collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by aldridgeboy
[Today at 08:55:51 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Drummond
[Today at 08:42:47 AM]

FFP by LeeS
[Today at 08:33:24 AM]

International Rugby by nigel
[Today at 07:38:44 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by aldridgeboy
[Today at 08:55:51 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Drummond
[Today at 08:42:47 AM]

Re: FFP by LeeS
[Today at 08:33:24 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:31:06 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:25:12 AM]

Re: FFP by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:12:40 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by RichardBatchelor
[Today at 07:40:42 AM]

Re: International Rugby by nigel
[Today at 07:38:44 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread 2018  (Read 119425 times)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
Re: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread 2018
« Reply #1230 on: December 14, 2018, 10:41:57 PM »
Gutted from a Bears perspective but delighted for Giles: he's had unfinished business with England.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1231 on: December 17, 2018, 12:35:42 AM »
Disappointing news with Giles leaving. He had just started to get the Bears looking really competitive again. Not sure about Andy Flower - I'd prefer Allan Donald back....

To be totally honest, I think Andy Flower would be ideal for the role Giles has left.  AD is more of a coach so would be a better fit for the kind of role Troughton is in (not that Jim should be going anywhere). 

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #1232 on: December 17, 2018, 05:49:07 PM »
Bad news for the Bears!

Still, at least they will have time to make a good decision on a replacement.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1233 on: December 23, 2018, 10:40:17 AM »
Bad news for the Bears!

Still, at least they will have time to make a good decision on a replacement.

I'm not a Bears fan so, I am asking with genuine interest as I'm a midlander and a Pears fan for family reasons, why is Giles the best successor in your view?  I'm pleased for him but was underwhelmed, without really knowing why!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1234 on: December 23, 2018, 11:39:57 AM »
Giles had a fantastic year, took a county that had been comfortably relegated, added a bunch of young players and won the 2nd division playing an aggressive attack which was always chasing wickets and a batting line up that saw the openers steadily improve and form a very solid partnership.

Given he's been around the setup before I'd say he was the obvious choice and i suspect we'll see England continue to evolve with younger players getting plenty of experience.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #1235 on: December 23, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »
Giles had a fantastic year, took a county that had been comfortably relegated, added a bunch of young players and won the 2nd division playing an aggressive attack which was always chasing wickets and a batting line up that saw the openers steadily improve and form a very solid partnership.

Given he's been around the setup before I'd say he was the obvious choice and i suspect we'll see England continue to evolve with younger players getting plenty of experience.

Paul, this is with a club who host test matches and therefore have good resources.  Would Strauss have done any worse with the Bears this season?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1236 on: December 23, 2018, 05:25:55 PM »

Paul, this is with a club who host test matches and therefore have good resources.  Would Strauss have done any worse with the Bears this season?

That's an impossible question to answer in any meaningful way, I'd say maybe but he didn't whilst Giles did. Yes Warwickshire are a big county and should never really have been down there but Middlesex are down there with a bigger ground and more resources. Giles did everything he was tasked to do, which was, promotion, find a functional opening pairing and to start bringing through younger players and did it as consistently the best team in the division, leading to the title.

I'm not saying it was an exceptional job but, for me, all sport comes down to targets and expectations. If you meet or exceed them then you're great, if you fall short then you're shit. Most bears fans expected us to be in the race for promotion and he delivered more than that so he's 'in credit'. Recruiting people who are in credit is normally a decent idea so long as they fit your culture and I think that latter part is where Giles was the clear choice, he's got a great reputation with the ECB.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #1237 on: December 23, 2018, 10:00:58 PM »
Thanks Paul.  I hope you are right and he takes us back to number one in the world in the test and t20 formats of the game. 

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #1238 on: December 24, 2018, 07:41:29 AM »
The England role is more of a glad-handing, PR/media friendly one. I think Giles will thrive in it, he’s got some big decisions ahead of him and hopefully he will make the right ones.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1239 on: December 24, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »

That's an impossible question to answer in any meaningful way, I'd say maybe but he didn't whilst Giles did. Yes Warwickshire are a big county and should never really have been down there but Middlesex are down there with a bigger ground and more resources. Giles did everything he was tasked to do, which was, promotion, find a functional opening pairing and to start bringing through younger players and did it as consistently the best team in the division, leading to the title.

I'm not saying it was an exceptional job but, for me, all sport comes down to targets and expectations. If you meet or exceed them then you're great, if you fall short then you're shit. Most bears fans expected us to be in the race for promotion and he delivered more than that so he's 'in credit'. Recruiting people who are in credit is normally a decent idea so long as they fit your culture and I think that latter part is where Giles was the clear choice, he's got a great reputation with the ECB.

The shorter format competitions were a bit disappointing last season, but the way they gained promotion after overhauling the squad and bringing in a number of younger players definitely deserves credit. 

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1240 on: December 27, 2018, 10:39:46 AM »
Pre Giles, we put all of our eggs in the 20/20 basket which is why we got relegated. Under Giles, we have made great surgery to the squad with Hose, Sidebottom, Sibley etc. He was keen to ship out players over 30 despite them still performing such as Barker and Wright. In essence, maybe the ECB saw a bit of Southgate in him?

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1241 on: January 17, 2019, 06:17:14 PM »
Not good news for Olly Stone. Ruled out of the upcoming tour with a stress fracture of the back. Hope he recovers quickly and can make the start of the new season in April......sounds like the Villa injury curse!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal