collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kits 23/24 by Simon Page
[Today at 10:20:43 AM]

FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 10:19:14 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by aj2k77
[Today at 09:29:53 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Kits 23/24 by Simon Page
[Today at 10:20:43 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 10:19:14 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:09:09 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Risso
[Today at 10:08:20 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

Re: International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Re: Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 09:52:01 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread 2018  (Read 143494 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: The International Cricket Thread 2018
« Reply #1350 on: November 09, 2018, 06:55:14 PM »
Stokes to bat at 3. I think that he can adapt his style of play to the circumstances of a game better than Moeen
Next you will be telling me Jedinak can play at centre half?
IMO neither Moeen nor Stoke are anywhere near  Test standard number 3's.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1351 on: November 09, 2018, 07:07:01 PM »
I don’t know about that with Stokes, but I wouldn’t play him there because of his bowling.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #1352 on: November 09, 2018, 11:05:04 PM »
I’d play Stone ahead of Woakes.

Woakes record with the Kookaburra ball is poor and Stone is easily the quickest bowler in the party. That extra yard of pace that Stone has gives our attack a level of variety that we don’t have with Woakes who is similar to the rest of our seam attack. Anderson/Stokes/Broad/Woakes are all too samey.

I think Woakes is competing for a spot with Curran now and I can't see him dislodging him at the moment.  If we are going to play an extra seamer in the next test then I imagine it will be either Broad (likely) or Stone (would like to see him given a go to be honest).  The big question will then be which one of the three spinners is left out of the side.   

Rashid should make way. He bowls too many one day balls. Moeen and Leach offer so much more control and pose a greater wicket threat.

It's a nice problem for England to have at the moment, who to leave out or bring in. The other issue is do you bring back Bairstow? Who could you drop for him though? The squad is looking good, with some very decent players on the sidelines.   

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1353 on: November 10, 2018, 01:26:04 AM »

Woakes record with the Kookaburra ball is poor and Stone is easily the quickest bowler in the party. That extra yard of pace that Stone has gives our attack a level of variety that we don’t have with Woakes who is similar to the rest of our seam attack. Anderson/Stokes/Broad/Woakes are all too samey.

I think Woakes is competing for a spot with Curran now and I can't see him dislodging him at the moment.  If we are going to play an extra seamer in the next test then I imagine it will be either Broad (likely) or Stone (would like to see him given a go to be honest).  The big question will then be which one of the three spinners is left out of the side.   

Rashid should make way. He bowls too many one day balls. Moeen and Leach offer so much more control and pose a greater wicket threat.

It's a nice problem for England to have at the moment, who to leave out or bring in. The other issue is do you bring back Bairstow? Who could you drop for him though? The squad is looking good, with some very decent players on the sidelines.   

4 down we have quality and depth, the top 3 is still a mess. Jennings had a good innings but he's always looked ok against spin and on slow tracks so I'm not sure it can be taken as anything more than him being good for this tour.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #1354 on: November 10, 2018, 02:35:29 AM »

The top three is the only place where there could potentially be some spots available.  I think Ali will have to stay at three for the time being or move to opener and the top three is the only real place I can see Bairstow coming in unless Foakes or Buttler are dropped. 

Offline Andy Poole

« Reply #1355 on: November 10, 2018, 04:40:13 AM »
The talk here in SL is that Bairstow will be fit. I've seen him in the nets every day in Galle. I think he will be back for Kandy.
Rashid will make way for him and Moeen will move down the order with Bairstow at 3. I have a funny feeling Broad will replace Anderson.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #1356 on: November 10, 2018, 08:07:10 AM »
I like Jonny, and think ultimately he comes back into the side, but playing devils advocate what exactly has he done in recent times that warrants an immediate return to the side? His batting in Tests hasn’t been up to much this year. This is a side that has just won. I’d say unless conditions dictate the need for another seamer, which I doubt they’ll be seamer friendly enough to warrant 4 seamers, I wouldn’t change the team.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1357 on: November 10, 2018, 12:42:30 PM »
Stokes to bat at 3. I think that he can adapt his style of play to the circumstances of a game better than Moeen
Next you will be telling me Jedinak can play at centre half?
IMO neither Moeen nor Stoke are anywhere near  Test standard number 3's.

They're not, but neither are any of the other options apart from Root and he won't play there.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #1358 on: November 13, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »
England are unchanged for the next test with Stokes going in at 3 and Ali at 6.

That’s an interesting move, Ali is not a number 3 but is Ben Stokes?

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #1359 on: November 13, 2018, 01:16:23 PM »
He could do be, but I think it’s a challenge if we’re expextinh him to bowl.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #1360 on: November 13, 2018, 01:25:13 PM »

Agree, especially as he has had a few injury problems over the years.   

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1361 on: November 13, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »
England are unchanged for the next test with Stokes going in at 3 and Ali at 6.

As I predicted :)

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #1362 on: November 13, 2018, 02:09:45 PM »

He only bowled 12 overs across both innings of the first test. Are they saving him to use as an impact bowler?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1363 on: November 13, 2018, 02:25:52 PM »

He only bowled 12 overs across both innings of the first test. Are they saving him to use as an impact bowler?

They should be, it's what he's good at. Moving him probably reinforces that I'm happy with this change

Online tomd2103

« Reply #1364 on: November 13, 2018, 03:38:38 PM »

They should be, it's what he's good at. Moving him probably reinforces that I'm happy with this change

It's worth a look I suppose Paul, but I'm not sure it is going to be a permanent solution to the problems at the top of the order.  Burns has got his chance, but I still think Gubbins and Jason Roy could be given a chance, with the latter being a possibility for the three spot.. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal