collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:42:53 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[Today at 10:40:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:38:51 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:29 PM]

Re: Snooker by BC Villain
[Today at 10:30:06 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by The Moose
[Today at 10:15:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:10:53 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by London Villan
[Today at 10:10:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread 2018  (Read 144964 times)

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
Re: The International Cricket Thread 2018
« Reply #660 on: July 26, 2018, 12:10:38 PM »
Rashid named in the Test squad, funny how he's available to play for England in red ball cricket when he announced he would only play white ball cricket at the start of the season. He could have got some practise in during the Roses match instead of Yorkshire borrowing a player for one match.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #661 on: July 26, 2018, 12:15:15 PM »
Rashid named in the Test squad, funny how he's available to play for England in red ball cricket when he announced he would only play white ball cricket at the start of the season. He could have got some practise in during the Roses match instead of Yorkshire borrowing a player for one match.

I think his selection is wrong and undermines county cricket.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #662 on: July 26, 2018, 12:40:37 PM »

The marginalisation of the county game continues.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #663 on: July 26, 2018, 12:47:28 PM »

The marginalisation of the county game continues.

Absolutely.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #664 on: July 26, 2018, 12:52:36 PM »
Hmmm I'm not sure I agree with the Rashid selection either. If you say you're only playing one day cricket, then you're only playing one day cricket. The England selection policy should be lined up to county availability.

Buttler for instance might not play a lot of county cricket, but he hasn't actually made himself unavailable for it.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #665 on: July 26, 2018, 01:21:29 PM »
I really hate the way the 4 day game has been shunted around to make way for all the one day stuff.

Now it appears that you don't even need to play 4 day cricket anymore to get selected for the Test team.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #666 on: July 26, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »
Also, he signed a contract with Yorkshire to play white ball cricket and has now made himself unavailable, I'd be more than happy to see him released from his contract.

Online Villan For Life

« Reply #667 on: July 26, 2018, 02:00:35 PM »
Also, he signed a contract with Yorkshire to play white ball cricket and has now made himself unavailable, I'd be more than happy to see him released from his contract.

This could backfire on him. If Yorkshire release him and you couldn’t blame them if they did, who would sign a player who seems to treat their home county, who spent time and money developing the player from a young age, with such contempt?

He’s a player that I’ve always liked and admired but he’s shown his true, mercenary colours.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #668 on: July 26, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »

This could backfire on him. If Yorkshire release him and you couldn’t blame them if they did, who would sign a player who seems to treat their home county, who spent time and money developing the player from a young age, with such contempt?

He’s a player that I’ve always liked and admired but he’s shown his true, mercenary colours.

I've always been a fan of his but he doesn't do himself any favours. Making himself unavailable for a title decider on the last match of the season in 2016 went down as well as you can imagine with his captain and the members.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #669 on: July 26, 2018, 02:16:01 PM »

I happen to think he is the best spin bowler in the country and has been for some time and his batting ability makes him a very useful lower order player, but this seems a very strange decision.  I would have thought that ruling yourself out of red ball cricket at county level would automatically rule you out of test contention. 

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #670 on: July 26, 2018, 03:03:46 PM »
He did get treated fairly shabbily in the past by the England set up, he was a glorified waiter at one stage.

Online Villan For Life

« Reply #671 on: July 26, 2018, 03:59:55 PM »
It’s ironic that they’ve selected Rashid whilst saying that from next year they are amending the selection criteria to exclude white ball only players.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #672 on: July 26, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
Plunkett is joining Surrey at the end of the season and Rashid hasn't signed a one year white ball contract that I would hope will now be withdrawn. From what Moxon says it looks like Yorkshire have had enough of losing players so often and are now preparing to build a squad of players available for most of the season to play in all forms of cricket.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #673 on: July 27, 2018, 11:53:48 AM »
Plunkett is joining Surrey at the end of the season and Rashid hasn't signed a one year white ball contract that I would hope will now be withdrawn. From what Moxon says it looks like Yorkshire have had enough of losing players so often and are now preparing to build a squad of players available for most of the season to play in all forms of cricket.

Rugby clubs in countries where players are centrally contracted by their Union have gone down that route for quite a while now. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #674 on: July 30, 2018, 11:40:23 AM »
Test series against India starts this week.  Will be interesting to see the make up of the side, but I think we will be looking at a top seven of Cook, Jennings, Root, Malan, Bairstow, Stokes and Buttler.  We have had a bit of rain over the weekend, but we might still plump for two spinners, in which case I think the remainder of the side would be Ali, Rashid, Broad and Anderson.  If it is not felt it is going to be too spinner friendly then I would probably go with Ali and play the extra seamer instead of Rashid (which would then be a straight choice between Curran and Porter). 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal