter.

I agree on this, which is why I still think Hain and Archer (so long as they stop being silly) should come into the mix.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #530 on: June 13, 2018, 08:16:11 PM »
For the second game running Ali hasn’t stuck around with the tail to see us home. He always seemed to bat well with the tail in tests, why can’t he do it in ODI’s? It cost us against Scotland thankfully Willey saw us home tonight.

I do wonder if this squad is affected by the number one ranking, they seem to have taken their collective eye off the ball.

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #531 on: June 13, 2018, 08:18:07 PM »

Agreed, really grown-up performance from him in a potentially tricky situation.

I agree on this, which is why I still think Hain and Archer (so long as they stop being silly) should come into the mix.

Hain is certainly in the selector’s mind, he is in the latest Lions squad.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #532 on: June 14, 2018, 11:37:11 AM »
I have always been a great fan of Moeen and until such time as a quality spinner comes along he is still our best option but the coaches really need to work with him on his game mgmt - this is the 3rd time in a week where he has been in a situation where run a ball and waiting for any bad ball to dispatch for 4 was the order of the day but he has continued to go in the air and got out when red-inkers were the requirement.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #533 on: June 14, 2018, 12:23:40 PM »
For the second game running Ali hasn’t stuck around with the tail to see us home. He always seemed to bat well with the tail in tests, why can’t he do it in ODI’s? It cost us against Scotland thankfully Willey saw us home tonight.

I do wonder if this squad is affected by the number one ranking, they seem to have taken their collective eye off the ball.

It just seems that the team philosophy in limited over games is to keep playing shots and trust your teammates. It has to be said that it works most of the time.

Online paul_e

« Reply #534 on: June 14, 2018, 01:19:47 PM »

It just seems that the team philosophy in limited over games is to keep playing shots and trust your teammates. It has to be said that it works most of the time.

Yep and I'm ok with it, when it goes wrong it looks bad (like the scotland game) but that mentality has driven us to the top spot in this format so it's clearly working for us.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #535 on: June 14, 2018, 01:28:27 PM »

Yep and I'm ok with it, when it goes wrong it looks bad (like the scotland game) but that mentality has driven us to the top spot in this format so it's clearly working for us.

I thought Broad's comments in commentary were quite revealing.  Ian Ward asked him if Ali would be questioned in the dressing room about getting out to that kind of shot at such a crucial time.  Broad's reply was along the lines of that's the way he plays, some you win and some you lose.  All good and well in ODIs, but I would like to know if that is the approach across all formats.  It certainly would explain the batting performances in test cricket if it was. 

I agree with your point about trying some new players in this series Paul.  Not because anyone deserves to be dropped at this point, but just to have a look at some possible options.  Hain would be one I would look at batting at three and although he blotted his copybook down in Australia, I would like to see Duckett maybe get another chance.   

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #536 on: June 14, 2018, 03:51:08 PM »
Whilst it’s clear to see that the attacking approach adopted by England over the last couple of years is paying dividends - the results don’t lie- surely there’s a counter argument to adjust your approach to reflect the match conditions? On Sunday, we needed 24 off 27 balls which is easily achievable by farming the strike and dispatching the bad balls to the boundary. Then Ali holed out to long on. As the last recognised batsman it’s his job to see us home not to win the game with four consecutive sixes.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #537 on: June 14, 2018, 09:08:28 PM »
I agree. I think the ‘playing our attacking style’ has paid dividends and generally we should stick to it. But in a situation when you’ve lost wickets, you’re close to the target, and the only way you lose is by being bowled out then logically you should take a pragmatic approach. When you’re so close, why entertain the possibility of defeat?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #538 on: June 15, 2018, 01:08:32 PM »
Afghanistan’s first test didn’t go that well

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/18544/game/1133983/india-vs-afghanistan-only-test-afghanistan-tour-of-india-2018/

Lost 20 wickets in one day. Game over inside two days

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #539 on: June 15, 2018, 09:05:33 PM »
Another ton for Tammy

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal