collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mark Walters dealing with racism in Scotland BBC article  (Read 4160 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Mark Walters dealing with racism in Scotland BBC article
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 05:32:38 PM »
Did we get much for him? Were ye pissed off with him when he left or was it understandable given how 2010s-like shite we had become? I was young, I didn't know a thing at all.

About £600k if I remember rightly, which was a hell of a lot of money back then (and he was worth even more really). He had his heart set on a move during the relegation season but I thought he’d stay once Taylor took over but it never happened. The fans were gutted but we had Tony Daley up and coming so that softened the blow. Imagine having players of that quality coming along more or less at the same time. Two terrific players

Green, o'Hare and Grealish, used properly, could be an excellent attacking midfield.  The difference between now and then, mainly, is that top clubs (prem or top half of the champ) are far less willing to throw kids in for a few games, then rest, then in for a few more.  It's just easier to let a smaller club do the work and then buy the end product.  That's the cycle we need to break.  The biggest issue is that the clubs who are least likely to use the academy kids (man city, chelsea, man utd in particular) find any 15-16 year olds with promise and flood their academies only for the players to be stuck in a cycle of reserves and loans until they're 22-23.

Correct, which is why I think when we run out of money we might actually start behaving like a proper football club again.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 05:41:16 PM »
I was gutted when Mark left, but in true SGT style he took a third of the cash we got in and bought David Platt.

Offline cdward

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 07:14:05 PM »
I remember his brother Robert, he was the world record holder of keepy uppys or something like that, and he came on the pitch at half time at one home game and did keepy uppys from the Holte to the Wittin End.
I was gutted when Walters left, you could tell he was the real deal. You knew he would go on to better things. It was like losing Yorke, Barry or Milner, or even Ashley Young you couldn't really hold it against a player that would go on and win silverware elsewhere.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 07:48:19 PM »
I remember seeing him on Record breakers!!

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 08:20:13 PM »

Him? Wasn't his cousin or something a keepy-up champion?

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 08:25:19 PM »

Him? Wasn't his cousin or something a keepy-up champion?

Yea, his cousin or brother.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal