collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: World Class Villa Players  (Read 8214 times)

Offline ColinMac

• GM : 12.05.2021
Re: World Class Villa Players
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 01:16:33 PM »
For me world class means capable of playing in the top teams in the world, club or internationally. I.e., Yorke after he left us played for the best team in Europe and excelled, so I think he qualifies as the form he showed for us did not stop.
Yorke went on to win European Cup so that puts the 82 team up there.

Does winning the European Cup makes Djimi Traore and Igor Biscan world class?

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 01:27:14 PM »
World Cup and European Championship winner Robert Pires?

Offline Boz

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 01:38:07 PM »
Gerry Hitchens

Offline Damo70

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 01:40:13 PM »
I am going to interpret 'world class' as capable of looking good in a World Cup finals tournament based on their performances for Villa and at international level for those who got a chance.

Schmeichel and Terry proved themselves over and over again for club and country (pre Villa). McGrath and Platt each proved themselves in both World Cup and European Championship tournaments. Yorke and Bosnich at their best would have been first pick in a number of International teams far stronger than those they qualified for. It has been said on here numerous times about how much better and more successful Gary Shaw was in his early twenties than Gary Lineker was around the same time and age. I would have loved to have seen how Tony Morley would have performed in Espana '82 if Don Howe hadn't pushed Greenwood to pick Graham Rix instead and how Glenn Hoddle got five times as many caps as Sid is a disgrace. Sid was his equal in skill and his superior in work rate and tackling.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 01:44:29 PM »
I am going to interpret 'world class' as capable of looking good in a World Cup finals tournament based on their performances for Villa and at international level for those who got a chance.

Ron Vlaar and (to a lesser extent) Alpay, come on down and collect your World-class accolades.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »
The neaest we have had must be Paul McGrath. 

Andy Gray could have been world class if he had stuck with the Villa first time round - unfortunately no one else.  We  have had an abundance of extremely good  players but when you use the term World Class the likes of Bobby Charlton, Pele, Cryuff come to mind. 

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 01:48:11 PM »

Ron Vlaar and (to a lesser extent) Alpay, come on down and collect your World-class accolades.

Haha yes and both were not goood enough the lace Martin Laursens boots

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 01:52:15 PM »
Are we talking world class whilst at Villa?  If so, then McGrath, Platt and Yorke.  If not, then Schmiechal, Terry, Pires.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »
World class is described as something or someone being 'one of the best in the world'. So where is the cut off? Top 6 players in their position as voted for or as a general consensus? Top 5, top 10...?
What is someone is currently the 5th best centre forward in the world but you could name a dozen players from 20 years ago that were better?
McGrath was in the top 2-3 centre backs in the world when he played for us, so I'd count him. Schmeicel was the best GK in the world for a time when he was at Man Utd. Bosnich arguably in the top 5 GK in the world when with us.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 02:09:40 PM »
I am convinced Bosnich was on his way to being the best goalkeeper in the world in the mid nineties. It is amazing how the Old Trafford careers of him and his holiday/drinking/partying/womanising partner in crime Dwight Yorke were polar opposites.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 02:14:39 PM »
I think his poor kicking was highlighted quite early at Man Utd, Ferguson lost faith and Bozzie lost confidence. Still no excuse to piss his career away though. I think once Yorkie had 'made it' there it took his foot off the peddle and should have been great for them for longer.

Another consideration is how long do you have to be at the very top for, C Ronaldo and Scholes did it for years, Platty and the Brazilian Ronaldo for a lot less time but they were still really great for a while.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »
For me world class means capable of playing in the top teams in the world, club or internationally. I.e., Yorke after he left us played for the best team in Europe and excelled, so I think he qualifies as the form he showed for us did not stop.
Yorke went on to win European Cup so that puts the 82 team up there.

Does winning the European Cup makes Djimi Traore and Igor Biscan world class?
That is the point I was trying to make. Everybody has a different version of World Class except that we would all agree on the True greats Maradona Pele Cruyf Charlton.
There is no difinitive criteria.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 02:44:31 PM »
I am convinced Bosnich was on his way to being the best goalkeeper in the world in the mid nineties. It is amazing how the Old Trafford careers of him and his holiday/drinking/partying/womanising partner in crime Dwight Yorke were polar opposites.

According to Roy Keane's book apparently Bosnich rocked up late for training on his first day, wasn't apologetic and brushed it off.  Keane wasn't impressed and never changed his mind about Bosnich from then on.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 02:49:20 PM »
World class is described as something or someone being 'one of the best in the world'. So where is the cut off? Top 6 players in their position as voted for or as a general consensus? Top 5, top 10...?
What is someone is currently the 5th best centre forward in the world but you could name a dozen players from 20 years ago that were better?
McGrath was in the top 2-3 centre backs in the world when he played for us, so I'd count him. Schmeicel was the best GK in the world for a time when he was at Man Utd. Bosnich arguably in the top 5 GK in the world when with us.

My measure is Top 2-3.

McGrath is only qualifier when he was with us.

Offline Pete

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 03:28:23 PM »
I guess Peter Schmeichel, though that was short term. For a period in his career, Bosnich was world class, he'd make saves few would, though his kicking was awful.

Bosnich was one of a number of Villa players who could have been world class but didn't quite make it for a number of reasons. See also Shaw G (injuries) and Platt D (conveniently forgets he played for the Villa).

Platt was undoubtedly World Class for a while.

In my time watching us the ones I would class as World Class, at least for a spell, were Platt, McGrath, Yorke, Bosnich and Benteke.

Benteke? I wouldn't say a striker who has never scored 20 league goals in a season and has just a dozen international goals is anywhere near. He was on fire at times for us it is true, but wasn't up with the best in the world.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal