collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Memories from 2017  (Read 1638 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Villa Memories from 2017
« on: December 31, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »
Not really enough to fill a postcard, but off patt I would add:

Gabby's winner against them.  That for me is the highlight, just shows  how far we have dropped.
The emergence of Davies.  Still a long way to go but has made a bright start.
Hutton continuing to give 110% - Saunders would have picked you
Villa away support.  Has been magnificient.  Thinking  back as near back as at Leeds.  It was the fans that got us back in the game.

A few downers however, failing to provide everything in the cups.  Failure to really make an inpact in this  league and our continued inability to beat teams on a level with us such as Derby, Leeds, Bristol City, Wolves twice.

As  the Clarey Blue song  goes have seen good times and have seen bad.

Offline nigel

Re: Villa Memories from 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:33:25 PM »

Gabby's winner against them.  That for me is the highlight, just shows  how far we have dropped.
Villa away support.  Has been magnificient.  Thinking  back as near back as at Leeds.  It was the fans that got us back in the game.

A few downers however, failing to provide everything in the cups.  Failure to really make an inpact in this  league and our continued inability to beat teams on a level with us such as Derby, Leeds, Bristol City, Wolves twice.

Yes, AH is 100% committed, which is great, but, ahead of Gidman or Swain? I think not, buddy. Even on the left ahead of Gibson or Williams wouldn't have happened.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 10:55:45 PM »
Hull city 1.1 draw first and last home game for me, went to oz in The end of august. Overall 2017 has been disappointing highlight Johnstones improvement and Alberts goals

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:58:48 PM »

Yes, AH is 100% committed, which is great, but, ahead of Gidman or Swain? I think not, buddy. Even on the left ahead of Gibson or Williams wouldn't have happened.

But on a par with Smith.  Not much in it.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 11:22:32 PM »

I met Hutton at Acorns when the Villa visited before Christmas. Nice guy with an air of menace about him. He could play a gangster in films. I wanted to tell him I thought he was the only one who could hold his head up high after our relegation season. He was about the only one who didn't throw the towel in as far as I'm concerned. I chose not to voice my opinion with all the other players around!

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 06:06:28 AM »
Who is Davies? I think you mean Davis...

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 07:57:43 AM »
Generally pretty good overall once we got past Jan 2017 but still not convincing enough to make you think we are anything more than a team that can beat the dross but loses to anyone decent. This calendar year there's been  far too many games that I've attended where we have won but been pretty average to the point opposition fans on the train home are wondering how they've lost that game: Derby and Norwich last season, Fulham this just to give three examples. Norwich at home this season has been the most entertaining game I can recall this year while beating Ipswich 2-0 was probably our most controlled performance of the year. It's good we are winning away more but we seem to have started to drop them at home a bit more in recent weeks. We don't need to play such a deep midfield and we don't play to the strengths of certain players.
Best players of the year - Kodjia, Chester, Hutton, Adomah and - never thought I'd say this - Terry. Mention for Nathan Baker too for last season. Mind boggling why we sold him.
Most improved player - Johnstone. Disaster at start, excellent now.

Highlight of year - Norwich at home, six goals and the sort of game Fulham enjoy once every other week it seems.
Denying Brighton the title was fun too, actually felt like we had achieved something and it shut them up which was nice, especially as they certainly would not have to deserved to beat us with that dodgy penalty.

Lowlight - Brentford in mid week and too many away games last season.

The future? Who knows. Well we will be around the playoffs but whether our performances are good enough to get us up who knows. Bristol at home tonight will be good acid test.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:59:53 AM by Deano's Mullet »

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »
Pretty shit all round.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »
I think we can set the bar fairly low for 2017.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal