collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: World Class Villa Players  (Read 8234 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: World Class Villa Players
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »
Only one charity game but true world class wearing the shirt.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2017, 06:27:37 PM »
McGrath, without question, was one of the best ever. We've had precious few of those in my time but some who were among the best in the world in their time.

Platt was definitely one of them. 89/90 made him; it was the time he went from a hard worker with a great footballing brain to a proper leader who could completely boss games. He proved it beyond any doubt with what he did in Italy and with England.

Yorke was sublime. So much natural talent and you could put him in any team and he shone. Another who, while not in a greatest of all time squad, would have walked into any side in the world from 94 onwards and been in the starting 11 more often than not.

Sid, Little and Shaw had awareness and skill that made them stand above most whenever they were fit. Don't know if they would have gone beyond that but for injuries but, again, there aren't many sides they wouldn't have got into in their pomp.

Andy Gray was a phenomenal number 9. I'd say Shearer was undoubtedly world class and that Gray was his 70s/80s doppelganger.

Dennis Mortimer is worth a shout as he was the epitome of that dominant midfielder the Germans in particular used to spew out back in the day. Of his type, he was definitely up there. Similarly, John Gidman elevated full back play to a level few in his position had at the time. Now there are loads of Gidmans, but not so many when he came to prominence.

I wouldn't argue against any of that bunch being called world class. I reckon they could, for a decent chunk of their careers, have got a gig anywhere. In today's world where billionaires collect players for fun, this lot wouldn't have just found themselves being paid shed loads, they would have been playing regularly in top sides too.

Barry and Milner come close as they are so consistently excellent at what they do, even if that isn't usually edge of the seat stuff. Ashley Young has impressed with the way he has held down a spot at Old Trafford even though he's not in his favoured role of star man. Many players who are Billy Big Bollocks go missing when they move to a club that has bigger names, but he hasn't. You wouldn't find many who'd dub these three world class, but it's amazing how long they've excelled at the very top of the game in an era where managers get to just spend with wild abandon. Southgate probably would have come into this category too. It's the consistency that marks this bunch out.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2017, 06:57:05 PM »

I was at the game. A Friday night wasn't it? But I wouldn't exactly call Nicky Cross 'true world class'.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2017, 10:21:40 PM »

I was at the game. A Friday night wasn't it? But I wouldn't exactly call Nicky Cross 'true world class'.

But Des Bremner? A yes from me.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2017, 10:25:33 PM »
I was a bit concerned that in my attempt to make a joke about Nicky Cross, I may have mistakenly got my Albion players mixed up and instead shown a total lack of respect to his lookalike, the genuinely world class Barry Cowdrill.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2017, 10:27:09 PM »
World class isn’t a clear definition

If it means could play in any side in the world, since I started following villa it’s probably McGrath, platt and yorke

Benteke, young, Bosnich had spells not too far off that but didn’t sustain it enough

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2017, 11:31:12 PM »
I would say only McGrath is truly world class if I am being honest.

That being said, I am sure but for an obnoxious tosser called Ian Bowyer Gary Shaw could have become that. He was a superb footballer and such a shame his career was finished by an injury that could have been avoided.

Similarly I think the same re Gordon Cowans but the English press at the time had such a love in about Glenn Hoddle it was untrue and neither of them could get a game at times lol. There again, Dennis Mortimer never got a cap

Offline luke95

« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2017, 08:28:59 AM »

#7 ? .. is it not Ray Walker ?

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »

You can only say what you see.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2017, 09:28:03 AM »
I was slightly embarrassed as a kid when my mum saw Ray Walker either in a picture or on telly and announced "ooh, he is good looking". I can't think of Ray Walker without hearing in my head Alan Parry's Port Vale v Spurs commentary, "ooh Ray Walker". To be fair he was describing his goal as opposed to agreeing with my mum about his looks.

It is Ray Walker, as although it looks like Des Bremner from the back he had left earlier that season.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:29:55 AM by Damo70 »

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2017, 09:34:29 AM »
Allan Evans is in the background, close to the, er, crowd.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »

You can only say what you see.

It’s good but it’s not right.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal